• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the deal on Vault of Horror #12 (#1)?

38 posts in this topic

I noticed that the highest graded copy on the census is "only" a 9.4, which is a COW paged NORTHFORD copy. Does anyone know if there were any specific Gaines File Copy of this issue? I'm assuming that the Gaines copy/copies isn't/aren't (gulp) below 9.4 for this issue. I'm just trying to understand if the scarcity is real or perceived.

I'm hoping someone on the inside track might know what's really going on. IE they have seen a high grade Gaines copy of this issue raw/etc or know how many Gaines issues were available.

Thanks!

I noticed that the highest graded copy on the census is "only" a 9.4, which is a COW paged Northland copy. Does anyone know if there were any specific Gaines File Copy of this issue? I'm assuming that the Gaines copy/copies isn't/aren't (gulp) below 9.4 for this issue. I'm just trying to understand if the scarcity is real or perceived.

I'm hoping someone on the inside track might know what's really going on.

Thanks!

I owned the entire Vault of Horror Gaines File run (#2 copies) back in the mid 90's. The run also included War Against Crime 10 and 11.

Not one issue was below a 9.4.

I owned the entire Vault of Horror Gaines File run (#2 copies) back in the mid 90's. The run also included War Against Crime 10 and 11.

:cloud9:

Great, that gives me hope, as I don't particularly like the cut and PQ of the NORTHFORD. :thumbsup:

Is there any documentation of all of the Gaines copies...number of issues and grades of each? That would be interesting and informative to know.

I noticed that the highest graded copy on the census is "only" a 9.4, which is a COW paged Northland copy. Does anyone know if there were any specific Gaines File Copy of this issue? I'm assuming that the Gaines copy/copies isn't/aren't (gulp) below 9.4 for this issue. I'm just trying to understand if the scarcity is real or perceived.

Thanks!

(worship) (worship) (worship)

"owned" ? Past tense? Love to know what you gave that up for....

That would be one of my dream collections!!

Thanks!

All but the last 3, IIRC.

My understanding is that there is only one Gaines File Copy of VOH #12(#1). It was graded a 9.2 and sold by Heritage a few years ago for I think $28k. I haven't seen it re-emerge since. If you look at the Heritage archives, you'll see the sale and also the description of it being the sole Gaines File Copy. Thus, unlike most other New Trend ECs, VOH #12(#1) is in fact VERY scarce in high grade, the Northland Copy being the highest graded thus far. I own the 9.0 copy on the census and am very happy to have it. Hope that helps.

My understanding is that there is only one Gaines File Copy of VOH #12(#1). It was graded a 9.2 and sold by Heritage a few years ago for I think $28k. I haven't seen it re-emerge since. If you look at the Heritage archives, you'll see the sale and also the description of it being the sole Gaines File Copy. Thus, unlike most other New Trend ECs, VOH #12(#1) is in fact VERY scarce in high grade, the Northland Copy being the highest graded thus far. I own the 9.0 copy on the census and am very happy to have it. Hope that helps.

That can't be true. I had War Against Crime 10 and 11, and Vault of Horror 12 - 28, and they were the #2 copies. That would indicate there was a #1 of each wouldn't it?

Thanks!

It is possible the last 3 were 9.2. One was kind of lulled into a trance after the slew of 9.8, 9.6, 9.4 issue after issue.

The WAC 10 was perfect, just flawless.

That can't be true. I had War Against Crime 10 and 11, and Vault of Horror 12 - 28, and they were the #2 copies. That would indicate there was a #1 of each wouldn't it?

Not sure what to tell you. Heritage is pretty clear that there was only one Gaines copy of #12 (#1) -- you can see the assertion in their archives. Apparently, one of you is mistaken.

Not sure what to tell you. Heritage is pretty clear that there was only one Gaines copy of #12 (#1) -- you can see the assertion in their archives. Apparently, one of you is mistaken.

Heritage wasn't selling comics in those days, but I was. And it doesn't just come down to me vs. Heritage. The books were all the #2 copies, labeled by Gaines and Russ Cochran and witnessed by Bob Overstreet. So I guess they were wrong too?

Thanks!

I meant that you did not own the last 3, VOH 38-40. They were sold by BH prior to you picking up the set.

Heritage wasn't selling comics in those days, but I was. And it doesn't just come down to me vs. Heritage. The books were all the #2 copies, labeled by Gaines and Russ Cochran and witnessed by Bob Overstreet. So I guess they were wrong too?

I can't really speak for Heritage and what support they have for their assertion that there is only one Gaines VOH #12 (#1)... they'll need to chime in and explain that themselves. The only anecdotal support I can give them is that in my ten years of pretty heavy EC collecting, I've only seen one Gaines copy -- theirs. I can also say that of the top three copies on the CGC census, the sole 9.4 (and highest graded copy) is the Northford Copy (and it's curently listed on ComicLink), the 9.2 is the Gaines copy sold by Heritage, and the 9.0 is a non-pedigree copy currently owned by me. While there may be a second Gaines copy out there as you believe, I think it is a very remote likelihood that there are many Gaines copies... some of them would have shown up in the market and/or on the CGC census as every other EC key has. I suppose the answer is pretty knowable by just asking Overstreet or Cochran who were there when the EC archives were opened.

I'm not home to double check, but I believe the Overstreet that talks about the unearthing of the Gaines copies tells which books they were light on (and someone can always ask Jerry W. he was there with Bob), and I believe there was an article about it in CBG at the time also. I remember it specifically noting Vault #12 as being the book with the least number of copies. I could go with one or three here (but not more).

Bill could there have been three copies, but the family only sold one of them?

If I had to rely on info provided by Heritage vs Ciorac, Ciorac wins every time...the dude has a memory like 10 elephants and a passion for comics nearly unmatched, and we all know of Heritage and their many past listing mistakes (I am not saying intentional, but mistakes nonetheless)