• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to sell my collection in one shot...without getting raped on it.

123 posts in this topic

Sorry ot hear about your troubles.

The ebay/clink route would be the way to go. See if you can find a trustworthy comic book knowledgable friend or acquaintance who lives near you and have them sell the stuff for a small percentage.

I'd hate to see you dump them all for a fraction of their value. Especially all those spideys I sold you!

:baiting:

Somehow I'm feeling this was just a teaser to get some dealers bidding on it. meh

Honestly, if I had my way, I would not be selling anything.

I am not selling my collection because I want to, I have to. I have a few things that have happened in my life that are more important than comic books (my family, and their well being, etc.)

I was buying books right up until Christmas, and a bunch of things happened all at once.

I am not trying to "get anyone bidding" on anything, I simply asked a question and was hoping for some good advice (which I have received for the most part).

I have received a ton of PM's inquiring about the collection...the only thing I am trying to do is get it inventoried, and put a list together, so I can determine the best course of action.

Somehow I'm feeling this was just a teaser to get some dealers bidding on it. meh

Honestly, if I had my way, I would not be selling anything.

I am not selling my collection because I want to, I have to. I have a few things that have happened in my life that are more important than comic books (my family, and their well being, etc.)

I was buying books right up until Christmas, and a bunch of things happened all at once.

I am not trying to "get anyone bidding" on anything, I simply asked a question and was hoping for some good advice (which I have received for the most part).

I have received a ton of PM's inquiring about the collection...the only thing I am trying to do is get it inventoried, and put a list together, so I can determine the best course of action.

Are you going to post the list publicly before selling or do I have to PM you to get in line?

:whistle:

How would I be breaking the rules? I am not selling anything in this thread, I am simply putting a list up of what my collection consists of.

If I put a list of my collection in the marketplace, without prices....then I would be breaking the rules.

I think if board members saw what my collection consisted of (rather than a general idea of whats there) they would be better able to offer specific advice as to what to do.

I am pretty sure that most reputable dealers will pay you more than 50% of guide on the keys in your collection, especially for items they need. However, no one is going to pay a high percentage on books that they already have 10 copies of and it is a common book.

And a hint, if you sell the keys in the marketplace, you are really going to screw yourself on selling the remainder of your collection.

Thanks for all the advice, and kind words guys. I just have a TON of stuff, making the time to sell it all off individually, or in small lots, packaging, shipping, grading etc etc. is nearly impossible.

What do the major dealers usually charge to take something in on consignment 15-20%?

Do you realize how long it is going to take to get your money by selling the books on consignment? Dealers don't sell even the books you listed every day. Sure, you can sell an AF #15 fast, but there are a ton of Am Spidey #1s on the market, tons of X-Men #1s, and that is the better stuff. If you need the money now, this is not a realistic option. If you are not in a hurry, then that is a completely different story.

I agree, if you list your high end stuff (20 or so books) here you could probably get more just in those books, then if you sold the entire lot to a dealer

That is incorrect. I recently paid 3200.00 for an AF #15 which I sold for 4000.00. Instead of listening to what people who don't know what they are talking about, why don't you call some reputable dealers and see what you can get for the collection?

No reputable dealer is going to offer you 20% on the stuff you are talking about. And while there are forumites who have the cash to really help you out, most of those guys already have the books you are looking to sell. A dealer or one of the auction houses is your best option to get alot of money at one time.

How would I be breaking the rules? I am not selling anything in this thread, I am simply putting a list up of what my collection consists of.

If I put a list of my collection in the marketplace, without prices....then I would be breaking the rules.

I think if board members saw what my collection consisted of (rather than a general idea of whats there) they would be better able to offer specific advice as to what to do.

Allow me to intercede for the kinder gentler JC. If you post a list here, you're doing so to solicit offers via PM. That's a no-no for 2 reasons: 1) This is not the sales forum. 2) Even if it were, you have to post a price. Why not just start a thread with some opening prices you will accept in the Marketplace once you have it inventoried?

Dale

Do you really thing that a dealer would pay much over 20% for a whole collection of over 3000 books? Yes it has a bunch of keys that are worth 50%+ as they can be turned relatively quickly, but won't it also have thousands of books that will either have to be blown out or will sit for many years taking up space and costing money to maintain.

It seems to me that most of the stuff may not go for more that 10% if the keys are pulled out.

If you do not need to get rid of the boxes right away I think you will do better by selling the 50 key books first and then selling the bulk off to a dealer.

Then do it, and let the Mods decide, but I bet they delete it ASAP and you get a warning.

People have tried this before, and been pointed directly to the Marketplace by the Mods, so I don't see how you're any different.

Dale

Do you really thing that a dealer would pay much over 20% for a whole collection of over 3000 books? Yes it has a bunch of keys that are worth 50%+ as they can be turned relatively quickly, but won't it also have thousands of books that will either have to be blown out or will sit for many years taking up space and costing money to maintain.

It seems to me that most of the stuff may not go for more that 10% if the keys are pulled out.

If you do not need to get rid of the boxes right away I think you will do better by selling the 50 key books first and then selling the bulk off to a dealer.

I know I pay fair prices for collections. Sure everyone wants the best deal they can get, but guys like me, Bob, Brent and others will pay good serious money for collections.

Look, I have no idea what this guy has. Maybe all of his books are ragged out, maybe they are really nice. I don't know and I dont think he has been that specific, but lets say a dealer pays 75- 80% on the super keys (forumites are not going to pay more than that, or they could just go buy the books from a dealer), 50- 60% on the early issues (pre 1964), and then 40 - 50% on the decent stuff, say from 1965 - 1972. Nobody is going to pay much on the stuff newer than that unless it is immaculate, because it is relatively common. And that won't matter, because it is a fraction of the value of the other books. In the overall scheme of things, you are probably going to end up with 50% or more for the entire collection.

Or you can sell the best stuff to forumites, and try your luck selling the rest to a dealer.

To me, the math is pretty easy.