• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Anyone seen King Of Kong yet ?

24 posts in this topic

I heard about this ages ago and then forgot. Thanks for reminding me! I'll have to get hold of it.

Geek pathos, the best kind.

EDIT: Oh and yes, a documentary about the world's two greatest comic collectors and their intense rivalry is a sure fire hit (thumbs u

I saw it and really enjoyed it. Made me want to pick up a cabinet of my own.

There was another vintage arcade documentary I saw last year about someone trying to beat the record score (Space Invaders? Missile Command? The game in question was a little old for my time). It didn't have the good vs. evil storyline that King of Kong did, but it was pretty entertaining nonetheless. Another good behind-the-scenes documentary is "Tilt: The Battle to Save Pinball."

I am having deja vu (shrug) From the preview this appears to have some amazing vintage footage from that golden era early 1980's time. What a glorious time it was :applause:

Not only did Billy have the Donkey Kong record for 2 decades, he is also the greatest Pac Man player ever. I actually remember hearing about him back in the day.

It does not get much better than Donkey Kong. Can not wait to see this movie :popcorn:

I am having deja vu (shrug) From the preview this appears to have some amazing vintage footage from that golden era early 1980's time. What a glorious time it was :applause:

Not only did Billy have the Donkey Kong record for 2 decades, he is also the greatest Pac Man player ever. I actually remember hearing about him back in the day.

It does not get much better than Donkey Kong. Can not wait to see this movie :popcorn:

Yes. Essentially he has held onto that record since the heyday but now a new challenger has emerged determined to beat it.

Scary thing is how much the hardcore retro gamers and their website 'Twin galaxies' reminds me of us collectors and a certain cgc forum ;)

Yes. Essentially he has held onto that record since the heyday but now a new challenger has emerged determined to beat it.

Scary thing is how much the hardcore retro gamers and their website 'Twin galaxies' reminds me of us collectors and a certain cgc forum ;)

lol Nice and good comparison.

The Golden era gamers are no joke. The games today are completely different, but it takes an intense technical skill set to play the amount of time these guys can on a Pac-Man. The average person can not last a couple minutes on Donkey Kong.

I really liked the part when the guy is talking about the elevator board on the 3rd time around in Donkey Kong. That is so true. I think the highest score I ever got on Donkey Kong was just around under 100,000ish. I do remember getting to that third trip elevator screen and it being so ridiculously difficult. Especially with those crazy bouncing missles waiting for you at the top of the screen.

Just finished watching it!

Fun film, loved it. A similar or possibly even greater drama could easily be made out of the high end of our hobby...

Here is a good plot:

A 20 year old is given his first comic, a 9.8 DC 100 pager, by his dead grandfather, he decides to, in honor of his grandpa's death, assemble the top registry set of 100 pagers, but in his way is the current registry set holder, Greggy Greggles.

Another thing about it that rung bells with me was that the challenger's first record breaking high-score was dismissed due almost entirely to his machine's association with a known 'cheater'.

The machine's validity could easily have been verified by a techie, but rumour, hearsay and 'bad association' were far more important to the community. Remind you of anything? hm