• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is it just me?

128 posts in this topic

One thing I don't like about these conversations is this constant "we all buy what we can afford" BS.

That has absolutely nothing to do with it, as I have enough money to buy virtually any comic book I want, but I'm still in there low-balling greggy for his BA cast-offs. :insane:

Why? Because collecting comics is just a hobby to me, not a lifestyle.

I bet there are a ton of others on here, if they really wanted to write the checks, could clean out a good percentage of a Heritage auction - but choose not to.

I also bet that quite a few people on here spending big $$$ cannot even remotely afford it, and have to go into debt and pay it off later.

Find me some Uber HG collectors that aren't concerned about future values.....

Well, I'm hardly an Uber HG collector, but I neither know, nor care, what my collection is worth any more than I know how much my PS2/3 games or DVDs are worth.

It's spent entertainment dollars!! :banana:

what i'm saying makes perfect sense and you know it. 9.0 to 9.8 are all still considered HG with only minor flaws that separate them. clearly G books are in a totally different league.

Comparing a 9.0 to a 9.8 is like comparing a 7.0 to a 9.0.

Here's where my lollipop went:

My post wasn't directed at you as much as it was to Monstro:

"i mean it seems to me unless you have cash pouring out of your ears any sane person would buy at least the 9.2 and spend the extra 800 on another sweet book. "

He's concluding that since he doesn't by 9.6 and 9.8 books that he's sane and every else is not.

BUT and there's always a but....Monstro goes on to say

"lets not get ridiculous. there is a major difference between G's and 9.2 / 9.0's of course."

Well let me see...too hi a grade is not good, but too low a grade is also not good.

Only your grade is good.

I tire of this. If you're bored at work it should at least give you enought time to think out a well reasoned post. Don't pounce on low grade or hi grade.

How's that for someone needing a lollipop?

R.

what i'm saying makes perfect sense and you know it. 9.0 to 9.8 are all still considered HG with only minor flaws that separate them. clearly G books are in a totally different league.

and i'm not busting on G books, they just don't fit into this conversation.

What you are saying does not make perfect sense because it is a relative arguement. There is no right and wrong.

The problem is, when you begin to use descriptive words like "sane" and phrases like "of course there is a difference" you are now taking a position and not stating an opinion.

There is no insanity at spending $800,000 on a comic if your name is Shaq and can spend that much each month on clothes and entertainment.

Why would your definition of what is reasonable over rule someone else's?

R.

i would never question Shaq if he spent 800 grand on a comic.

Well, I'm hardly an Uber HG collector, but I neither know, nor care, what my collection is worth any more than I know how much my PS2/3 games or DVDs are worth.

It's spent entertainment dollars!! :banana:

so what are you playing on the PS3???

Spill it!

hm

true maybe that was a bit drastic. but not nearly as drastic as comparing a G with a 9.2

get my point

Marvel Ultimate Allliance and a killer PS2 copy of Baldur's Gate 2: Dark Alliance that I got at a used game shop for $4.99. :o

Great multi-player game, and it usually sells for $40+ used on EBay.

Not really. The multiple paid for a 9.0 over a 7.0 pales in comparison to a 9.8 over a 9.0

:pullhair: it's not that i can't appreciate HG. i just can't understand paying a grand extra for one grade point

Amen, brother! Let's face it, on any given day, a particular book could easily be re-graded up or down by one grade demarcation. (By that I mean, if we each cracked out a bunch of 9.6s and re-submitted, nobody would be surprised that a significant number came back as 9.4s or 9.8s --- that is just a fact, and due to the inherent tolerances and subjectivity in the grading standards).

Knowing that a 9.6 and a 9.4 are often indistinguishable (see: Nik's Grading Contest lol ), I would never spend big bucks for a grade higher.

However, I totally appreciate the focused collector who has set a personal goal for a complete run in, let's say, 9.8. When working toward a run like that, I can understand why some people pay more than I would dream of shelling out.

we've discussed this many times before. Bottom line is that people should collect what they like.

But they don't. They collect what they think others will like....down the road.

I think that is OK too.

Sure it is. People can invest in comics all they like. Unfortunately....buying slabbed 9.8s at current market prices is more akin to flushing one's money down the toilet IMO. People seem to think that there will always be someone down the road that will pay more than they did. That's not always the case...and I imagine many of them are in for a rude wakening in the future.

Those are investors not collectors

Eric Roberts :whistle:
Should have said, " Find me some Uber HG collectors who work for their money that aren't concerned about future values" (thumbs u

Baldur's Gate 2: Dark Alliance .

I've played that...

If you get a chance these are pretty sweet, but most are short

and really only worth a rental for their price.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Assassin's Creed

Heavenly Sword

:cloud9:

Those are investors not collectors

You either:

A) Buy for love alone

B) Buy for love, but want to keep the option to liquidate

C) Buy for profit, but love the books too

D) Buy for profit alone

'Uber HG collectors' exist in all four categories.

I'm working on a strictly 'uber HG' run of a certain copper/modern title. Apart from #1, these books will never increase in value, and will probably be essentially worthless to almost anyone but me. They are readily available for pennies in anything up to NM+ condition, but I'm paying $$'s for 9.8 and above, whether by buying several raws to find the odd 9.8 or buying them pre-slabbed.

This is NOT an investment!

Say you don't have much room (my comics are relegated to the understair cupboard), so you can't physically store complete runs of ASM, FF, Batman, Tec etc etc etc. If I had unlimited storage space I would own many thousands of comics! But I don't, so I limit myself to a few very specific runs.

When those limited runs are complete, what else is there to do but upgrade?

PS I'm somewhere between category A and B. I'd like to have the option to liquidate, but with certain of my purchases I know it's money down the drain (and well spent!)

we've discussed this many times before. Bottom line is that people should collect what they like.

But they don't. They collect what they think others will like....down the road.

I think that is OK too.

But that's how stupidity like the Independent Craze of the mid-80's and the mid-90's Modern Boom got started.

A lot of people blindly stockpiling what they *thought* others would be interested in, rather than concentrating on what they were *actually* interested in.