• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why did DC pick on the overweight?

33 posts in this topic

ll5.jpg

jo49.jpg

adv298.jpg

sb24.jpg

sm221.jpg

Sheesh!

Editor Mort Weisinger, by all reports an nasty SOB who was apparently pretty portly himself.

The fat theme shows up in other DC books (at least one prominent Flash cover), but never as mean-spirited as in Unca Mort's Superman books.

Jack

Yo silver! and Jack.

Here's that Flash! I love this one. Great idea for a thread silver. flash115.jpg

ll5.jpg

jo49.jpg

adv298.jpg

sb24.jpg

sm221.jpg

Sheesh!

Editor Mort Weisinger, by all reports an nasty SOB who was apparently pretty portly himself.

The fat theme shows up in other DC books (at least one prominent Flash cover), but never as mean-spirited as in Unca Mort's Superman books.

Jack

Because secretly DC means Diet Control.

Just look at their propaganda comics....all the buff guys and hottie babes.

They're trying to reinforce the wrong self image on people.

I'm only partially joking and it's not only limited to DC.

:insane:

A guess...

The obesity level in the 50-60's was much much lower than it is today. People ate better (not many fast food joints) and *gasp* went outside.

So I am guessing a fatty like that was a rare thing so it probably offended little to nobody back then.

Because secretly DC means Diet Control.

Just look at their propaganda comics....all the buff guys and hottie babes.

They're trying to reinforce the wrong self image on people.

I'm only partially joking and it's not only limited to DC.

:insane:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

A guess...

The obesity level in the 50-60's was much much lower than it is today. People ate better (not many fast food joints) and *gasp* went outside.

So I am guessing a fatty like that was a rare thing so it probably offended little to nobody back then.

Speaking of that I like the comic book that says Louis Lane is the fattest woman in Metropolis. Today she would not even crack the top 100.

ll5.jpg

jo49.jpg

adv298.jpg

sb24.jpg

sm221.jpg

Sheesh!

Jack

Mort Weisinger

introduced the comicbook world to Jim Shooter. I wonder if there is a connection?

Jack

Mort Weisinger

introduced the comicbook world to Jim Shooter. I wonder if there is a connection?

You're probably joking, but I'd say yes.

Apparently Mort was nothing but an overgrown Mean Little Kid. He got story ideas from children and published comic books for children. Kids (except for the fat ones) think that fat people are funny, because they haven't yet developed empathy.

Shooter's Legion of Super-Hero stories appealed to Mort so much because Shooter was just a child when he started submitting them (reportedly Mort didn't realize that he was only 14). Written for kids from the point of view of a kid -- tales of an exclusive club without adult supervision, rocket-shaped clubhouse, try-outs where prospective members were summarily rejected... no wonder Mort loved them!

Jack

(former fat kid)

Jack

Mort Weisinger

You're probably joking, but I'd say yes.

Apparently Mort was nothing but an overgrown Mean Little Kid. He got story ideas from children and published comic books for children. Kids (except for the fat ones) think that fat people are funny, because they haven't yet developed empathy.

Shooter's Legion of Super-Hero stories appealed to Mort so much because Shooter was just a child when he started submitting them (reportedly Mort didn't realize that he was only 14). Written for kids from the point of view of a kid -- tales of an exclusive club without adult supervision, rocket-shaped clubhouse, try-outs where prospective members were summarily rejected... no wonder Mort loved them!

Jack

(former fat kid)

That is just exactly why the early Legion stories were so much fun. Created by the mind of a child. Even college students read them.:signofftopic::kidaround: