• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Grading" By Chuck

82 posts in this topic

I have a stack of NM/M comics from Mile High that if they are even VF, I will eat every one of them, staples and all. :P

I presume you bought them BEFORE you joined the boards? :P

I think they were purchased in the late 80s or early 90s. hm

My final topic for today is the subject of grading. It may not have occurred to you, but when I make a public appearance at a convention almost every weekend, I make myself a really big target for potential criticism. We ship tens of thousands of orders every year, and it is almost inevitable that not every order will go smoothly. That having been said, our goal (which I personally have set) is to provide the very best grading and customer service in the entire comics industry. We seek first to absolutely minimize grading errors by grading all comics with very expensive high intensity full spectrum lamps that we especially import from Canada for this one critical purpose, and then if we do make an error, we fix it immediately at OUR cost. After all, with the price difference between grades being nearly double in many instances, the poor grading that I see manifested by more than a few on-line comics dealers that I know can result in your being substantially misled as to the actual cost of the comics that you are purchasing. Simply put, I promise you that will never happen at Mile High Comics. Even though I have to reject over half of the comics that I'm offered by other dealers at conventions due to misgrading, I will never lower our standards. While it may take me longer to find books that I can purchase from other dealers due to our meticulous grading standards, that extra effort really pays off for me when I hear repeatedly from our clients about how pleased they are with our grading. I've personally heard not one single murmur of discontent about our grading during the entire past year, which considering how many public appearances I've made during that time, is really rather incredible!

Astounding hubris. I just can't believe he wrote that and meant it. Positively Orwellian...

I'd love to hear who these on-line sellers are that he refers to...

Jim

Probably cgc*comics, or whatever his name is. That guy has been building an empire out of overcharging for extremely overgraded books. Chuck can spot these guys a mile away, and is doing his part to rid the hobby of these vermin. :baiting:

Probably cgc*comics, or whatever his name is. That guy has been building an empire out of overcharging for extremely overgraded books. Chuck can spot these guys a mile away, and is doing his part to rid the hobby of these vermin. :baiting:

eBay isn't the first thing I think of when a person refers to an on-line dealer... (shrug)

Jim

My final topic for today is the subject of grading. It may not have occurred to you, but when I make a public appearance at a convention almost every weekend, I make myself a really big target for potential criticism. We ship tens of thousands of orders every year, and it is almost inevitable that not every order will go smoothly. That having been said, our goal (which I personally have set) is to provide the very best grading and customer service in the entire comics industry. We seek first to absolutely minimize grading errors by grading all comics with very expensive high intensity full spectrum lamps that we especially import from Canada for this one critical purpose, and then if we do make an error, we fix it immediately at OUR cost. After all, with the price difference between grades being nearly double in many instances, the poor grading that I see manifested by more than a few on-line comics dealers that I know can result in your being substantially misled as to the actual cost of the comics that you are purchasing. Simply put, I promise you that will never happen at Mile High Comics. Even though I have to reject over half of the comics that I'm offered by other dealers at conventions due to misgrading, I will never lower our standards. While it may take me longer to find books that I can purchase from other dealers due to our meticulous grading standards, that extra effort really pays off for me when I hear repeatedly from our clients about how pleased they are with our grading. I've personally heard not one single murmur of discontent about our grading during the entire past year, which considering how many public appearances I've made during that time, is really rather incredible!

Astounding hubris. I just can't believe he wrote that and meant it. Positively Orwellian...

I'd love to hear who these on-line dealers are that he refers to...

Jim

Perhaps these shysters

I'd love to hear who these on-line dealers are that he refers to...

Jim

Perhaps these shysters

Another free ad and link to Chuckie's Books.

I'm beginning to think he is a Marketing Genius hm

bought a "NM" Magnus #64 from them with a 4" razor blade slice on the front cover...

Their customer service, however... I have had a few dealings with them, and I did always think that they did the best they could...

- received the wrong Magic card (I know, I know!): they allowed me to return it at their cost, and they sent me the correct card

- received someone else's comics and someone else got mine: they sent us each pre-paid Priority boxes to send the comics to the other person. Worked great.

and they offered to take back the Magnus #64 (with them paying shipping) and give me my money back. What I really wanted was a Mags #64 tho, and they didn't have it...

still... they did what they could.

However, I definitely won't ever try to order in grade books from them again. (also had a bad experience with "VF" Iron Man #'s 1 & 2)

"Orwellian" isn't even scratching the surface on this one. It's such a disassociation from reality, that I almost have to believe Chuck did not actually write this.

"Orwellian" isn't even scratching the surface on this one. It's such a disassociation from reality, that I almost have to believe Chuck did not actually write this.

The most hilarious part of this piece, to me is this:

"I have to reject over half of the comics that I'm offered by other dealers at conventions."

Anyone who has seen Chuck at a con digging through back issues like a rabid marmoset knows what a load this is. lol

His lamps didn't help with with a bronze book I bought from him that had a large portion of the interior cut-out.

I found that if I ordered a stack of comics from Mile High, the odds were pretty good that at least one of them would be missing a centerfold. One of them even had the last four pages torn out. Some dealers seem to think that only looking at the front cover constitutes grading. I know they have a million books or whatever to grade and catalog, and checking them cover to cover is tedious, but I expect that of them if I'm not able to inspect the comic in person. On the plus side though, they were very friendly and gracious about returns and refunds, and they shipped quickly.

Anyone who has seen Chuck at a con digging through back issues like a rabid marmoset knows what a load this is. lol

lol Marmoset, that's a new one for me, now I will use that word whenever I can!

marmoset.jpg

very expensive high intensity full spectrum lamps that we especially import from Canada

My sides hurt from laughing so hard. Seriously. :roflmao:

Whats so funny?... I have 2 Full Spectrum Lights in my studio too.

But I just call them windows.

(: