• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurry! Buy! The Foreigners Are Coming!

90 posts in this topic

9 out of 10 political analysts agree that foreigners are amassed just beyond our borders.

Not as much agreement on why they are there, though.

We're surrounded! :)

:gossip: and I think some of them might be us...., :o

9 out of 10 political analysts agree that foreigners are amassed just beyond our borders.

Not as much agreement on why they are there, though.

We're surrounded! :)

:gossip: and I think some of them might be us...., :o

That's just crazy talk :whistle:

From the most recent gospel of Chuck, his revelations are shockingly honest:

In our Mile High Comics staff meetings, I equate the current situation at most comics conventions with being able to walk up to the parking lot at the show, and finding that it is covered in $5 bills. All that I need to do in order to make money is to pick up those $5 bills as fast as I can!

Of course, when I envision this scene in my mind, there are a bunch of little old ladies trying to pick up the $5 bills as well... :devil:

And Chuck would gladly take the $5 bills, price them for $20 on his website, promote that he is having a 60% off sale on these great old issues, and then sell them to you for $8 each, which is still 60% more than they are worth...

I have looked at Silver Age books at Mile High before that are in VF condition and listed at 3X guide, but "on sale" for 60% off. The funny part is that sometimes you can go to their E-Bay pages and pick up the same book for below guide. So if you use the MH site, you just get ripped off...

For example, back before Christmas I was looking for a Tales of Suspense #75. Mile High had one "on sale" for $78 in VF (guides at $40), with a regular price of $130. I ended up buying it from Mile High's E-Bay store, where it was listed for $33.60 with $.99 shipping. I have found this to be the case numerous times and have bought a lot from MH's E-Bay store, but nothing from their website. My last purchase from their E-Bay store was $121. If I had bought the books through their website, the total was around $275.

jeez, at most we're talking about a few high end books that may leave that the U.S. consumer may "miss", everything else, well, there's PLENTY to go around. yup, those "rare" pre-1980 issues! heck, even those beloved Barks Ducks those vikings love oh so much, it's not like any of them, except maybe a couple of early ones, are even hard to find, just hard to find in high grade.

It would be GREAT if some of the overstock went abroad! But, unfortunately, I really don't see enough euros reading or collecting this stuff to make a dent. Particularly with american culture being out of favor at the moment.

And Chuck would gladly take the $5 bills, price them for $20 on his website, promote that he is having a 60% off sale on these great old issues, and then sell them to you for $8 each, which is still 60% more than they are worth...

I have looked at Silver Age books at Mile High before that are in VF condition and listed at 3X guide, but "on sale" for 60% off. The funny part is that sometimes you can go to their E-Bay pages and pick up the same book for below guide. So if you use the MH site, you just get ripped off...

For example, back before Christmas I was looking for a Tales of Suspense #75. Mile High had one "on sale" for $78 in VF (guides at $40), with a regular price of $130. I ended up buying it from Mile High's E-Bay store, where it was listed for $33.60 with $.99 shipping. I have found this to be the case numerous times and have bought a lot from MH's E-Bay store, but nothing from their website. My last purchase from their E-Bay store was $121. If I had bought the books through their website, the total was around $275.

But was it actually a VF copy?

jeez, at most we're talking about a few high end books that may leave that the U.S. consumer may "miss", everything else, well, there's PLENTY to go around. yup, those "rare" pre-1980 issues! heck, even those beloved Barks Ducks those vikings love oh so much, it's not like any of them, except maybe a couple of early ones, are even hard to find, just hard to find in high grade.

It would be GREAT if some of the overstock went abroad! But, unfortunately, I really don't see enough euros reading or collecting this stuff to make a dent. Particularly with american culture being out of favor at the moment.

Exactly. Not really huge numbers of collectors over here, so no reason to worry.

Now, could you ship your early FF (#1-20) overstock to my address? How does $5 a piece sound? Of course, you could also pick up these $5 bills in the parking lot, but that won't help you get rid of your overstock... :baiting:lol

From the most recent gospel of Chuck, his revelations are shockingly honest:

In our Mile High Comics staff meetings, I equate the current situation at most comics conventions with being able to walk up to the parking lot at the show, and finding that it is covered in $5 bills. All that I need to do in order to make money is to pick up those $5 bills as fast as I can!

Of course, when I envision this scene in my mind, there are a bunch of little old ladies trying to pick up the $5 bills as well... :devil:

But you know what? If I could quit my job and make a lot of money by traveling across the country to comic shows, buying books for a dollar, then putting them on a web site for 5 dollars and have them sell, I'm pretty sure I would do that.

While I would hate to agree with him, he is right. Before you get all testy, realize that the American dollar is very weak unfortunately.

I know we have some europeans here and they understand very well this situation. I would hazard to guess that most ordinary Americans don't really understand it. So yes, lots of books are leaving the USA and will probably not return anytime soon. Is this a plea in order for CHUCKY to sell more books. Obviously.

Exactly most Americans, don`t know or care whats going on. I have some friends they make fun of Canada all the time, then when I state that that Canada`s and Euro dollar is worth more than ours now. they accuse me of lying until I google it up on my laptop. then silence. Basically more people are interested in who wins American Idol now in this country than who will be our next President. a lot of American people have given up and just watch Comedy Central now.

Exactly. Not really huge numbers of collectors over here, so no reason to worry.

That's a pretty true statement when you're talking American comics. Did many shows in Germany between 2001-2005 and while there are a few who do collect US comics, they are a pittance in relation to Euro comic collectors...

Jim