• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.4 My *spoon*

40 posts in this topic

Is that a joke ? I mean honestly if you are part of the PGX scam and you try to sell this book with a 9.4 at the top of the label wouldnt you make the scan as small as possible to try and hide the defects ? Any blind man can see the book is severely over graded.

Is that a joke ? I mean honestly if you are part of the PGX scam and you try to sell this book with a 9.4 at the top of the label wouldnt you make the scan as small as possible to try and hide the defects ? Any blind man can see the book is severely over graded.

If you're part of the scam and trying to sell that book,

you'd just need to hide your (the seller's) identity by

using a privacy-protecting intermediary... like ComicLink.

:(

Since ethics and morals seem to no longer apply in comic collecting, the least the seller should've done is make the scans smaller. I mean, he's leaving money on the table by magnifying those defects with that large scan.

It is after all, a 9.4. :gossip:

As bad as PGX is as a company, I can't think of this being graded like this with a straight face. This smells like a bait and switch by the owner. I mean, we can just throw out anything on a chat website, can't we?

Years ago, I sent some books to CGG. I rarely got a book back above 8.5. I was shocked by the grades, but I thought that I just overgraded them. Since then I have seen many PGX graded books that look way overgraded. I think they have two sets of grading standards. One for themselves and one for everyone else.

It's funny that you mentioned "bait and switch," Sterling. As I was snowed-in last night, I cracked several PGX slabs. The posts on these slabs do not evidence that they have cracked the same way that CGC's do, and seemed to be much easier to do something untoward with, ie inner well swapout. I don't think I could do it, but from the wizardry I've seen others do around here, it would be possible.

Let nik submit it. :gossip:

:makepoint:

You lost the bet, get over it Doc :frustrated:

I don't have anything to get over. I was just having fun.

Has everybody around here gone :censored: nuts? Is this like message board PMS or something? (shrug)

Has everybody around here gone :censored: nuts? Is this like message board PMS or something? (shrug)

Just fuggin tired of hearing the mythical Nik bump BS :foryou:

Just fuggin tired of hearing the mythical Nik bump BS :foryou:

If it were me I would start a service and charge for me to send in books. It would be paying to increase your luck.

is it possible that the book was switched out of the slab? No other way to explain grading that book as a 9.4.

The only other explanation I can think of, is if someone sent 2 of the same book and they screwed up by putting the wrong labels with the books. See my personal experience below:

Not really a VG, is it?

GIC87PGX4.jpg

Quite a bit better than a 1.5?

GIC87PGX1.jpg

I could've done what the seller of this "9.4" is doing and tried to get a half decent price for my PGX 4.0, but I think I did the right thing by sending both books back for re-labeling.

Andy

is it possible that the book was switched out of the slab? No other way to explain grading that book as a 9.4.

The only other explanation I can think of, is if someone sent 2 of the same book and they screwed up by putting the wrong labels with the books. See my personal experience below:

Not really a VG, is it?

GIC87PGX4.jpg

GIC87PGX1.jpg

I could've done what the seller of this "9.4" is doing and tried to get a half decent price for my PGX 4.0, but I think I did the right thing by sending both books back for re-labeling.

Andy

Well, are they a "professional" grading company or not?

Not really a VG, is it?

GIC87PGX4.jpg

GIC87PGX1.jpg

Andy

Well, are they a "professional" grading company or not?

IMHO, no. (tsk)

Andy

Wow!!!

This PGX comic is a NM 9.4???

You guys beat me to this -

1) the overhang

2) THE TOP STAPLE

3) creases that BREAK COLOR in the upper right corner...

and I did not really look at the bottom

and there was no back cover scan

Yes it is a nice comic but NM 9.4 I think not.

If someone put the gun to me head and said grade this comic Cal or ....

I would risk my life on a F 7.5 tops.

This is the equivalent of TWO FULL POINTS/GRADES.

I have no ill will against PGX and I have aTON of goodwill for CGC and I deal with literally HUNDREDS of comics per week and I never seen CGC miss one by this wide a margin.

I know I got cranky a few times with CGC but that crankieness was between VF/NM 9.0 - NM 9.4. I would call for grading notes and once in a while Mr. Borock would give them to me and he had me feeling much better after he explained a few things to me. I would not bet on the same results if I talked to whoever runs PGX, I think it is Daniel Patterson or something close to that???

This is a definite "black eye" on PGX and the guys/gals here are really sharp and superior graders IMO...

CAL still learning about grading...