• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much is a Walt Disney Donald Duck #25 going for?

15 posts in this topic

Hi All!

I saw this in the Show Me your Ducks thread, and I love the Halloween cover! That was my favorite of the Donald Cartoons as a kid! "Trick Or Treat!"

I was wondering what the value on this comic would be??

Thanks a ton!

Hi TH --

This particular book would create a lot of excitement among collectors. It's difficult to estimate what a high grade copy would bring. I've been looking for a nice copy for many years but it is impossible to find.

Thought you might enjoy the picture below: this is the original, unpublished version of the splash panel.

tt_splash.jpg

I am always looking to buy early inked comic book art by Carl Barks.

PS: For the OA collectors who know me, I'd prefer to be anonymous on the boards. Thanks :)

Superb! Was that one removed by Barks or at the direction of the editor?

Hi All!

I saw this in the Show Me your Ducks thread, and I love the Halloween cover! That was my favorite of the Donald Cartoons as a kid! "Trick Or Treat!"

Thanks a ton!

I guess what tb didn't mention is that you can get a reading copy very reasonably. Under $50. If you want a really high grade copy, be prepared to spend thousands.

Hi All!

Thanks a ton!

I guess what tb didn't mention is that you can get a reading copy very reasonably. Under $50. If you want a really high grade copy, be prepared to spend thousands.

Wait for the VCC (for the high grade one) :shy:

tb would know better than I but I think they just cut up the offending censored panels from the full size pages. Hence the odd size. They would have just kept the bottom half of the page as it was and joined it with a new top half.

Hi All!

Thanks a ton!

Wait for the VCC (for the high grade one) :shy:

Crikies!! :o You weren't kidding WP. Nice copy.

tb would know better than I but I think they just cut up the offending censored panels from the full size pages. Hence the odd size. They would have just kept the bottom half of the page as it was and joined it with a new top half.
Bumping this ancient thread. In doing so, I realize this question was never answered. Going off memory of tb's splash page it was a half page. Barks cut his pages in half for mailing if I remember correctly. Or was it to give to people?

Here is the picture that is missing above.

Sorry that I had to deface to picture with writing; long story but I've had some problems in the past.

Edit: transplant: this is indeed the unpublished, censored version. There are different theories as to why Barks was asked to redraw it. One claims that it was because of the lack of Ducks, another that the drawing was too "un-Disney". Virtually all surviving Barks originals prior to 1960 are censored or otherwise unpublished drawings that were returned to him. Everything else was destroyed.

Edit 2: Changed the picture to a version I've posted before to avoid a discussion I'd rather not get into.

tt.jpg