• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Amazing Spider-man #50 a sought after book?

Spidey #50 popularity reasons  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Spidey #50 popularity reasons

37 posts in this topic

This tops my list of where I swim against the stream. Its an interesting cover but hardly the best cover ever or even the best Spidey or even the best Romita cover. The story line of Spidey quitting is about as key as the first time Aunty May almost died.

Kingpins pretty cool but is he really the ultimate super baddie. He ranks maybe 6th best Spidey villain. I'll grant his crossover appeal but Daredevil is not exactly a Tier 1 superhero.

Give me an ASM 39 or 69 any day for classic Romita.

I don't necessarily disagree with you... you have a cool cover, combined with a cool story, a cool villain's first appearance, and the combined talents of Lee and Romita Sr. Lee and JRSR aside, none of these is necessarily enough to put it over the top... but I see this issue as something of a "perfect storm" where all of these combine together to create a fantastic comic.

This tops my list of where I swim against the stream. Its an interesting cover but hardly the best cover ever or even the best Spidey or even the best Romita cover. The story line of Spidey quitting is about as key as the first time Aunty May almost died.

Kingpins pretty cool but is he really the ultimate super baddie. He ranks maybe 6th best Spidey villain. I'll grant his crossover appeal but Daredevil is not exactly a Tier 1 superhero.

Give me an ASM 39 or 69 any day for classic Romita.

I'd add #44,#48, #59, & #62 also!!!

First appearance of Kinpin and the cover. But mostly the Kingpin. Pretty major villain.

Yep, without the first Kingpin appearance, the issue would be an also-ran. Before it was broken out as a first-app., it was not in high demand and was a common.

There are a LOT of great covers out there that do not sell at a premium.

From a self confessed Spidy phob...actually the real ones are fine by me, this cover is an automatic standout.

How did it fare in the SA cover comp...it had to be in the top 3, easily (shrug)

Actually I'd be hard pressed to think of a cover over SS #4 that would beat this book to the no.2 spot.

....I'm talking cover appeal as no one has voted for the story so far... :sorry:

No one voted just for the story.

Dan

this cover never moved me. maybe its cause i'm a ditko freak. still haven't read the story but i expect to pick up a copy sometime in the next year. i just don't care for romita that much -wish sturdy steve stuck around as long as kirby!

Romita's cover is nice but not his best.Personally,I'd go with the story.I had my 10 year old son (who hates reading) start reading it before dinner and he couldn't wait to finish it.As far as collectors appeal it has to be the Kingpin's appearance.

Issues 50 and 100 have always been treated as half-anniversay and anniversary issues and therefore merit special covers/stories (hopefully/presumably)...to a lesser degree, issues 25 and 75 try to do the same...in the case of ASM not so much 25 although it could be argued the cover/story attempted to be a bit above the norm...but witness issue 75...the cover is pretty classic...

ASM 50 is considered signatory and classic for the above reasons, and JR attempted to pull this off by the predominantly red cover and almost abstract/symbolic artwork (post this on a vertical wall display with 20 other books and your eye will be drawn to this cover...now imagine it staring at you on the wheel-rack in the summer of 67!)...however, as expressed by a few others, I find it a bit half-hearted attempt...you never know necessarily the history behind the deadline...as an artist myself, I look upon this cover as a first or 2nd draft, almost a study and not the finished product...

The other aspects, story, new villian/characters, can only enhance and raise up an issue to the "Must-Have" status...this is certainly the case with this issue in spite of my personal attitude toward the cover art...

My copy...

SPIDERMAN50CGC90.jpg

I agree with most people that this book is kind of a "semi-key", but it really has no "great" impact in the comic world as a whole.

The Kingpin is really not as big some think he is.............I mean, he's not on the same par as Doc Ock or The Green Goblin(or even The Lizard).

Granted, this is my opinion, but these are a few of the facts as to why I have always felt that this is over-priced by collectors.

Look at the price of this book in the higher grades and compare it to other titles that warrant the same price in the same grade. It just doesn't stack up to me.

none of the above ....

it's cool as it's a July 1967 issue that's my birth year and month...

I'll buy that (thumbs u

I think it's Marvel Feature #4 for me... which funnily enough I have tried to convince a few girls I have a marvelous feature worth 'sharing' :devil: