• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Walking Dead #50 and #51 - COVER ART!

105 posts in this topic

The variant to #50 is a joke. There won't be one in my collection. The others rock!

I agree. That variant cover is bad and I'm kind of saddened to see this series resort to that sort of thing. I'm a completionist though, so I'm sure I'll eventually own a copy.

It probably wouldn't bother me if the variant cover was cool and fit the feel of the book. hm

The variant to #50 is a joke. There won't be one in my collection. The others rock!

I agree. That variant cover is bad and I'm kind of saddened to see this series resort to that sort of thing. I'm a completionist though, so I'm sure I'll eventually own a copy.

I think it is meant to be a joke......hack, it even has a lightsaber! Hopefully it is a REALLY limited cover and not a 50/50 split with the regular (much cooler) Carl cover. :wishluck:

I am ready to Rick to attach a chainsaw to his arm that is missing the hand.

In an interview, Kirkman specifically said he would NEVER do that.....He gets asked about it all the time apparently.

I think it is meant to be a joke......hack, it even has a lightsaber! Hopefully it is a REALLY limited cover and not a 50/50 split with the regular (much cooler) Carl cover. :wishluck:

A joke... or Carl's wish/dream...

Cool, now after selling my raw 9.8ish copy of WD a a couple of months after it came out.. I can finally get a #1 :insane::banana:

(thumbs u

You probably only got $10-$20 for it back then, right? :eek:

Cover price :(

Cool, now after selling my raw 9.8ish copy of WD a a couple of months after it came out.. I can finally get a #1 :insane::banana:

(thumbs u

You probably only got $10-$20 for it back then, right? :eek:

Cover price :(
lol
Thats not funny (tsk)

Wait...is that a TWO HANDED RICK on the variant cover?

That cover is actually going to be on the new printing (special edition) of the Walking Dead #1, which is supposedly going to be released around the same time as issue #50 (thumbs u

And the Erik Larsen/Ryan Ottley Variant cover to issue #50???? Interesting.... hm

walkingdead_50b.jpg

What the #@%& is that silliness about? rantrant

To be honest, the craziness of this cover is starting to grow on me. If you take it for what it is (pure fun), I like it. The superhero versions of Rick, Michonne, Tyrese, and the Guv are certainly silly, but I'm starting to really like it.

Regarding this very odd cover, Ryan Ottley (Wya) posted this recently on a message board:

So Robert Kirkman called me up one day and asked if I wanted to do a crazy variant cover for the Walking dead issue 50 that shows all the Walking dead characters as super-heroes. Ya know because tons of Marvel books were doing variant zombie covers for super-heroes for no reason, so Robert thought he’d do a variant super-hero cover for his zombie book. I liked the idea but I told him no, it’s just too much work for a jokey type cover and I just don’t have the time to design characters and do a gatefold cover. So he then asked me if I’d ink it if he got Erik Larsen to draw it. I said HELL YES! He calls up Erik Larsen and asks him, Erik says it’s just too much work for a jokey type of cover. heh. So Robert offered to design the characters and do a layout. And we went to work on it. I was pretty exited about all this. I love Larsen’s layout’s and energetic big fisted action. I geeked out on this big time and had a lot of fun inking it. Hope ya like.

WalkingDead50pencilink.jpg

:news:

And for those of you who REALLY don't like the superhero variant of issue #50, you won't really see many of them around, that's for sure:

Robert Kirkman just posted this:

That's the ultra-rare "Super-Hero Variant" and it will only be on 1 out of every 100 copies printed.

So... happy hunting!

-Robert