• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Pedigree?

191 posts in this topic

Why does a pedigree even matter? Who cares if a 9.6 book has a pedigree or not? The origin of a book shouldn't influence it's value. Who cares if a book was once owned by Mile High or Nick Cage? These factors are vagueries used to inflate the price of the book that should have no bearance on it's value. At VERY best, a Pedigree is another bullet point in an auction, adding some merit to the authenticity of a book. It does provides a buyer with reassurance but does NOT increase the overal sigificance of a book. ...so why pay more for peace of mind?

This subject really irks me!!

In some ways, it's just another venue for collectors to do what we do best: collect. Same reason some people get involved with the hunt for the ultra-high grade slab whereas for some of us, VF is plenty high grade enough.

I also think it's a way for people to bring their collection a new level. Just as athletes compete trying to outdo themselves and their fellow competitors, some collectors find different means to set their collection apart from others.

I personally have little desire to collect pedigrees primarily because pedigreed comics come slabbed (and this really isn't my bag). But, whatever floats your boat so long as it doesn't sink mine, I say!

I used to think like you. Then I saw some Church golden age books in person and in two seconds I realized that everything else looks like birdcage liner in comparison. Some pedigrees might be BS, and the mutiples they generate unfounded, but that's not true across the board. There is a reason why many of the most experienced collectors in the hobby chase books from certain pedigrees.

Like Andy said, Not all Pedigree books are made the same nor are all books with the same numerical grade at the top of the slab. Some like the history aspect, others know they are getting books that are of general better quality. Pedigree books that are from " top tier " ones have similiar qualities that appeal to different collector's OCD interests.

I used to think like you. Then I saw some Church golden age books in person and in two seconds I realized that everything else looks like birdcage liner in comparison. Some pedigrees might be BS, and the mutiples they generate unfounded, but that's not true across the board. There is a reason why many of the most experienced collectors in the hobby chase books from certain pedigrees.

I agree with this. Initially all I wanted were high grade books, but after a few years collecting and reading about the history of comics I have come to appreciate pedigrees. There is definitely something about holding a little piece of history.

Mike

I'll second what october said. It all sounds well and good until you see some of the books. That's not to say that a nice glossy white-paged non-ped is anything to sneeze at, but when I hear "Church" or "Pennsylvania" or "SF" or even "New Hampshire", I have a known commodity.

There are some peds that don't garner that response from me. I consider those no more than another nice copy of a book that doesn't necessarily warrant a premium.

Love, love, love. There's nothing you can do that can't be done. Nothing you can sing that can't be sung. Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game. It's easy.

Nothing you can make that can't be made. No one you can save that can't be saved. Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time. It's easy.

All you need is love. All you need is love. All you need is love, love. Love is all you need.

Nothing you can know that isn't known. Nothing you can see that isn't shown. Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be. It's easy.

All you need is love. All you need is love. All you need is love, love. Love is all you need.

All you need is love (all together, now!) All you need is love. (everybody!) All you need is love, love. Love is all you need (love is all you need).

<3

I don't actively collect Peds , but there are a couple I would love to one just one book from due to the history/ story behind them the one that strikes me the most is the San Francisco Ped. I would love to own any book from that Ped, alas they all seem out of my price range.

Why does a pedigree even matter? Who cares if a 9.6 book has a pedigree or not? The origin of a book shouldn't influence it's value. Who cares if a book was once owned by Mile High or Nick Cage? These factors are vagueries used to inflate the price of the book that should have no bearance on it's value. At VERY best, a Pedigree is another bullet point in an auction, adding some merit to the authenticity of a book. It does provides a buyer with reassurance but does NOT increase the overal sigificance of a book. ...so why pay more for peace of mind?

Seriously, maybe you might want to do some research before you start a thread that is just a glaring example of your own ignorance.

Just as athletes compete trying to outdo themselves and their fellow competitors, some collectors find different means to set their collection apart from others.

I think I just puked a bit. :sick:

Seriously folks, get a grip. Although I like collecting comics, it's idiotic stuff like this that makes me want go on a murderous rage on as many nerds as I can find.

Seriously, maybe you might want to do some research before you start a thread that is just a glaring example of your own ignorance.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. I made a mistake. I mistook the names of collections for actual pedigrees. I don't profess to be an expert in the subject, hence, my starting this thread. Please add constructive criticism and leave the overt expressions of your arrogance to yourself. Clear out boys, we have an alpha-male in our presence.

Everyone else, thank you for providing insights into this subject.

Just as athletes compete trying to outdo themselves and their fellow competitors, some collectors find different means to set their collection apart from others.

I think I just puked a bit. :sick:

Seriously folks, get a grip. Although I like collecting comics, it's idiotic stuff like this that makes me want go on a murderous rage on as many nerds as I can find.

C'mon now, it's just words. Try decaf but if that does not work are you taking requests on your rampage? :wishluck: