• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom Corbett - Space Cadet

52 posts in this topic

Tom Corbett got his start as a TV series on CBS in 1950. I've never seen any of the shows, but B&W stills from it look pretty silly, on a par with Captain Video or Rocky Jones, Space Ranger.

But the Dell covers that came from that are great -- I've always enjoyed these painted Space Cadet covers. They have that "golden age" of science fiction look about them, without being too hokey or dumb. I can easily see them gracing the cover of one of Heinlein's juveniles.

There are the 3 issues that ran under Dell's "Four Color" run (378, 400, and 421 -- all in 1952) and then there are these 8 issues that ran in their own series starting in 1953 with issue number 4.

These 8 are not the best graded copies, but they are all file copies from Western.

Each is stamped (or stamped twice):

RETURN TO:

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENT

WESTERN PRINTING & LITHO CO.

RACINE, WISCONSIN

I think it's cool to have the file copies for the entire run.

tom_corbett_small.jpg

Tom Corbett got his start as a TV series on CBS in 1950. I've never seen any of the shows, but B&W stills from it look pretty silly, on a par with Captain Video or Rocky Jones, Space Ranger.

But the Dell covers that came from that are great -- I've always enjoyed these painted Space Cadet covers. They have that "golden age" of science fiction look about them, without being too hokey or dumb. I can easily see them gracing the cover of one of Heinlein's juveniles.

There are the 3 issues that ran under Dell's "Four Color" run (378, 400, and 421 -- all in 1952) and then there are these 8 issues that ran in their own series starting in 1953 with issue number 4.

These 8 are not the best graded copies, but they are all file copies from Western.

Each is stamped (or stamped twice):

RETURN TO:

EDITORIAL DEPARTMENT

WESTERN PRINTING & LITHO CO.

RACINE, WISCONSIN

I think it's cool to have the file copies for the entire run.

tom_corbett_small.jpg

(worship) Most impressive!

Tom Corbett Space Cadet books have fabulous cover. I used to collect Four Colors, and also had some of the regular issues. The painted covers add so much to the books.

Did you accumulate these in a one-shot deal?

I totally agree! I'm a big fan of the Dell painted covers from the 1950s and early 1960s, and think the Tom Corbett covers particularly stand out. Plus, they are cheap as dirt, relatively speaking.

Very nice, Gozer. I have a set of the novels that they created at the same time. Kind of Hardy Boys goes into outer space series.

Wow. I was hoping these would stay quiet until I got around to finding a place for them in my collection. I grew up watching reruns of Tom Corbett (80s). These books are amazing and what a feat to have all the file copies. I think Stronguy is looking for these also.

Great books.

>> Did you accumulate these in a one-shot deal?

Yes. I got them from Metropolis a year or two ago.

>> Plus, they are cheap as dirt, relatively speaking.

Yeah, there must not be that much demand for them. Mid grade copies

go for peanuts.

>> I have a set of the novels that they created at the same time.

>> Kind of Hardy Boys goes into outer space

I found a few of them at a garage sale recently. The ones I read

were ... pretty ... uh, standard fare. I think they're aimed at 10-year

olds, so what do you expect.

>> Great books

Thank you. Next show at 9pm and be sure and tip your waitress.

gozer

-------------------------------------

Gentlemen, you've both worked very hard. And in a way,

you're both winners. But in another more accurate way,

Barney is the winner.

I just recently discovered these books and have been looking for high grade copies. Several of them sold for very affordable prices on Heritage back in October but the prices on eBay have been nuts thanks to VaultKeeper00. He has a 9.4 #5 (which is the one with the most 9.4s) listed for $285 which is about 2.5x GPA. There was also a 9.2 #10 (highest grade) up for auction recently that I put in a $200 bid on -- nearly 2x the GPA on the 9.0 sale. VaultKeeper00 ended up winning this one for $205. :sorry:

You're reminding me of how much I wanted to go to outer space when I was a kid. The amazing thing is that there's a nascent space tourism industry that is likely to grow significantly in the next few decades. I don't think anyone else is going to the moon but a lot more folks will make it into space.

Can I play? NO. The cover of #11 is particularly outstanding. I really like Four the Color #421 cover.

Ha. You only have 2 file copies. I have 4. Quantity > Quality.