• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion on the Iron Man/Subby #1 book?

286 posts in this topic

Common is NOT the right word. Perhaps "the most available Silver Age Marvel there is" might work. They are everywhere! All Silver Age collections have about 3 of them.

Marvel wanted Captain America and Hulk to have there own comic title. Tales of Suspense #99 became Cap #100(4/68) and Tales to Astonish # 101 became Hulk #102(4/68). The Iron Man story in #99 and Subby story in #101 were decided to be continued in one comic. Thats why the Iron Man/Subby #1(4/68). Iron Man and Subby were decided for thier own titles also but were not quite ready. Iron Man #1 and Subby #1 came out the following month (5/68). It may have been made to HYPE the two titles. Kind of a intro to thier own comic.

I thought Marvel made a mistake cancelling Tales Of & Tales To. To me they were what Marvel was known for. I hated seeing those end.

I still find it interesting this book carries relatively little value when compared to the first issues of their own series. I see that a lot of people who are fans of the series only collect the series and thus this one-shot is more of a "you like it, you buy it" but I'd have thought the significance would have a little more to do with it. Obviously, the abundance of this issue plays a role, too..but as of right now it's pretty much a slow book.

Brian

Obviously, the abundance of this issue plays a role

Like Donut said, this issue is common and can commonly be found in nice condition to boot. I think this a case of everyone who wants a copy has a copy.

wink.gif

Jim

I thought Marvel made a mistake cancelling Tales Of & Tales To. To me they were what Marvel was known for. I hated seeing those end.

Because of distribution issues (I believe Marvel used the DC Comics-owned distributor back in the 1960s), Marvel was only able to publish a certain number of titles per month (13, I think). As such, they had the "Tales of" type books that featured 2 different characters, so they stayed under the 13 title limit.

At some point they either changed distributors or got better terms, so they did away with the "Tales" books and gave everyone their own title (Cap, Hulk, Iron Man, Dr. Strange, etc.)

Gene

nope all from my own collection. they make for a nice set. i was thinking of adding the Captain Marvel #1 cgc 9.4 wp, Nick Fury #1 cgc 9.6 wp and HULK 102 cgc 9.4 wp to it, but that might be a little much. wink.gif

There are certainly a lot of nice high grade IMSM1's around. Probably too much on the supply side and a relatively static demand side. Almost all of the 1968 Marvel #1's are in good supply in high grade, but for some reason IMSM and SM1 are the least valued. Maybe nobody likes a waterlogged superhero.

No offense Brian, but you pretty much missed the boat on the Power Pack #27 (remember that worthless book). It made it over $57- without reaching my reserve natch. So let's see how this one does. I know it's no ASM, but I'll bet it tops $300 EASY! cool.gif

Don't get me wrong; I appreciate any input from my fellow forumites. But that doesn't mean I agree with it. And Bonds25 is right: there was a sale for 400-500 a little while ago. All the better! Thanx for the verification, Matt!

Rick