• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Strike

24 posts in this topic

I've decided that I'm only posting graemlins & perhaps a word or two of text from now on to express my take on thread topics.

To this one I post: :censored: eBay.

And this:

New auction sites? hm

Death to the sentence; long live the fragment with animated cartoon smiley face!!

I just received the new pricing for insertion fees and for final value fees. Final value fee has gone from 5.25% to 8.75% with additional % added for auctions over 25.01. Total , I hope one of those other sites do set up shop and take over. What would be another good site to sell excess comics ?

I just received the new pricing for insertion fees and for final value fees. Final value fee has gone from 5.25% to 8.75% with additional % added for auctions over 25.01. Total , I hope one of those other sites do set up shop and take over. What would be another good site to sell excess comics ?

The sales forums here.

And pretty much nowhere else.

Ebay isn't just the biggest it really is the only viable option.

No other specialty site or up and coming site will get you the same number of possible views as ebay.

Why would google or any other big corporation start an auction business if ebay needs to raise fees substantially despite it's virtual monopoly? The auction business certainly hasn't worked out for amazon or yahoo. The only way I see that google getting involved would be to buy ebay.

Ebay is fully aware that it would take Google or any other pretender at least 5 years to gain any sort of market share and acceptance...such changes would be as slow as when ebay iself started out as they are so entrenched as a brand.

So they can basically do what they want until there is an actual competitive threat in the marketplace, and not a potential one. And at the moment there isn't even that.

I just reading about 3 different blogs, articles and clicked finance to see what was happening with ebay. And im seeing that more people are going to amazon.com (does no good for auctions, just fixed price) and auctions.com gaining popularity. While its not going to change anytime soon, I see why they are making there changes. I wouldnt call it overall greed, yet its overall greed. Ebay stock today is worth 27.91, the high 3 years ago was 40.31 they cant get back to that high, yet they dont realize it.

Ebay is acting like people arent selling, but why sell if people arent buying. Check the recession proof thread. People arent buying things they dont need because they dont have the excess cash that they did a few years ago. I think now that the efforts to make the shareholders happy is going to be far outweighed by the bitterness of sellers who now are going to take another cut into there profits.

I was planning on posting a bunch of auctions on ebay this week, but after the price increase of there "take" from final value fees. I couldnt be bothered. If I sell a comic for 20.00 they get almost 2 dollars of that (about 1.90) . I find this to be unfair. Ill try the sales page here, or just keep em' until they sell at a show.

If I sell a comic for 20.00 they get almost 2 dollars of that (about 1.90) . I find this to be unfair. Ill try the sales page here, or just keep em' until they sell at a show.

It's still about as low a commission/fee as one would find from an auction house or dealer, although I can see it deterring sellers on the cheaper stuff, plus you have to do all the work yourself.

I just reading about 3 different blogs, articles and clicked finance to see what was happening with ebay. And im seeing that more people are going to amazon.com (does no good for auctions, just fixed price) and auctions.com gaining popularity. While its not going to change anytime soon, I see why they are making there changes. I wouldnt call it overall greed, yet its overall greed. Ebay stock today is worth 27.91, the high 3 years ago was 40.31 they cant get back to that high, yet they dont realize it.

Ebay is acting like people arent selling, but why sell if people arent buying. Check the recession proof thread. People arent buying things they dont need because they dont have the excess cash that they did a few years ago. I think now that the efforts to make the shareholders happy is going to be far outweighed by the bitterness of sellers who now are going to take another cut into there profits.

I was planning on posting a bunch of auctions on ebay this week, but after the price increase of there "take" from final value fees. I couldnt be bothered. If I sell a comic for 20.00 they get almost 2 dollars of that (about 1.90) . I find this to be unfair. Ill try the sales page here, or just keep em' until they sell at a show.

Ditto!

If I sell a comic for 20.00 they get almost 2 dollars of that (about 1.90) . I find this to be unfair. Ill try the sales page here, or just keep em' until they sell at a show.

It's still about as low a commission/fee as one would find from an auction house or dealer, although I can see it deterring sellers on the cheaper stuff, plus you have to do all the work yourself.

While that is true, Ebay isnt a true auction house bringing in people with "real" money, nor do they check an item for actual condition. Its basically a buyer beware market. Being as you dont always get what you pay for. At least in a legitimate auction you have the chance of approaching fair market value, as well as cash upfront. On top of the fact someone else does the work for you.

Could you imagine going to a live auction and bidding on a comic in NM as described by the auctioneer, and receiveing a G+. Youd be furious at the auctioneer, not the guy who handed him the comic with limited knowledge. The next hike will 9% and then 10% . Its just out of hand a 3.50% increase in final value fees is ridiculous, and to try and mask it by SLASHED insertion fees. What is it .25 to .15 they are still making an additional .65 on that 20.00 comic. Total garbage.

I should mention that I'm not condoning what ebay are doing at present...basically I was pointing out that they have now reached the threshold of where they become less economical than dealers/auction houses were they to make any further price increases.

I myself have always been aware of this threshold - this could have implications for ebay, but I doubt it.