• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This guy is backing out of a deal....and I'm not pleased.

18 posts in this topic

So, let's take it from the top; back from the very beginning.

Motor City comics listed a Blue Ribbon Comics #10 in January of 2003 for sale, for a $160 "Buy it now". I went heavy after another book, so I didn't go after it. I save all MLJ related EBAY completed auctions, and here's the original book:

ORIGINAL AUCTION, COMPLETE WITH PICTURES

So, several months pass, and I notice another Blue Ribbon #10 up on EBAY (I hadn't realized it was the same book as this one was CGC graded)

Blue Ribbon #10, NEW AUCTION

During the auction, I asked the seller a question about the book:

Question from: archiecomics4me

Title of item: CGC Blue Ribbon #10 FN-5.5 2nd Mr.Justice NR

Seller: jackaclubs

Starts: Oct-03-03 11:27:25 PDT

Ends: Oct-10-03 11:27:25 PDT

Price: Starts at $200.00

To view the item, go to: ]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2195129176

That was the best my scanner could do.small soiling on

Back cover--Jack

Of course that was ridiculous, but after I researched my own saved items I realized that book, even though it had extensive work, was still a good deal.

So I sent the following (Again, my comments in blue, his are in red). The book was listed for $200 and didn't have any bidders:

To:

Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 2:37 PM

Subject: Question from eBay Member

To member: jackaclubs

From member: archiecomics4me

--------------------

Since this has extensive amateur restoration, I'll offer you $125

For the book plus shipping. Let me know...

Shawn

His reply:

> -----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 4:28 PM

To: shawn@goldcomics.com

Subject: Re: Question from eBay Member

Shawn:Sounds good to me.$125.00

P&H 7.00

---------------------------------------

$132.00

Thanks,Jack John

So, I sent out a money order out early this week, and received this in from him this morning:

Shawn:I got an E-mail from you stating you wanted

Archie # 20.I paid over $200.00 for Blue Ribbon #10

and i won't give it away.I'll send your money order back.

You know there was a Reserve on it.

JACK

So I replied with the following:

I’m not sure I understand where you thought I was talking about an Archie #20…; I specifically asked you about the Blue Ribbon #10. Why would I pay you $125 + shipping for a Archie #20 that didn’t sell for $50? Please see the following:

During the auction, I asked you the following:

Title of item: CGC Blue Ribbon #10 FN-5.5 2nd Mr.Justice NR

Seller: jackaclubs

Starts: Oct-03-03 11:27:25 PDT

Ends: Oct-10-03 11:27:25 PDT

Price: Starts at $200.00

To view the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2195129176

That was the best my scanner could do.small soiling on

Back cover--Jack

2. Right after the auction ended with no bidders for $200 (not sure what you mean by reserve, it didn’t have a reserve, it just didn’t have any bidders at $200), I sent you the following:

“From:

To:

Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 2:37 PM

Subject: Question from eBay Member

To member: jackaclubs

From member: archiecomics4me

--------------------

Since this has extensive amateur restoration, I'll offer you $125

For the book plus shipping. Let me know...

Shawn”

TO WHICH YOU REPLIED:

> -----Original Message-----

> From: john c.mcgonigle [mailto:jcm@zoominternet.net]

> Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 4:28 PM

> To: shawn@goldcomics.com

> Subject: Re: Question from eBay Member

>

> Shawn:Sounds good to me.$125.00

> P&H 7.00

> ---------------------------------------

> $132.00

> Thanks,Jack John

Again, the Archie #20 was a $50 book with no restoration. I checked your books you were selling, and Archie #20, Blue Ribbon #10, and Top-Notch #10 were the only 3 MLJ/Archie books you had for sale.

Top-Notch #10 was $400 (no bidders)

Blue Ribbon #10 was $200 (no bidders)

Archie #20 was $50 (no bidders)

Please show me how you came to this conclusion; this certainly appears that you are simply backing out of a deal.

Thanks,

Shawn

PO'd, I sent this email after that one:

John, I'm a bit incredulous about this; please see my other email. I would love for you to forward any email concerning my questions / deal with a $50 Archie #20, of which I've owned several copies and certainly wouldn't have given $125 for.

Also, you paid $160 for the Blue Ribbon #10, not $200. I save all MLJ completed EBAY Auctions. Please see this:

http://mlj.goldcomics.com:1940/MLJ/Ebay_Completed/BlueRibbon/010-03.htm

What's going on here friend?

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

NOTE: EBAY SELLER ID IS: jackaclubs

Man, those Golden Age sellers can sure be shady... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif either that or their age brings them into the point in their lives where they are most suceptible to senility or dementia...I'm surprised that they even know how to work a computer, much less send an email (ageism tribute to my favorite fogie, povertyrow!)

Just kidding Shield...I'm sorry about you missing out on a wanted book...I hope he takes his meds and figures out the deal!

One thing I noticed as an ebay seller is that if you hit the 'ask seller a question' button on the auction page of a listing that's ended, the title of the book does not appear on your emailed question to the seller. You need to actually reference the book in the body of your question to the seller, otherwise he may not know which ended auction you're asking about.

And if you sent the email while the auction was still running.....nevermind.

Update....I sent him a 3rd email

The more I think about it, it's apparent you're simply backing out of the deal as there's no other alternative way of logic around this. That's fine, however I would hope you would at least get a new money order and send back to me as I have NO WAY to cash the one I filled out with your name on it. Also, we will not continue to do business in the future.

