• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

walking dead

17 posts in this topic

I dont really collect moderns, but am a huge fan of the zombie era movies (especially Romero) Ive been hearing about theses books everywhere. Are these books along those lines and are they really as good as the hype?

PS - did anybody see Diary of the Dead. There are no theatres around me that are playing it. Was it good, if anyone saw it?

Comics have definitely gone "Zombie crazy". Marvel even introduced Zombies with their superhero characters (ie Marvel Zombies) which took advantage of the craze readers had with Zombies.

As with most books/comics, some of these titles are hit and miss. My suggestion is to grab the first book in a given title, read it, and if it doesn't float your boat simply move on to the next one. Zombies: Feast! has some GREAT covers although I wasn't particularly blown away with the interior art. You can get the entire Walking Dead series in paperback for around $50 on eBay. I just found Deadlander/Dead Rider, and although it is a short series, I find it very well drawn. It's about a dead spirit in the days of the West...supernatural meets western.

Bottom line: Collect what you like, not where the hype is. Buying trade paperbacks (TPB) is a cheap way of doing so, if reading is the goal. Everyone's tastes are different, so go out and experiment!

P.S. I have not seen Diary of the Dead, but I've of course seen all of the blank of the Dead Romero movies and even enjoyed the Dawn of the Dead remake.

Walking Dead is great. I recommend starting with the first TPB and going from there, especially if you're only interested in reading the stories.

To say the least, there are alot of die-hard Walking Dead readers and collectors on these boards.

I, including my girlfriend, among many many others got hooked on this series from the first tpb. Once you start reading it, especially if you're into the genre, the trades read from end to end and you NEED the next one! I've had that same feeling at the end of every tpb, and I'm sure it's just like that if you get the regular issues.

Definately start with the first tpb or even one of the hardcovers.

My only regret about this series is not having known about it from the very first issue because I prefer having the individual issues.

So I finally picked up the first TPB and read it on Friday.

Not bad.

However, wasn't the beginning borrowing a little too heavily from "28 days later"? And he gets saved in Atlanta by a kid very reminiscent of Short Round?

;)

For me, it's very similar to Y the Last Man. You're just waiting to see what happens next. :popcorn: The problem with that is that once you've read it, you don't really need to read it again. I sat down to read through Y again a few months ago and got bored because I already knew where the story was going.

BUT, the story is engaging. And I do plan on reading the series all the way through eventually.

However, wasn't the beginning borrowing a little too heavily from "28 days later"? And he gets saved in Atlanta by a kid very reminiscent of Short Round?

People really need to get over the whole 28 Days Later comparison. 28 Days Later admittedly borrowed that from The Day of the Triffids. Guy wakes up in Hospital to find earth over run by man killing plants.

People really need to get over the whole 28 Days Later comparison. 28 Days Later admittedly borrowed that from The Day of the Triffids. Guy wakes up in Hospital to find earth over run by man killing plants.

Man killing plants? Cool!

Yeah, Kirkman even indicated that the start of the series is a nod to the Zombie movies...not that he had no idea how to start the series.

I even got my wife to read the 1st TPB. She's getting used to the comic style of story telling, but she enjoyed it.

The thing to learn from Y is that they should never reveal why zombism occurred. Or wait until the series is being ended.

I sure do hope they show some stuff from when the world was being overtaken. Now that I think about it, have they ever stated that the world was overrun? Heck, not even the U.S.

Pat