• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAN EXPO CANADA returns AUG 22-24, 2008 - Canada's biggest comic event

179 posts in this topic

As I was running around I can't say I purchased much. I didn't get a copy of Jeff Lemire's The Country Nurse as I was hoping. I did get Playboy artist Doug Sneyd's book of unpublished drawings and sketches. I did buy some original artwork as well including:

- Wildcat boxing match double splash from Justice Society of America 9 by Dale Eaglesham and Ruy Jose

- X-O Manowar pinup by Bob Layton

- Black Canary commission from Cliff Chiang

- Green Lantern Corps 26 page 1 splash by Patrick Gleason and Drew Geraci

- Captain America/Batman one-shot page 46 featuring the Joker by John Byrne

...and that's it. I really wanted a Bolland Black Canary sketch but that didn't happen.

Very happy with all pieces, especially the Chiang piece and the Eaglesham double-splash. I've had my eye on that for some time now, and as soon as I saw that they had brought it to the show I had to pick it up. I'll be scanning them tonight and adding them to my Comic Art Fans gallery.

Wusses. Where are the Kristi Swanson - Renee O'Connor pics? :sumo:

Oh, there will be a few Kristy Swanson pics. One with me! :D

For $10, I just HAD to have one with her.

Can we just see the Kristy Swanson pictures. I know what you look like. :baiting:

I didn't see her at the show...does she look ANYTHING like this anymore? :wishluck:

kristy-swanson-picture-1.jpg

As I was running around I can't say I purchased much. I didn't get a copy of Jeff Lemire's The Country Nurse as I was hoping. I did get Playboy artist Doug Sneyd's book of unpublished drawings and sketches. I did buy some original artwork as well including:

- Black Canary commission from Cliff Chiang

Thank Chiang piece is amazing...he has the images posted on his blog. Congrats.

...and that's it. I really wanted a Bolland Black Canary sketch but that didn't happen.

:sorry:

Hope you had a little fun in between all the working you were doing?

C

Wusses. Where are the Kristi Swanson - Renee O'Connor pics? :sumo:

Oh, there will be a few Kristy Swanson pics. One with me! :D

For $10, I just HAD to have one with her.

Can we just see the Kristy Swanson pictures. I know what you look like. :baiting:

I didn't see her at the show...does she look ANYTHING like this anymore? :wishluck:

kristy-swanson-picture-1.jpg

:luhv:

I have so very little to report. This show I had stuff to do the entire time, so I spent a total of 2 hours on the con floor walking the aisles. I wanted to use that time to speak with the retailers and creators I know, and I was lucky to have people bring their art and sketches by for me to see.

I had great chats with Jeff Lemire, Darwyn Cooke, Cameron Stewart, Francis Manapul, Agnes Garbowska. While I'm sure there were a lot of boardies at the con, the only guy I met was boardie known-him-online-forever-but-never-met Chris Caira. On Saturday there was the Canadian Comics panel with Yanick Paquette, Katheryn and Stuart Immonen, Jeff Lemire and James Whaley, had a wonderful time talking with them. Saturday night was dinner with drinks with Kev, Tiz and others. Some after party action with the con guests; I've learned I'm getting too old for 3am.

My buys:

Jeff Lemire's Essex County 3: The Country Nurse, as well as the two Essex County mini-comics. The Essex County trilogy would be the best books of the past year+ and it's works like this keeping me in the hobby.

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Squad 4, 5, 6.

Blood+ 3

It was nice to meet you too.

I wish I could have walked the con a little too. My report is going to sound like a tales from the trenches/from behind the booth. I think the only time I walked the floor was before and after closing. It was pretty crazy the entire time....then I got talked into Emcee-ing that panel with no preparation. :o Lotta fun. :sick:

C

Dont you have a law firm to run.. what were you doing in Canada :baiting:

hahaha, i barely recognized her when i walked by her area. my day consisted of line ups i think, 2 1/2 hours to get in and the i walked the isles for 15 minuts and right into a 2 hour line for brian bolland. he signed my book and i got a pic with him, really nice guy. he thanked me for my support for buying his art book and then said he was honoured i have his work tattooed on me. every think i had heard about adam hughes was wrong, super nice guy and we spoke for a while. finally meeting tim sale was the capper of a good time.

I just finished a sig/sketch report.

Nice pickups Kevin!

Let me also add that I too am exhausted and that I also barely walked the aisles at all. I didn't even get a real chance to buy anything either!

The show was FANTASTIC...

Picked up a rare Canadian White Grail for my collection

TRIUMPH COMICS # 15

TRIUMPHCOMICS15.jpg

Also picked up a real cool War comics with a five cent cover price in really nice condition:

WAR VICTORY COMICS # 1

WARVICTORYCOMICS.jpg

hahaha, i barely recognized her when i walked by her area. my day consisted of line ups i think, 2 1/2 hours to get in and the i walked the isles for 15 minuts and right into a 2 hour line for brian bolland. he signed my book and i got a pic with him, really nice guy. he thanked me for my support for buying his art book and then said he was honoured i have his work tattooed on me. every think i had heard about adam hughes was wrong, super nice guy and we spoke for a while. finally meeting tim sale was the capper of a good time.

I picked up some early Marvel Silver and early Marvel bronze that made me feel it was a successful day.

But I, too, spent 2 1/2 hours in the ticket line only to see, revealed behind curtains at the end of the huge line, only 5 ticket booths. Next time I buy my tickets on line. The preparation for the ticket line was far less than professional -- very Mickey Mouse (and not the Four Color kind).