• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion on the Iron Man/Subby #1 book?

286 posts in this topic

I really doubt I missed the boat on the Power Pack book. Just b/c the book got some bids, probably b/c of the fact that it's a really high grade and features Wolverine, doesn't mean it's some hot new book. As we have seen with the Ultimate Spider-man line...even issues such as ones that have just come out in the past few months go for 40-50 dollars in 9.8

Brian

The term "hot new book" was never used. Doesn't even apply.

"Over-looked" book makes much more sense.

You said it was worthless. It obviously is not. The reasons are irrelevant.

You missed the boat. ALL ABOARD!!

I'll re-list when the next X-Men movie approaches. By then it should be twice as worthless... smirk.gif

Rick

It's about as worthless as a Ultimate Spider-man #21 9.8 that sold for 50 dollars...take that for what it's worth. People are buying the grade on that book, not the fact that it's some appearance by Sabretooth.

Let me know how much a 9.4 sells for..

Brian

People are buying the grade on that book, not the fact that it's some appearance by Sabretooth.

What makes you say that? I'd bet the Sabretooth appearance drove the price to $57 not the grade. You put any other issue of PP in CGC 9.8 out there on eBay (with the exception of #1) and you'd be lucky to get a bid of $20.

I agree with JLA, this is a missed Sabretooth issue. Not key but definitely not common.

But what do I know......I think IF #14 is seriously overpriced for essentially a second rate X-villain who hasn't been seen current comics for quite awhile.

Jim

Jim,

Thanx for the back up. Murph0 just has a hard time admitting when he's wrong.

Comparing two different books, Brian? C'mon, apples to oranges, dude...

And what's with the 9.4 mention? Do YOU have one? I don't. Of course it would sell for less...it's a lower grade. shocked.gif

You wanna give your opinion on someone else's book, fine. But at least realize you made a mistake, or at the very least under-estimated the book.

Your last post would lead the unknowledged to believe that anything at 9.8 would fetch $50+. You can't be serious?

1) Early (earliest?) appearance of Wolvie vs Sabretooth

2) Only two have been graded

3) 9.8

4) Both on the cover

I can't believe this thread has gone this far. Accept & move on, Brian. smile.gif

Rick

PS: Sorry for screwing up your thread Jordanabigail; t'wasn't my intent.

My last post would someone to believe that anything in 9.8 with an appearance of a known character would fetch 50 dollars. And I used an off-the-presses book like USM 21 to enforce my point. Either way, you can think I am wrong..I can think I'm right..now as far as a 9.4, if you can get 50 dollars for a 9.8, do you truly think a 9.4 is going to go for anything remotely near that? Possibly enough to cover the grading..

Brian

"Think" you're wrong? No, the facts and reality of this particular situation leave no room for doubt. It is no longer a matter of opinion. But keep chiming away; maybe you can explain how $16 (costs) turning into $57 equals worthless...?

And you're the one that brought up 9.4, not me. What do I care what it would go for? Mine's a 9.8. Duh tongue.gif

Whatever, I've said my peace. This bores me now.

Rick

This book didn't even meet reserve..get back to me when you actually sell it. Guess reality must of passed that "fact" right on by. I am really enjoying this conversation..you are getting annoyed b/c I replied with my opinion after you make a post for the only purpose of stirring up something out of me.

Brian

Not annoyed, BORED.

Keep smacking your lips about your opinions against the cold, hard facts.

And about not meeting reserve..so what? Without it, the book would have sold at the top bid (get with the program). tongue.gif

for the only purpose of stirring up something out of me

Yeah, that's my purpose, Bri. You knock one of my books, get egg all over your face when one of your usual "if I don't like it then it's not worthy" comments is exposed, then cry like a baby instead of admitting you were off-base. Typical. That's exactly why I challenged your comment in regards to 'guesstimating' value to another one of my books. I have nothing better to do than make you squirm.

Show some class.

Concentrate more on the Quality of your posts and less on the Quantity.

(what are the odds this'll "stir" him up?)

C'mon, let's enjoy this conversation some more!

Rick

PS: You missed the boat on the PP #27!

Hey Rick,

I picked up a Power Pack #27 last weekend which is definitely a CGC candidate! tongue.gif I was looking for Marvel Team-Ups and that book just happened to be in the wrong section. shocked.gif No Spine stress & sharp corners! wink.gif Off to CGC with my other GI Joes soon tongue.gif

Hey Dogg!

You tryin' to cut in on my act? Don't go there!

(Wow, how lame was that last statement.)

Hope it grades high for ya. I enjoy healthy competition, and I could actually use the additional attention to help hype mine. grin.gif

If you get a 9.9 or higher, I'll take it off your hands for...costs + $1? blush.gif

Rick

One more thing: What are you doing up so late? I just got off from work; what's your excuse?

Never mind, I'm sure greggy, Darth or Supa will answer this before you get a chance to. shocked.gif

Nah, he is currently trying to master Madden 2003 so he is even ignoring Crystin on a regular basis. Hell, she even chats with me on messenger when he is playing! smirk.gif

yeah they actually had a deal worked out with DC for distribution purposes and thats why the limit of titles they were publishing up to that point. Iron Man/Subby 1 is very very common I saw longboxes in NM of that book when the first silver age rush hit in the late 80's early 90's I dont see much of a upside in it

Well, T minus 24 hours to go on my issue:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32735&item=736205648&rd=1

Reserve not met -yet- but it has topped $400. I guess this book's not as slow as some previously thought! blush.gif

Or is it just the "9.6"?

Rick

Keep your fingers crossed; I got more comin' after this! shocked.gif

Well I have some issues of this comic. I know it is undervalued. Some comic folks think that this comic is plentiful in high grade. Maybe they are right. But how about super-high grade, like NM 9.4 and up? I don't think that this issue has very many of those. I am still searching for the MINT 10.0.

A 10.0 probably doesn't exist. But here are current figures form census:

9.9 - 1

9.8 - 1

9.6 - 25

9.4 - 34

I'd say that's a pretty decent amount of HG books. This book is only a minor-key (is it a key at all?). Lots of copies out there to be graded. I'd bet that you could find a 9.4 without too much trouble.

Chris

there appears to be a good number of them , compared to some other Silver Age books, but I have been keeping my eyes open for them, and they don't show up that often. Strange....less common books show up all the time....yet these are scarce on the open market.

"Strange....less common books show up all the time....yet these are scarce on the open market. "

Probalby because there's no heat around the book right now. As far as high grade Silvers go, this book dosen't command that high of a price. Perhaps people would just rather keep them, at least until a possible spike.

And FYI, here's some stats for you:

IRON MAN AND SUB-MARINER #1 CGC 9.8

$1,382.77 JUN-17-02

IRON MAN AND SUB-MARINER #1 CGC 9.6

$414.00 NOV-25-01

IRON MAN and SUB-MARINER #1 CGC 9.4

$290.05 Jan-15-02

IRON MAN AND SUB-MARINER #1 CGC 9.4

$285.00 JAN-27-02