• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to make a bound volume?

37 posts in this topic

I want to make some bound volumes of a certain run of comics. Yes I realise this will destroy them, that's fine :grin: These are common modern comics that can be obtained dirt cheap in VF/NM.

The idea is to make an easily accessible reading set that contains every issue including covers, ad pages etc. Better than TPBs!

Ideally I'd like to achieve a fairly smart looking end result. I've had a look around for ready made binders without much success. I also found an article on how to do 'Coptic Binding' which looks promising if I can just make sense of the threading instructions!

Does anyone have any experience of making bound volumes? Got any suggestions or tips? Thanks!

Yep, loads of experience here. I'm slowly binding my entire collection of Superman comics in chronological order. Close to 40 volumes so far. I use capital bindery through David Banks (http://www.singleboundstudios.com/), runs around $50-$60 a volume. You won't be disappointed. For cheaper volumes, people use Library Binding Company, (http://www.librarybinding.com/) and this will set you back around $20 (more for each bell and whistle you want). But you should really check out this link for the guys who do it all:

Binding Forum

Good luck!

I looked on the library binding website and they didn't have prices for comics listed. I'm looking to get a 7 issue series done (1 issue is doublesized) and then a 27 issue series done. Any idea what i'm looking at price wise?

I believe the base price is like $15, and you pay for shipping both ways. And there might be a minimum order. Then there is an additional fee if you want head/tail bands, a die made/used, a bookmark, head/tail lines, etc. There is discussion about library at that binding forum I posted, you can just search there, as many people use them regularly.

hm

I've wondered about bound volumes myself!

I love to get 1, or 2 done of the odd-ball stuff where no TPBs are available. :cloud9: (ie: Ka-Zar, Human Fly, etc)

What kind of lower/mid-grade comic condition can be acceptable when considering a binding?

Page quality? They must 'trim' the books to some degree during the process, yes?

Who has pics? Examples of the bells-and-whistles?

I'm actually working on a feature on how to do this for my website. I'll try to have it done by the end of the week for those that are interested.

I got a few books bound last month and it was a painless and fun experience. If you're interested in doing this, contact Library Binding.

Here's their URL

http://www.librarybinding.com/

Yep, loads of experience here. I'm slowly binding my entire collection of Superman comics in chronological order. Close to 40 volumes so far. I use capital bindery through David Banks (http://www.singleboundstudios.com/), runs around $50-$60 a volume. You won't be disappointed. For cheaper volumes, people use Library Binding Company, (http://www.librarybinding.com/) and this will set you back around $20 (more for each bell and whistle you want). But you should really check out this link for the guys who do it all:

Binding Forum

Good luck!

Perfect! Thank you! Looks like tons of useful information on that site. I never would have guessed there was a forum devoted to the subject. I'll have a good look later, but I've already seen a thread on UK binderys, so I'm sure I'll find what I need there.

This sort of thing right here:

100_2602.jpg

100_2603.jpg

Superb. I can't wait to get mine done. The plan (in case it wasn't obvious) is to collect all of Hellblazer into several large volumes :cloud9:

Here are a few of mine. Here's an old pic of my collection (the hardcovers now extend down to the next shelf...)

shelf1.jpg

Here's a custom collection I made. For the "bells and whistles", you can see the bookmark, the head and tail lines (on the spine), and the head and tail bands (the red/yellow things at the bottom of the open book).

bond_jun07_1.jpg

Here are a few of mine. Here's an old pic of my collection (the hardcovers now extend down to the next shelf...)

shelf1.jpg

Those look seriously smart!

Can I ask a couple of simple questions out of curiosity: How many issues do you get in to each volume? What's the max page count?

Where does your Superman set begin? I'm guessing you haven't bound the earliest issues!

Thanks again for sharing. I now know exactly what I want for my Hellblazer reading set :)

I think the issues range from around 22 in a volume to around 38. I take the number of issues in each year, and then divide that up into 1-5 volumes, depending upon how many were made that year. Most people get the edges of the books trimmed (it's standard, but you can find places that don't trim - but it makes those old copies look so much better! :)

I currently have around 1977-1996 bound. I plan to do the whole series, but for the old stuff I will either rebind the Archives series, the Chronicles series, or whatever DC's new plan is (they should announce it in a few more months...). I also have a custom die stamped on the cover that reads "The complete Superman archives"). On the spine, it either says "Superman", "Superboy", "Steel," "Justice League," etc.

You may be able to go thru your local library, like I did. They have to periodically (no pun intended) send off bundles of magazines to be bound; maybe they will be willing to include your comics in with the mix. Make sure you're clear on your instructions, though (whether or not to trim edges, make sure issues are in order, color of cover & lettering on spine, etc.)

My general impression (only having used Capitol), is that if you want a cheap, basic book, to go with Library. If you want more bells and whistles, go with Capitol.

For around $60, I get a bookmark, the bands, the lines, stamping, etc. Capitol seems to be less automated, and more concerned about perfecting your book. They round the spine, check to make sure pages don't need extra reinforcement, and are more involved in making sure everything is accurate. Oh, and they do something different with the cover - I think they cut it to size before they stamp the title. With Library, because they stamp first, and then cut the cover, I have seen many collections where the titles/lines don't quite line up with each other (off by 1/4" or so).

This help?

My general impression (only having used Capitol), is that if you want a cheap, basic book, to go with Library. If you want more bells and whistles, go with Capitol.

For around $60, I get a bookmark, the bands, the lines, stamping, etc. Capitol seems to be less automated, and more concerned about perfecting your book. They round the spine, check to make sure pages don't need extra reinforcement, and are more involved in making sure everything is accurate. Oh, and they do something different with the cover - I think they cut it to size before they stamp the title. With Library, because they stamp first, and then cut the cover, I have seen many collections where the titles/lines don't quite line up with each other (off by 1/4" or so).

This help?

thanks

was getting ready to send some books off to get bounded and low and behold i'm missing the last issue of the run. I know I have multiple copies but have torn the house inside out and to no avail lol guess it's off to the LCS tomorrow.