• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Word From The MH Temple Mount...

64 posts in this topic

I bought a handful of issues from Chuck after first getting back into collecting. Truthfully, I didn't experience any problems, and the grading actually wasn't far off the mark- all were Coppers or Moderns, however, so not a lot invested into the purchase.

Still, the pricing is a little out there. 'Fraid I can't look at buying from MH unless he got into 90% off sales. Maybe then.

It reads a bit like one of two things; the words of a desparate man, or the words of someone who has run out of otherwise interesting bits to put in his newsletter.

Seriously, the things could be four sentences long; "Howdy! I'm in City X, buying comics for pennies on the dollar! Code word this week is BENDOVER. My tummy hurts. Love, Chuck."

Chuck might be a legend in the hobby, but the two times that I've ever seen him, he was bent over digging through .25 cent and .50 cent boxes at cons. He was working his off. Hell bent on locating those hard to find issues from his customer's want lists. I watched him for hours and never saw him so much as glance at a book that was marked above a buck.

He should be honored in a "Real Men of Genius" commercial.

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, Mr. Violator of the Unsullied Genitalia. And remember...when we're looking to fill a hole in our collection...we're looking for a good, hard "Chucking".

:acclaim:

Chuck might be a legend in the hobby, but the two times that I've ever seen him, he was bent over digging through .25 cent and .50 cent boxes at cons. He was working his off. Hell bent on locating those hard to find issues from his customer's want lists. I watched him for hours and never saw him so much as glance at a book that was marked above a buck.

He should be honored in a "Real Men of Genius" commercial.

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, Mr. Violator of the Unsullied Genitalia. And remember...when we're looking to fill a hole in our collection...we're looking for a good, hard "Chucking".

:acclaim:

GREAT POST!

I love those commercials, too!

I've personally met Chuck and he's a genuinely nice guy. His heart seems to be in the right place and you can't fault his business acumen. But it seems he's starting to believe his own hype and it's creepy in the way it's unfolding. I truly believe he believes what he's saying but it's turned the corner from overstating his position to actually being sincere in his belief regardless of the reality...

Jim

Its just Chuck being Chuck.Why does everyone read his newsletter if you aren't going to buy anyway? I subscribed to it and the Diamomd one for awhile but every week or so when I went to delete my emails,it usaully got deleted unread. To save time,I simply unsubscribed.Too much on my plate to read things I've no use for.

This truly does cross the sanity line. And the next time I see Chuck, I am actually going to say something. Since he appears at these local shows etc., I'm sure I'll get the chance. Then there will be no more of this, I've never received complaints about grading etc.

He tried to invite himself to one of my shows to buy early but I told him that any buying would be done by the paying attendees that are loyal to our show.

He's the Carpet Bagging Mr. Potter of the Comic Book business telling everyone what a favor he is doing them by flying in and buying at ten cents on the dollar before the paying con attendees get a chance to see the dealer's comics.

and that his grading is second to none.

That would be Joe None. Chuck hired him after he was fired from PGX for overgrading.

(Off topic for this thread: I cracked my one and only PGX book this afternoon.

Then I read it. :o )

Now you've done it.

I've personally met Chuck and he's a genuinely nice guy. His heart seems to be in the right place and you can't fault his business acumen. But it seems he's starting to believe his own hype and it's creepy in the way it's unfolding. I truly believe he believes what he's saying but it's turned the corner from overstating his position to actually being sincere in his belief regardless of the reality...

Jim

He is a nice guy to meet in person.

And I agree with his starting to believe his own hype.

Right out of college, I worked for a small business where the owner had a completely overinflated sense of position and influence. We'd go to client meetings and everything he said was complete puffery or outright fabrications. This guy really though he was Donald Trump.

A senior associate who was much older than me, took me aside after an especially exasperating meeting one day and said, "Son, there's nothing wrong with a little creative puffery for the clients. But, we're in real trouble here. He actually believes his own bulls*!t."

I met him once and he was nice. I've bought from him once and the grades weren't that far off. But he's way too over-priced for me and I don't even look at his site anymore.

But, his newsletters are funny (in a sad, delusional, carnival-barker sort of way. )