• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

would you still collect comics if......

56 posts in this topic

I think I would sell most of my junkers but I'd keep all the ones that really mattered to me but yeah I'd get rid of most if I could get 3 x + the regular cost for them :D :D daddy wants a new car & house baby yeah :P

i'd still collect since i love reading comic books and i love the art, but part of the fun for me is the challenge, and high prices make some books hard to get, which is part of the fun, figuring how i'm ever going to get a 'tec 27 when i live a middle class lifestyle is part of what makes comic collecting fun.

Interesting question. There are tons and tons of moderns floating around that no one will touch with a ten foot pole. And you can't say there are no nice artwork covers or stories to be found. I'm fond of many painted si fi and horror covers (eclipse publishers for instance) that I've seen boatloads of in dollar bins at cons.

Another way to look at it is, if they reprinted all of the golden age comics with only one slight variation (say a price box difference, like star wars 1), would demand for originals still be the same? This is not an unlikely scenario (at least for the digital medium), as more and more digitally scanned copies are proliferating on the internet and elsewhere. The desire to see what's under the cover may abate under such circumstances. My love for comics is partially based on the cover artwork, but also the need to see the story that's advertised.

A large part of the desire to collect stems from being able to have pleasurable experiences (can you say pavlov/adler association) that we associate with better times, or experiences that we couldn't afford as kids. In many ways, having an exact replica takes care of the story portion of that experience IMO.

I for one have to say, reading the conan reprints via darkhorse, has satiated most of my desire/appetite to own most of the post 24 conans.

I think that would be the cool and I would collect more than ever.

It may sound corny but I truly love everything about comics from

the art, stories, the letter's page and the Ads. :cloud9:

I actually tried that once smuggling a comic across the Canadian

border because a Seller wouldn't ship to Canada and the Customs

officials weren't buying my story about the comic's value is stated

right there on the cover. :gossip:

to bad they didn't have a few thousand GA books lying around

You can actually fit a couple of hundred high grade SA and BA books in a small carry-on suitcase with protective padding on an airplane and bring them back without declaring them..........or so I am told! :devil:

i wonder sometimes if all value other then cover price we’re somehow stripped from vintage comics if i would still collect.

i know a lot of people will say that they love comics and it’s the nostalgia etc. etc. which is my first thought as well.

but still it makes me think hm

I have hundreds of books (not talking comics but real books) and most were $5 to $15 bucks. If all GA/SA/BA comics were that price then yes I'd have thousands of them because I like to read comics just like I enjoy reading books.

I would collect without a doubt -- and with all the "rose coloured glasses" excitement with which an adult recalls his youth. Comics are true artifacts to me: the stories; the art; letter pages; and company and retail ads.

Of course, to have little monetary value, this appeal would have to be invisible to others. Not very likely.

Nostalgia would still hold sway over me and I haven't sold any books in over 20 years since college. What I might do though is display them more without fear of damaging them Probably share them also.