• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tape pull on cover..then placed back on book.....SHOWCASE 4

25 posts in this topic

hi..huge question here...getting ready to send this SHOWCASE 4 off to cgc...along with the af#15..here's my delima...the person i bought it from got the scotch tape on the bag stuck to the bottom right of the cover..where it says "fastest man alive!"...so when pulled off it took the "f"..now says "astest man alive"....he then cut the tape from the bag and trimmed it down then re-stuck it in place to say "fastest" again....is this "restoration"...do i take that color pull tape back off??? or is it just tape on the book?.....any thought??? any cgc people around to respond?thanks....the picture is all i have to show...and you can see the color pull down where the "f" is suppose to be...picture was before he put the tape back in place.....dont want a PLOD.

showcase4.jpg

Why are comic collectors so lazy they can't take the tape completely off the bag before they pull the comic out of it?

*If I pull it out fast enough, the tape will never have time to touch the front cover of the book...*

I can't feel pity for people that do it because it is totally unavoidable. :whatev:

I'm not trying to derail your thread, krypto, I'm just making a comment.

I have no idea what CGC would grade it. If it was me, I'd have the tape removed before they graded it. It's destroying the book by being stuck to it, so why not remove it?

thanks for the input...i agree..it was a total amature move from somebody that "bought these in an estate auction in an old chest..blah,blah"....anyways...at least they sent me the book with all of its pieces.....anyways..i'm torn between a white pull area in a bright orange backdrop..and the word "astest" on the cover...or a tiny 1/4 x 1/4 inch tape and no color loss and my flash is once again the "fastest"...any more thought???is it resto? or just tape on cover?

blue label

hi..huge question here...getting ready to send this SHOWCASE 4 off to cgc...along with the af#15..here's my delima...the person i bought it from got the scotch tape on the bag stuck to the bottom right of the cover..where it says "fastest man alive!"...so when pulled off it took the "f"..now says "astest man alive"....he then cut the tape from the bag and trimmed it down then re-stuck it in place to say "fastest" again....is this "restoration"...do i take that color pull tape back off??? or is it just tape on the book?.....any thought??? any cgc people around to respond?thanks....the picture is all i have to show...and you can see the color pull down where the "f" is suppose to be...picture was before he put the tape back in place.....dont want a PLOD.

showcase4.jpg

With the creasing and wear that the book has, a small 1/4" color lift shouldn't much affect the grade at this level, nor should the small amount of tape on the cover. However, tape on the cover will likely lower it's sale value more than the color lift, primarily because of the damage it will do. If you can safely remove the tape, that would be the preferred option.

thanks for the input...what hurts the grade more ?the tape being there or the color pull??

Tape, unless it's special archival tape, is considered a defect and would not affect the type of slab CGC would encapsulate that book in.

Hard to tell about the grade, though. If the book is otherwise VG, it's likely the defect wouldn't do anything to the grade, but if it's F+ or so, it might take it down to the VG or VG+ range, imho

Personally, I would leave the tape off of the book as the glue will wind up damaging everything it touches over time, which of course includes the entire pulled area, as well as whatever area around the pull its secured to

from what i'm feeling on the advice so far...is that since this book is in the g/vg area..probably a cgc 2.5/3..the tape pull is better to deal with than to send the book and get it slabbed with the small tape still attached???right?......even though the "f" fron the wording on the bottom will be gone.....book will now say "astest man alive!"

Heh, I do NOT get dealers that do that sort of thing. I once saw a dealer acquaintance do the exact same thing to an otherwise F- Batman 4. Ripped the finish right off the book. He sent it into the Restoration Lab and they fixed it, but somewhere out there it's either private collection and unknown resto or a PLOD. Damned fools, it only takes a couple seconds to pull that hunk of tape off....

Leave the tape OFF. If you leave the tape on, it will show up in the graders comments on the label. Those comments are always read by potential buyers and influence their judgement to buy (in a negative way). However, may buyers will forgive the CGC number grade if they personally feel the book is better looking than the grade.

thanks for the input but the tape is off...and just so you know...cgc stopped puting graders notes regarding tape on books a few years ago....they felt it confused people....RARELY you will see a fresh slabbed book with tape note,but the tape is usually on the inside...cover tape is not mentioned anymore.....but thanks for the thought.....i removed the tape....