• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fishy Finish to Fantastic Four #Five auction

9 posts in this topic

or not..... ?

Bid history

Winner has a feedback of one but has been on eBay for over 5 years...

friendboy history

He won a single auction, over 3 years ago...guess who the seller was ?

Yep the same guy that's selling the Ff#5.

I'm happy to see that the other bidder somehow got wise to this, and stopped in the middle of the bidding-war.

Am I seeing ghosts here ? I would love to be wrong, seller is nearing a feedback of 1000, and I was always under the impression that these 'established' sellers were above these practices. confused-smiley-013.gif

My ebay experience is fairly limited (approx 60 auctions won) but being that reserve wasnt met wouldnt that be a bit odd of a strategy for a shill bid ??

BTW: Belgium beer is friggin awesome. Spent last summer solstice in Mons partaking of the local beer. I pissed my traveling/work companion off by stating that I thought the belgium beers were heads and tails above german beers (with the exception of a Heffe Weizen from Schwezingen (sp?) wjich I hold dear to my liver.

Also, "Token Foreigner", haven't you noticed all the canucks stinking up this place!!! stooges.gif

My ebay experience is fairly limited (approx 60 auctions won) but being that reserve wasnt met wouldnt that be a bit odd of a strategy for a shill bid ??

It is od, I agree, but maybe he was hoping that the other parties would break the reserve and then he could shill some more...The 'suspect' bidder is driving up the bid price on a regular basis though

BTW: Belgium beer is friggin awesome. Spent last summer solstice in Mons partaking of the local beer. I pissed my traveling/work companion off by stating that I thought the belgium beers were heads and tails above german beers (with the exception of a Heffe Weizen from Schwezingen (sp?) wjich I hold dear to my liver.

Please ad this as your sig to EVERY SINGLE POST you make from now on insane.gif

I like you....you are my friend flowerred.gif

Actually I have never met any beerdrinker that didn't go gaga for our beer, over 700 different ones mind you, our chocolate is even better thumbsup2.gif

Next time you visit us, remind and I'll send you a must-drink-list of Belgian beer

Also, "Token Foreigner", haven't you noticed all the canucks stinking up this place!!! stooges.gif

Well as I was the first non-English speaker (and first non-North American) on these boards I hold the title close to my heart. Besides isn't Canada secretly a US state ? 893whatthe.gif

Well as I was the first non-English speaker (and first non-North American) on these boards I hold the title close to me heart. Besides isn't Canada secretly a US state ? 893whatthe.gif

Close enough. We offered them full statehood on the condition they take Shatner and Celine Dion back. The Canadians declined. They said something about potsmoking homosexuals being preferable to Celine Dion. I'm inclined to agree.

"Am I seeing ghosts here ? I would love to be wrong, seller is nearing a feedback of 1000, and I was always under the impression that these 'established' sellers were above these practices".

First off, there are no rules in knife fights. The main difference between an established seller and a seller with little feedback is that in all probability you will receive something in the mail. Furthermore, the book received will look more like the scan and will be graded within 1.0 (CGC difference) from the grade posted.

Regarding shills:

1)An estabished seller should have a better class of shill. He has had more time to hone his shilling and has far greater knowledge of how to fool the buyer. Shill sellers are broken down into the following classifications:

a)CS- creative shill

b)DS-Dumb shill

c)DCS-Doesn't care shill

a)A creative shill has bought books from a number of sellers and has a reliable feedback. He looks like an established E-Bayer. He rarely buys from the same seller more than once or twice. You can spot these characters since no one at conventions know what they look like.

b)dumb shill-The dumb shill has bid on books from a few sellers but only seems to win books from one seller. You can spot the dumb shill based on his feedback.

Something like, "OK transaction".

c)Doesn't care shill-THese guys make no pretenses in trying to play the game. They simply are looking for bidding activity. They don't care if you know that it's a shill bid. You can spot these guys by checking the bid history. They might be the only bidder and spend a week topping their own bids time after time. Sometimes they will have a bidding war between two shills.

These sellers are simply hoping to attract the buyer who wants to teach the seller a lesson and can outbid two shills and win the book. What should we call those buyers? Stay tuned -More to follow.

maybe he was inspired by L. Ron Hubbard? 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif from his about me page: Another big change for me was getting involved in Dianetics. It makes the able more able. L. Ron Hubbard wrote tons of scifi, and so I collect a lot of his old pulp fiction from the '40s and reprint paperbacks. foreheadslap.gif