Thanks again, and please let me know once you've sent me my refund with a way for me to actually get to have my money back.

Best,

Shawn

To which he replied:

Shawn:I had 2 #10's And my reputation is above board

and I won't sell anymore comics on E-Bay. I'm getting

rid all of them to a dealer..Just take your Money Order

back to where you got it,they wil cash it.I sent it 2 hours

ago.

Good Bye,Jack

TO WHICH I replied:

You'll hear from me if they don't accept it. Can you address any of my points below? I'm scratching my head wondering

1. What did you think you were selling me for $125? Please don't insult me and say your Archie #20.

2. How I did anything wrong whatsoever, and:

3. Why I'm sensing hostility from you.

Please show me where I have errored in this manner so I can better understand this in the future. I already realize I'm not getting either of your Blue Ribbon #10's (as we negotiated earlier) so I would like a simple explanation if you don't mind.

I'll be waiting to hear back, and thanks.

Shawn

Has anyone had a filled-out money order returned? Any trouble cashing it?

If you still have your receipt from the purchase of the money order you won't have any problem at all... If you don't, it depends on the issuer.

If it's a postal money order, it seems like they never check who it's made out to... I have five different business names and I have presented money orders as payment for postage several times where the incoming and outgoing names didn't match and they didn't care... So much for "security"...

It seems a pretty clear cut backout of a deal to me, with the guy returning a completed money order with little regard to my refund for reimbursement. I'm sure he hated my catching his "lie" about what he paid for the book.

Why are people the way the are. WHAT a crappy last 24 hours I've had...A 16 year old girl backed into my Lexus GS 300 last night and did about $1000 worth of damage (I had just parked and watched her do it..), the Red Sox lost and now no BR #10... foreheadslap.gif

It's obvious what happened... he didn't read his email very clearly and saw this line:

And assumed it was about the Archie comic he was selling.

At least that's how it looks to me. When you get hundreds of emails a day, you tend to skim your emails and not really read them.... smirk.gif

Why would someone offer up $125 for an auction that ended for $50 with no bidders? Especially if I said "Since this book has extensive amateur restoration" as the opener?

Well, he probably assumed you were an insufficiently_thoughtful_person/fanatic who was willing to pay more. A lot of people come late to an auction, see that it had no bids, and email the seller about it. Happens all the time.

That's how I came into possession of my Green River books.

I had bought a few books from the seller in the past, haggling to the fullest extend. Again, what about the "restoration" remark...?

I realize that. I'm just saying that he may not have been paying full attention to your eBay question or read your question fully. These days, I have so much going on I can barely remember what I had for lunch. (Actually, it turns out I haven't eaten at all today... frown.gif )

I've replied to emails after a perfunctory skim only to realize that I had misread it later... or I've been asked a series of questions and only responded to the first question, etc. Sometimes I'm replying to an email and I get interrupted by someone in the office so my mind may not be fully there... Most likely, I'll send the email and help the person asking the question.

I'm just saying your name "Archiesforme" could have been mistaken for interest in the Archie book.

(By my count, I've received well over 300 emails today... and I've probably responded to over 50 emails.)

Just my opinion. I've been screwed over on eBay in the past (more than twice unfortunately).. but this excuse seems plausible.

On the money order thing...

You should have no problems.

Just take the receipt with you.

You won't get your $0.79 (or what ever) back though... smirk.gif

Update....I sent him a 3rd email

The more I think about it, it's apparent you're simply backing out of the deal as there's no other alternative way of logic around this. That's fine, however I would hope you would at least get a new money order and send back to me as I have NO WAY to cash the one I filled out with your name on it. Also, we will not continue to do business in the future.

Thanks again, and please let me know once you've sent me my refund with a way for me to actually get to have my money back.

Best,

Shawn

To which he replied:

Shawn:I had 2 #10's And my reputation is above board

and I won't sell anymore comics on E-Bay. I'm getting

rid all of them to a dealer..Just take your Money Order

back to where you got it,they wil cash it.I sent it 2 hours

ago.

Good Bye,Jack

TO WHICH I replied:

You'll hear from me if they don't accept it. Can you address any of my points below? I'm scratching my head wondering

1. What did you think you were selling me for $125? Please don't insult me and say your Archie #20.

2. How I did anything wrong whatsoever, and:

3. Why I'm sensing hostility from you.

Please show me where I have errored in this manner so I can better understand this in the future. I already realize I'm not getting either of your Blue Ribbon #10's (as we negotiated earlier) so I would like a simple explanation if you don't mind.

I'll be waiting to hear back, and thanks.

Shawn

Has anyone had a filled-out money order returned? Any trouble cashing it?

Shield.

You can always get your money back from a money order.

Just deposit it back in your bank acct. if it was from a bank.

If from another institution just provide the receipt

If it's a postal money order, it seems like they never check who it's made out to... I have five different business names and I have presented money orders as payment for postage several times where the incoming and outgoing names didn't match and they didn't care... So much for "security"...

You are "shadier than a forest", 'house 893naughty-thumb.gif

If you still have your receipt from the purchase of the money order you won't have any problem at all... If you don't, it depends on the issuer.

They always check for id at the post office where I cash my postal money orders.