• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your most expensive comic buy

36 posts in this topic

You were 13 in 1990?

I thought you were 13 last week...

Curse you, 'House!!!!!!!!!! "Ding-dong you're dead" indeed!!!!!

Well, I have a little surprise for you.

Rumor has it, you read this post, then you get a weird phone call, then seven days later... YOU DIE.

To quote N*StYNC... "Byebyebye (byebye)"

Oh, and if you haven't seen "The Ring"... it's so worth the time. If only to gain some small understanding about what the hades I am talking about here.

How do you pro small comic shop owners keep your personal collection spending from your store inventory spending? Since everything I buy is for my collection, it seems to me that if I were suddenly plunged into doing comics full-time, I'd keep telling myself "I'm buying this as an investment for my business!" when really that's just a way to rationalize why I should buy it for myself.

It's tough.. but it's also absolutely necessary... both from an accounting standpoint and a customer goodwill standpoint. One of the things people complain about with stores that carry back issues is that the owner keeps all the good stuff. I can't keep my customers happy for long if I do that. So I have to make the decision whether I would rather have a store or have the best collection. I would rather have a store.

Don't get me wrong, my personal collection has some nice stuff. But most of what I have is stuff that NEVER comes through the store. If I want the joy of owning a DD 7, there's two in the boxes out in the store. Romantic Hearts #9 on the other hand (with one of the all-time great catfight covers) is in my own stash. Most of my customers are stunned to discover that my own collection is less than four long-boxes.

And the store does not speculate in new books. To do so would be suicide. So any speculating that I think is warranted (as when I over-ordered USM 3 by 200 copies) is done personally with separate funds. If some of that speculation works out, the store has access to the books on a consignment basis.

And last year I made a change to only selling on eBay on a personal level. I was a PowerSeller under my store's name for three years which went just great for about 2-1/2. Then my partners could not agree on how to value the eBay feedback I had earned and the fight that followed got ugly. I am still cleaning up the mess that followed. So until that is settled, I am only selling personally and the account I used to have sits dormant.

The coin and jewelry dealer who is next door to me is one of my best customers, and he has indicated the main reason I see his business is that I don't cherry-pick all the best stuff and take it home. So many collectibles dealers do exactly that, and in the process choose that their own collection is more important than their customers.

Here I am pushing my 500 word limit again... making my response to ablue more reality than fantasy... smile.gif But in direct response to your question, it's tough... it's very tough...

got your email scan thanks, and wow! that is exstensive h20 damage. the 2 books i have in question are barely noticeable so maybe cgc will grade them accordingly. as for you paying $650 for the asm 1 in 1991, this reminds me of my brother who bought a silver surfer 1 in 1987 in vg for $50. it really hasn't appreciated much if not little since then. frown.gif