• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do people do when the books they want are in private collections?

80 posts in this topic

I collect high grade golden age, as I know do some others. As the title indicates, I am wondering what other people do when the issues they are looking for are just not available and/or not for sale.

Do you just move on to something else? Purchase a lower grade filler copy in hopes that some day the book will become available? Surf the net on a continous basis in hopes that the book(s) will one day surface?

Just curious to hear people's thoughts, because I think about this quite often.

You need to find out who the "private collectors" are and try to strike up a dialogue with them, with one of the topics being that you would sure love to be considered if they should ever decide to sell this and that book. Many so-called permanent collections do move at some point, sometimes sooner than you expect.

I see so many collectors who think the only way to assemble a collection is to passively wait for stuff to come up on the market and then outbid everyone else for them when they do. Obviously you have to do that too, but the networking aspect is really overlooked. You have to network with the dealers and the big collectors, talk to them, cajole them, and most of all, let them know what you're looking for, so you're at the top of the list to be called or emailed when a book comes up.

You need to find out who the "private collectors" are and try to strike up a dialogue with them, with one of the topics being that you would sure love to be considered if they should ever decide to sell this and that book. Many so-called permanent collections do move at some point, sometimes sooner than you expect.

I see so many collectors who think the only way to assemble a collection is to passively wait for stuff to come up on the market and then outbid everyone else for them when they do. Obviously you have to do that too, but the networking aspect is really overlooked. You have to network with the dealers and the big collectors, talk to them, cajole them, and most of all, let them know what you're looking for, so you're at the top of the list to be called or emailed when a book comes up.

Good advice! My bag is GGA, and I pretty much know who the owners are of a good portion of the books I want. I have corresponded with several of the private owners (three board members in particular), but in the majority of cases, the books are just not for sale, no matter what the offer. As you say though, networking is a good way to get the word out about what you are after...

Networking has lead to the acquisition of at least 2 high grade books in my collection. Here's hoping for more. :P

Thanks again for the advice!

I collect high grade golden age, as I know do some others. As the title indicates, I am wondering what other people do when the issues they are looking for are just not available and/or not for sale.

Do you just move on to something else? Purchase a lower grade filler copy in hopes that some day the book will become available? Surf the net on a continous basis in hopes that the book(s) will one day surface?

money talks :cool:

money talks :cool:

I thought the same thing. For some boardies, however, money is just not an issue, it seems. Especially for highest or 2nd highest graded copies.

Incriminating photos never hurt. hm

Good advice! My bag is GGA, and I pretty much know who the owners are of a good portion of the books I want. I have corresponded with several of the private owners (three board members in particular), but in the majority of cases, the books are just not for sale, no matter what the offer. As you say though, networking is a good way to get the word out about what you are after...

Networking has lead to the acquisition of at least 2 high grade books in my collection. Here's hoping for more. :P

Thanks again for the advice!

Great Stuff!!! This topic relates to me!!!!

I find myself waiting for books to come up constantly!!! Usually without sucess!!!!

I, at times feel like I don't want to intrude on someone's privacy!!!

So I am probably too patient, and not getting books I want!!!!! :tonofbricks:

I havew missed out on some books I really wanted because someone else wanted them more. For example a few years back Batman 68 8.0 was auction on CLINK. I lost out even though I bid triple guide. Six months later it was in another CLINK auction where I won it for just over guide. SOmetimes things work out for the best!

Often times I end up contacting people after they post a book I want on the boards. Even if it doesn't lead to a sale, it at least gives me something to "hope" for until usually hearing the inevitable "No".

It can be quite frustrating if you get your hopes up (as I tend to do), so I am not sure if your patience is such a bad thing Blind Owl.

Interesting advice from one of the boardies who is holding some "key" books that I am after

hm Then I would definitely suggest a larger list and a longer time frame. I know of some sales of the books on your list over the last 5 years so they will come up.

lol

Interesting advice from one of the boardies who is holding some "key" books that I am after

:foryou:

:devil: More than you know.

I havew missed out on some books I really wanted because someone else wanted them more. For example a few years back Batman 68 8.0 was auction on CLINK. I lost out even though I bid triple guide. Six months later it was in another CLINK auction where I won it for just over guide. SOmetimes things work out for the best!

Glad to hear that things can work out a time or two batman_fan. :acclaim:

:gossip: Didn't knowing that you lost out originally just erk you until you had your good fortune though?

I bid on a key book with white pages a few days ago on ebay. I was the high bidder but, it didn't make reserve. I contacted the seller letting him know what my bid was and asked his reserve price. He wants plenty but, he will sell it to me if/when I'm ready.

I bid on a key book with white pages a few days ago on ebay. I was the high bidder but, it didn't make reserve. I contacted the seller letting him know what my bid was and asked his reserve price. He wants plenty but, he will sell it to me if/when I'm ready.

I have also done this with success. However, I have also tried in the past to contact ebay members after an auction has ended, only to have the book be sold during negotiations. So if it is a book I want, I try to go after it, as opposed to risking that it will no longer be available.

I have sent some Pm's to people asking if they still have a book and if they ever sell let me know. I have sent messages on the registry also. Hopefully it works :wishluck:

I wish you luck as well! Hopefully you at least get a reply :wishluck: