• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Major Comics Theft Foiled at MHC

26 posts in this topic

From Chuck's newsletter today (only Chuck can turn attempted theft into a marketing gimmick):

Major Comics Theft Foiled at Mile High Comics!

Howdy!

Every once in a while, someone tries to steal comics from us. After 38 years in the business, however, we've become pretty cautious, so we typically stop the thief long before they actually get our books. That is exactly what happened this week, when someone stole the credit card information of one of our customers, and tried to use it to order nearly $7, 000.00 in the prime Silver Age Marvel comics. Now before you think otherwise, this credit card information was not obtained from us. Our security servers have excellent firewalls, so we are able to allow you to shop on our website in complete safety. If someone where you live can get ahold of your card numbers (including the security code on the back...), however, and they know that you shop with ANY given online company, they can use your existing company profile to steal via your credit card. Identity theft has become a huge problem in this age of electronic marketing, so I urge all of you to be especially careful when you physically give out your credit card to anyone where you shop in person. In many regards, shopping online is actually far safer these days than physically handing someone your card to take into the back room of a restaurant...

Aside from letting you know that we successfully stopped this attempted theft (we have contacted both the local police in the thief's town, and the US mail inspectors, since interstate mail fraud actually IS a federal offense...), I did also want to highlight the fact that those $7, 000.00 in prime Silver Age Marvels (including X-Men #94-#100 in NM and a slew of VF and NM Avengers, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Hulk, and Spider-Man issues) are now back up for grabs. Those very high grade Silver Age books typically sell in the first day we post them to the website, so this gives you a second chance at some very hard to find key issues from the 1960's. Today's $50+ list also includes over a dozen new pre-1955 DC Comics and nearly 100 other great books. Please do bear in mind, however, that to see the true magnitude of the thousands of books that we've added into our system this week from my buying efforts, you really do need to check out our complete New-In-Stock listings. Because so many of our prices on key issues fall below $50, this one list only highlights the best of the best. That is not to say, however, that I've ONLY been buying key books on this trip. My goal is to help everyone on this newsletter list fill in the holes in their collection, so I have gone out of my way to search out missing issues, even if they sell for under $3. Check out our New-In-Stock for this past week, and I will absolutely guarantee you that you will see some wonderful comics that you would really like to own!

Happy Collecting!

Chuck Rozanski,

President - Mile High Comics, Inc.

3500? 7 grand gets you three or four VG Marvels at Mile Higfh!!

only Chuck would sell a dopey story about some would be identity thief and try to spin it to sell the exact same comics to the rest of us!! Like wow! Whew! sure glad we didnt miss out on overpaying for those gems!!

only Chuck would sell a dopey story about some would be identity thief and try to spin it to sell the exact same comics to the rest of us!! Like wow! Whew! sure glad we didnt miss out on overpaying for those gems!!

You have to admire Chucks marketing savvy.

His store could be burned to the ground, and he'd still find a way to 'discount sale' the ashes

when someone stole the credit card information of one of our customers, and tried to use it to order nearly $7, 000.00 in the prime Silver Age Marvel comics

Must have tried to buy a 1.0 Hulk 1 and a 1.5 ASM 1 at the same time to get to $7000 on his site.

:eek:

I can't believe what I just read. The books he listed that were allegedly part of the attempted theft are hardly what I would call "prime" Silver Age Marvels. The X-men issues listed aren't even Silver Age books, they are Bronze issues.

Lame, lame, lame.

I did also want to highlight the fact that those $7, 000.00 in prime Silver Age Marvels (including X-Men #94-#100 in NM and a slew of VF and NM Avengers, Captain America........ (edit)

X-Men #94-#100 are not SILVER age :gossip:

I did also want to highlight the fact that those $7, 000.00 in prime Silver Age Marvels (including X-Men #94-#100 in NM and a slew of VF and NM Avengers, Captain America........ (edit)

Beet you to it :makepoint:

You have to admire Chucks marketing savvy.

His store could be burned to the ground, and he'd still find a way to 'discount sale' the ashes

:signfunny: on top of :signfunny:

Beet you to it :makepoint:

:P

The thief may have stolen $7,000 worth of merchandise, but seeing how Mile High grades I am sure it was only worth about $3,500.

Next weeks discount code word will be STOPINTHENAMEOFTHELAW.

meh

I wonder if it was a Old Man who's been collecting books for years that tried to steal from Chuck.....

Big deal,

As long as your not a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person a heavy sale is always looked at with question.

I had a customer not to long ago on his first visit to our site plunk down a $10k order.

It didn't seem right to me so I contacted the card holder and he knew exactly who in his neighborhood did it. Cops got called etc...

I didn't write a freaking newsletter about it. Geez... talk about tooting your own horn.

The credit card owner already shops at MHC, so he doesn't know half of how much he's getting ripped off.

lol

I keep getting emails from Mile High comics that appear in my junk folder. Some day I will get around to informing them I no longer want to receive their emails.

Geez, if you are going to commit that big of a crime, why not just tool on over to MHC warehouse with some buds and a little arsenal, tie up the geeky staff and take whatever they wanted live and in person...if someone was so inclined to steal so much.