• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion on the Iron Man/Subby #1 book?

286 posts in this topic

Wow! Now I gotta hoarde those!

Good job! acclaim.gif

CAL

"Hoard" these!?!? 27_laughing.gif

Good luck on that front...however, if you're serious I do have one of the 9.4's on the census. 893whatthe.gif

I can't check it today but I have a vast FF collection of "raw" books - but they are almost Issues 1 - 100 only. I might have a few of the 112 with Hulk vs. Thing, but I don't recall the FF 110. I might have to take a look at your NM 9.4. I can't promise anything and I don't dangle carrots in front of people, but I might take a hard look at it.

CAL juggle.gif

I PROMISE to get back on this topic within a few days - I KNOW I have some VF+ - NM- FF's and Spideys in storage - I just got to get them out.

CAL hi.gif

Hi Cal,

I have to agree with those that feel this is simply a case of running low on one of the four colors used to print the books. What I did was take your purpler version and place clippings of sections of it right on top of one of your other scans. You will see that the color shift does indeed take place throughout the whole cover, although it isn't as obvious until you hold them side by side.

CMYK go into the printing process......Cerulean (blue), Magenta (red) , Yellow and Black (k).

So I would say your bluer version really just had less yellow in it. See how orangey the reds are in the clipped sections? Hope this helps.

Red

calsvariant.jpg

BTW, I hear you are pushing for an Iron-Man & Submariner Registry Set.

Of course, it would only have one book. But at least you could post the most sets!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

CGC-Iron-Man-Subby-9.6.jpg

CGC-Iron-Man-Subby-9.6.label.jpg

That is definitly a better copy than my raw, but my cover is positioned exactly as yours is and I always considered mine to be mis-wrapped. Note how the "M" in Marvel curves around the spine. Maybe if this isn't a miss-wrap I can boost mine up to a 9.0 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No - there is no damage to the holder of this great comic book.

CAL hi.gif

He means is the bend in the overflash on the top of the cover near the upper right corner damage that occurred from the book banging into the inner well.

No - there is no damage to the holder of this great comic book.

CAL hi.gif

He means is the bend in the overflash on the top of the cover near the upper right corner damage that occurred from the book banging into the inner well.

27_laughing.gif But that was the funniest misinterpretation I've seen on this board in a long, long time!

But that was the funniest misinterpretation I've seen on this board in a long, long time!

Don't insult my pet! He gets angry quickly! Now I got to put him in a safe place - he is scanner-impaired!

CAL 893naughty-thumb.gif

You are right, redhook. My "pet" is bashful, does not like to be held too often, and is extremely loyal to the Owner!!! Funny thing is, he never argues with me, never asks me for money, never takes advantage of me!!! What a pet!!!

CAL 27_laughing.gif

I guess I never read this thread when the whole variant discussion was going on...but if it hasnt been settle finally let me add my 2 cents. Basically, it appears to be variations during the press run of the strengths of the cyan/blue and red/magenta plates. The puples range fron an equal mix of the two inks; and a bluer version (less magents) and a redder look (less blue) Th erest of the cover does not show the effects of the color variance because there are no other areas (by chance) that use both inks together!! So as the red and blue fade, it's not noticeable as a color shift.

A true variant like the FF has different color stripping yielding totally different colors on different covers.

Now, wthtout further ado, lets all get back to that deliciously high grade 9.6 copy of IronMan/Subby#1!!!