• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pirate Art Day

21 posts in this topic

On the heels of getting a "personal" grail in the Empire #1 Cover by Barry Kitson, this beauty has now been purchased and will shortly be enroute to casa de pirate. Thanks to CAF member Chris McCall for personal grail part deux.

Empire #3 cover by Barry Kitson

empire3.jpg

Arrrrggghhhh! Why did you label today Pirate Art Day if you didn't want any posted?

:o

I'll make it as simple as possible to avoid any future confusion on your part. I go by Pirate on these boards and was showing a cover I bought. The thread wasn't Show us your Pirate art.

I don't know anything about the Empire comic. What's it about? How long did it last? And, what do you have / need so far ? I've been gathering all the covers from a comic I love and have 7 out of 30 covers. It's fun and a lifelong hunt. Good luck!

Empire was a mini series that first came out as 2 issues under the now defunct Gorilla imprint. DC picked it up and did a 7 issue mini #0 (reprinted the 2 gorilla issues) -#6. Book was done by Waid and Kitson of JLA and Legion of Super-Heroes fame.

Out of the 7 DC covers, I have #1 and #3. Barry has #0 and I believe his father has at least one maybe two of them but not sure of which numbers. I haven't seen any of the others on CAF but they are somewhere.

One of my favorite mini series by far and the trade is available. Here is a mini write up:

EMPIRE, the result of the creative fusion of critically acclaimed creators Mark Waid (KINGDOM COME, SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT, Fantastic Four) and artists Barry Kitson (JLA: YEAR ONE, Avengers/Thunderbolts) & James Pascoe (BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS), is an atypical comic-book tale... one told from the perspective of a villain rather than a hero. This volume collects the sold-out 6-issue miniseries along with a 5-page preview that has never been reprinted!

EMPIRE mixes political intrigue with all-out action, as seen through the cold eyes of the ruthless dictator Golgoth. This collection also features a new cover and sketchbook section by Kitson and an introduction by Waid!

On the heels of getting a "personal" grail in the Empire #1 Cover by Barry Kitson, this beauty has now been purchased and will shortly be enroute to casa de pirate. Thanks to CAF member Chris McCall for personal grail part deux.

Empire #3 cover by Barry Kitson

empire3.jpg

Very nice.

Uhm . . . how many gold doubloons did that cost? :grin:

Pirate:

Jesusjon is correct. It's an actual "Pirate Art" thread we need!

So post your pirate art pictures here.

The Book Palace has a selection of Ron Embleton painted originals for sale from the 1960s (UK) publication, THE LOOK & LEARN BOOK OF PIRATES. All reasonable priced.

fmlyev.jpg

Pirate:

Jesusjon is correct. It's an actual "Pirate Art" thread we need!

So post your pirate art pictures here.

I have a couple of CAPTAIN PUGWASH strips, e.g. . . .

2du9rti.jpg

This was a UK strip that appeared as a part-animated cartoon series during the 1960s on British television.

Legend had it that two of its characters were called Seaman Staines and Master Bates (geddit?).

This has been strenously denied by the strip's creator, John Ryan . . .