• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To mylar or not to mylar...

111 posts in this topic

Right now, I've got my GA and better SA and BA in mylars. I hate having to worry about slicing the cover in half when I put the books in or crimping a 9.4 into a 9.2 when I pull the books out. So I'm going to full backs and mylites for the GA. The question is, for those of you who use full backs/mylites, do you also put the books in mylar? Thoughts? Recommendations?

I use the Mylites2/Fullback setup. I, too, am concerned about the sharp, rigid edge of a mylar slicing into a book.

In most cases, the Mylite2/Fullback is enough for me. With higher end books, I supplement with a mylar as well to protect against cover dents and drop damage.

I should note that I feel very comfortable with the double bag (please no jokes here). I had a doubled book fall off a display at about 5 feet up to a concrete floor. There was a long crease in the mylar but no damage to the book.

I used to use the 4mm mylar Archives from eGerber, but got to be too expensive plus the top of the book is still "Exposed". I've since switched to eGerber mylite2s (Silver/Gold) along with fullbacks (always used them) and they fit every book I collect.

After everyone raving about the mylite2s, I gave em a try and I haven't looked back.

Sterling,

We do carry the mylite4 which is basically an Archive with a foldable flap.

I hear you on the pricing though.

Foldable flaps on 4mm mylars are bad. bad, bad, bad. I tried some years ago from Mr. Archive (Bill Cole)...didn't like em.

Put two halfbacks 3/4s of the way into the mylar. Slide the book in between the two boards,and remove the front board .Do the same thing when removing the book. No reason why the board should come near the sharp edges.

Sterling,

We do carry the mylite4 which is basically an Archive with a foldable flap.

I hear you on the pricing though.

Foldable flaps on 4mm mylars are bad. bad, bad, bad. I tried some years ago from Mr. Archive (Bill Cole)...didn't like em.

Put me in the bad, bad, bad camp on the mylite4 as well... 2c

Hey Russ, when folded how flat do they lie?.. the 4 mill w/flap just sounds bulky.

Also, I got my order a few days ago, thanks for the prompt shipping.

Kenny

No problem Kenny.

If you have something to score them, like a tool/thumbnail they lay pretty flat. They bubble up a little bit but no more than a m2. I like them with the fullbacks as the extra board tends to make it lay a bit flatter.

I think in a box you wouldn't have an issue. Laying them flat on a table I think you might, but then again you would have one with mylite2's as well.

Put two halfbacks 3/4s of the way into the mylar. Slide the book in between the two boards,and remove the front board .Do the same thing when removing the book. No reason why the board should come near the sharp edges.

Too much hassle. I'm not that organized.

Right now it looks like its about 50/50 mylar/no mylar. I suspect I'll keep what mylar I have for the big/nice books, but phase out eventually.

Who knows. I may change my mind next week about the whole thing.

I put all of my books in the center of the Sunday edition of the New York Times. Sure, I can only fit eight books to a longbox, but that bidness is airtight