• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,950 posts in this topic

Without getting into the whole argument one way or the other, if you're disappointed with CGC's grading, I'd suggest you steel yourself something fierce if you're going to start using PGX.

It's like being frustrated with Mercedes quality and buying a Trabant in protest

I'm just curious about CGC's grading and the inconsistencies I have seen here and there, especially the obvious ones, like a few of the links I have posted demonstrating high grades with obvious signs of wear, did they really deserve that grade and if they did, what about the one I submitted that shows less wear? Should it grade higher? Grading of comics is very subjective but when it's this obvious it makes one wonder on grading accuracies, and, well maybe mine wasn't graded accurately. What's wrong with that? I'm sure most people who get their comics are sometimes puzzled from the grades their books recieved, just because collectors don't work for CGC doesn't make them bad graders.

Colugo

Easy, now.

There's nothing wrong with feeling as though a book you got was graded "incorrectly." It happens.

You could always call CGC and make the case for why you think the markings on your book should not have been factored in when being graded. I believe this sort of thing has happened before. In this case, sending the book back in would result in the same grade you got unless the position of the pregrader with respect to the flaws outlined by Bradleyx2 changes.

Without getting into the whole argument one way or the other, if you're disappointed with CGC's grading, I'd suggest you steel yourself something fierce if you're going to start using PGX.

I don't use PGX, never had, but out of curiosity what is wrong with them? I always say it's better to have two companies that provide same services, or products to avoid monopolies and keep low pricing and competitive quality.

Colugo

saying CGC and PGX offer the same services is like saying Mack and Hyundai both make vehicles.

PGX books will almost always net you less money than an equivalently-graded CGC slab when you sell. The chance of this happening increases exponentially as the book moves closer to the start of the GA. They have a documented history of allowing a known scam artist to pass off restored books as unrestored. They have a well-earned history at being terrible restoration detectors. They can be very hit-and-miss with their grading in the middle range, with the emphasis on miss.

If they are your OO books and you want them slabbed then you are welcome to use PGX but I think you would have trouble finding more than a handful here who would recommend this practise

Actually I'm quite calm. :) I will take your advise and I'm concidering re-submission but as I stated earlier, I would rather not due to the chances of the book becoming damaged in the process through multiple trips through the US postal service. What I would like to do is bring it to a show and have them look at it there so it can avoid the postal process. Do they encapsulate at the shows? or do they grade it there and take it back to Sarasota,Fl?

Colugo

oh no...lets not go there. If you do a search on PGX, there are plenty of discussions about what is wrong with PGX. Nonetheless, I think they are getting better...not hard when you are starting at the bottom.

I think there are some people buying PGX slabbed books because they tend to sell at a discount compared to CGC books and then cracked them for "other" reasons.

saying CGC and PGX offer the same services is like saying Mack and Hyundai both make vehicles.

PGX books will almost always net you less money than an equivalently-graded CGC slab when you sell. The chance of this happening increases exponentially as the book moves closer to the start of the GA. They have a documented history of allowing a known scam artist to pass off restored books as unrestored. They have a well-earned history at being terrible restoration detectors. They can be very hit-and-miss with their grading in the middle range, with the emphasis on miss.

If they are your OO books and you want them slabbed then you are welcome to use PGX but I think you would have trouble finding more than a handful here who would recommend this practise

OK you got my curiosity, is there something I don't know about PGX that I should?(lol)

Colugo

oh no...lets not go there. If you do a search on PGX, there are plenty of discussions about what is wrong with PGX. Nonetheless, I think they are getting better...not hard when you are starting at the bottom.

I think there are some people buying PGX slabbed books because they tend to sell at a discount compared to CGC books and then cracked them for "other" reasons.

Is there a thread specifically on PGX you can direct me to?

Thanks,

Colugo

oh no...lets not go there. If you do a search on PGX, there are plenty of discussions about what is wrong with PGX.

Is there a thread specifically on PGX you can direct me to?

Thanks,

Colugo

I'm done doing searches for noobies.

Not exactly a "noobie" been around the block for some time. Used to be a member a while back with older account. I asked because when I searched for PGX after typing it into the search field results came up 0. results:

There are no results for your query. Please try a broader range of search criteria.

Also tried different search criterias but to no avail.

Colugo

Not exactly a "noobie" been around the block for some time. Used to be a member a while back with older account. I asked because when I searched for PGX after typing it into the search field results came up 0. results:

There are no results for your query. Please try a broader range of search criteria.

Also tried different search criterias but to no avail.

Colugo

Ignore me today; I'm cranky.

Try googling for your answer. The search function here is ...ummm...

Just a Fanboy link.