• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comiclink auction questions

22 posts in this topic

1. Can anyone from comiclink comment on how many individuals have placed one or multiple bids in the current auction? I am curious about the popularity of collecting comics. Or does anyone have any data on how many people collect comics in the US/world? Thousands, millions? How many members are there on this bulletin board?

2. Where do the current Gaines File copy offerings of the comiclink auction come from? If this is the first time they are put up for sale, does that mean they come from the Gaines estate? I am hoping to get one...

Thanks.

I don't have any answers to question #1, but the Gaines file copies have been floating around since the mid-1980s. There's multiple copies of each. 12 I think, but others more knowledgeable than me here may be able to provide a more exact number.

I don't have any answers to question #1, but the Gaines file copies have been floating around since the mid-1980s. There's multiple copies of each. 12 I think, but others more knowledgeable than me here may be able to provide a more exact number.

Bill Gaines put aside 12 copies of each book and carefully wrapped them.....many years later Bob O. and a bunch of veteran graders unwrapped them and listed them from 1 to 12. The books are generally stunning. I am fairly sure Gaines was alive. It was like a "time capsule" act by Gaines.

1. Can anyone from comiclink comment on how many individuals have placed one or multiple bids in the current auction? I am curious about the popularity of collecting comics. Or does anyone have any data on how many people collect comics in the US/world? Thousands, millions? How many members are there on this bulletin board?

2. Where do the current Gaines File copy offerings of the comiclink auction come from? If this is the first time they are put up for sale, does that mean they come from the Gaines estate? I am hoping to get one...

Thanks.

If you are asking these questions to help you decide whether to buy a Gaines File Copy, I would suggest you wait. There will only be approx answers that are relevant to your first question and there are definitely multiple copies, as Jbcomicbox points out. In some cases there are fewer than 12 copies, usually 10 or 11 but sometimes as few as 1 or 2.

Thanks.

If you are asking these questions to help you decide whether to buy a Gaines File Copy, I would suggest you wait. There will only be approx answers that are relevant to your first question and there are definitely multiple copies, as Jbcomicbox points out. In some cases there are fewer than 12 copies, usually 10 or 11 but sometimes as few as 1 or 2.

adamstrange, do we know which titles only had 1 or 2...seems those would be the "ones" to attempt to pursue, just on the scarcity factor relative to the issues that 10 or more copies exist?

Thanks.

adamstrange, do we know which titles only had 1 or 2...seems those would be the "ones" to attempt to pursue, just on the scarcity factor relative to the issues that 10 or more copies exist?

One case was where the book was considered the #1 issue of the horror series but I'm not going to trust my memory as to which one it was. They were not books I was interested in so I've purged my memory banks.

Thanks.

One case was where the book was considered the #1 issue of the horror series but I'm not going to trust my memory as to which one it was. They were not books I was interested in so I've purged my memory banks.

I believe there was only one Vault of Horror # 12. Maybe two...

I would love to see the Crimesuspense 22 Ganies copy come up for sale ...

There was a Gaines 9.6 on eBay last year.

crime2296.jpg

Now that is cool. (thumbs u

crime2296.jpg

I don't know anything about the scarcity of '50s EC's...is this Crime SuspenseStories #22 tough find?

VG: yes

NM+: no

Go on to the Heritage archives for the past 6 years or so and you'll see just how scarce most Gaines File books are. :gossip:

I don't know anything about the scarcity of '50s EC's...is this Crime SuspenseStories #22 tough find?

Gimme one of those common NM+ copies and I'll have a scarce VG copy for you in no time flat.

crime2296.jpg

Thanks. I figured, high grade would be tough, and low grade as "common" as most 50s comics...

crime2296.jpg

Thanks. I figured, high grade would be tough, and low grade as "common" as most 50s comics...

My remark was partly in jest but, in fact, there are many more nm and nm+ copies of that book than would normally be available for a 1950s comic.

So who is consigning these copies to comiclink? I have also read that Gaines collected 12 copies of each comic as his file copies. From what I understand, Bob Overstreet and Russ Cochrane were big EC fans who were instrumental in getting the GFCs for sale. So the initial offering was directly from Gaines. Where do the current comics come from? They can't be from a random number of collectors deciding to part with them- it seems like most are from one source, as most still have the certificate of authenticity. Who is the source?

And that is one sweet Crime Suspenstories #22- winner of the Board's Best Cover competition!