• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

Got my latest commission from Frank McLaughlin framed. This is an alternate cover to JLA 147, the details of which can be found in my CAF here or elsewhere in this forum: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=918904&GSub=122143

And here is the picture. It hangs right beside my Avengers DPS and the Avengers piece is dwarfed - two 11x17" boards is dwarfed by just one board - thanks to Mr. McLaughlin.

JLA-147-Alternate-Cover-Framed-Reference-800.jpg

I recently got my coup de gras, the cover artwork to Madman Adventures #1 by Mike Allred, re-matted. I had originally gone to Hobby Lobby, and picked out what I thought was the best mat available given their options. After bringing it home I immediately noticed the contrast between the original gleaming white mat and the cream color of the aged artwork. I let this bug me for a few years before deciding it was worth the extra $$$ to get it done properly. This time I went to Michaels and am much, much happier with the result. Presentation is everything.

Side by side comparison of original mat vs. new mat

Madman%2520Adventures%25201%2520Cover.jpgMadman%2520Framed.JPG

Here's a bigger view of the final result

Madman%2520Framed.JPGMadman%2520Adventures%25201%2520Cover%2520%25282%2529.jpg

I have to give kudos to everyone who has posted pics in this thread, which has really inspired me more than anything else to experiment with mats and frames. There are some really great looking pieces presented incredibly well in this thread.

Edited by Saint Doyle

Same here...looking at getting most my art framed but after seeing the price of getting museum glass (ouch) big price jump....

Do you guys place your art in a mylar type sleeve before its placed in the frame?

Do you guys place your art in a mylar type sleeve before its placed in the frame?

I've never heard of putting your art in a mylar inside the frame... I would think that might negate the effects of buying the super-clear museum glass.

I get my art framed at Michael's. They offer a "preservation package" for about $25 where they mount the artwork to the interior of the mat by special holders that stick to the mat, not your artwork. It's hard to explain without a picture (which I can't seem to find an example of online), but it's supposed to be much better for the art than using tape. They also seal up the back of the frame with paper.

Hobby Lobby doesn't offer any of these services that I'm aware of. On top of that, you have to specify that you want acid-free mats and backers with them. Then you have to special order it (because they don't keep the "fancy" stuff that should be standard stuff in stock) and wait for 2-3 weeks.

It must depend on the Hobby Lobby. My local one usually stocks good mats and has all the acid free boards in stock. Also, their default is conservation clear glass. Also, they will frame the item while I watch and wait. The lady I use there always puts paper on the back. Takes some time as they field questions and calls, but I feel safer that way. And, my Hobby Lobby is about half the price of Michaels which is important as I frame alot.

The differences between Michael's and Hobby Lobby may be a completely localized thing. I have found prices pretty comparable between the two, as long as you hit a 1/2 price sale (which they both have every other week). My local Hobby Lobby was employed by a continual string of and half-wits, so I was relieved to find competent people, equivalent prices and overall superior service at the Michael's across town. It sealed the deal when I learned about the strong ties between Hobby Lobby and a certain political party which I am not in favor of.

Same here...looking at getting most my art framed but after seeing the price of getting museum glass (ouch) big price jump....

I have only used the mylar sleeve to transport the art from the convention to home to where I take it to get it framed; which the last two times has been to Michael's.

I use to use Garden Ridge; until they stopped doing custom framing; and have since used Michael's. They have provided me with good customer service and pricing even using the museum glass.

Psy

How do you preserve the integrity of your OA...I just keep mine in a artist folder type thing...but I have a mix of OA and size...some done in pencil others in paint. I would love to preserve it until I raise some funds to properly get them framed. And Ideas or suggestions...

How do you preserve the integrity of your OA...I just keep mine in a artist folder type thing...but I have a mix of OA and size...some done in pencil others in paint. I would love to preserve it until I raise some funds to properly get them framed. And Ideas or suggestions...

Quite honestly I don't buy unless I can have the piece framed immediately. Leaving it out in the cold just doesn't work for me. This is my opinion.

Dan

I just got a painting (only thing in my CAF gallery). It's very black and has a lot of texture (painted over pumice), especially on the edges. I wan't going to frame it but I can already tell that the highly textured surface will attract dust, so I now think I need to put it under glass. I'm a novice at this...any suggestions? WHat kind of frame for a painting with so much black? Thanks in advance!

I just got a painting (only thing in my CAF gallery). It's very black and has a lot of texture (painted over pumice), especially on the edges. I wan't going to frame it but I can already tell that the highly textured surface will attract dust, so I now think I need to put it under glass. I'm a novice at this...any suggestions? WHat kind of frame for a painting with so much black? Thanks in advance!

Did you buy directly from James? If I were you I'd ask the artist how best to frame it.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of putting oils under glass.

Yeah, I don't like putting oils under glass either...I guess I could use one of those air guns and clean it every week. I'm not sure it really shows in the scan, but there is a lot of texture except for the woman's face and book.

I didn't buy directly from him but he referred me to the gallery...I guess I can shoot him an email and see what he thinks about displaying it.

thanks for your help!

finally took the wrapping off some of my framed art, still dont have anywhere to hang it yet, maybe in a year or so

cf1ee5d4.jpg

That Dredd cover is awesome. I love the hammer & sickle. It really ties it in to the time period. :applause: