• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got my grail (almost)

87 posts in this topic

Well I just made payment on my grail book and I should :wishluck: have it by the end of the week if all goes well.

It's an AF 15 CGC 6.0 PLOD :headbang:

I couldn't resist because it looks so damn good. :cloud9:

This is a pic from the auction...I can't wait to scan it myself :insane:

Also I finally paid 4 figures for a book :acclaim:

af15.jpg

:applause:

I was actually very surprised that I won it...I bid last minute and won :shrug:

It ended at a whopping $2,550.00 :insane:

plus shipping and Insurance of course :)

While i'm not one of the dealers who saw this at the Con, let me be the first to say that this looks "WAY" better than an apparent 6.0.

I read danny's statement about the resto and it got me to wondering if that's entirely true. I always used to think that the grade given was what the book actually looked like after the resto. hence the chosen word, Apparent.

now i'm not sure although i suspect that imperfect resto work would be both visible and cause for downgrades. at first i thought that the grade was a result of trimming (which is considered destruction and a serious cause for downgrade, but i just don't know).

in any event. that's a BEAUTIFUL copy, restored or not and a GREAT reason to reflect on why someone would prefer an unrestored 2.0-2.5 for the same money.

and, as FFB pointed out a couple of years ago, this books value in restored condition is proportionately higher than most others.

IMHO, the stigma attached to resto due to purple labels is a gross overeaction.

here's a book that you can proudly display. If i were keeping it i'd break it out of the slab, put it in the Mylar of choice with a Fullback and some microchamber paper and show it off to everyone i know in the hobby........... :sumo: (thumbs u

Count- CONGRAT'S!!! Who cares if it's a PLOD--that just means you can get a nicer grade comic for a lower price :grin: I can't imagine the feeling of cracking the 4-digit marker. If it's anything like breaking over the $500+ range, I hope your stomach settles down ;)

Count- CONGRAT'S!!! Who cares if it's a PLOD--that just means you can get a nicer grade comic for a lower price :grin: I can't imagine the feeling of cracking the 4-digit marker. If it's anything like breaking over the $500+ range, I hope your stomach settles down ;)

the problem is once you've gone that far in to the K's

you find it easier do it for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on times...

:blush:

Congrats, Count. I's amazing to see how many of these books are trimmed - I just saw in GPA that there are 33 sales of resto with trimmed cover. I am sure that in a few years when the PLOD stigma wears out you will be holding a piece worth its weight in gold. And it's a beauty to display, as well - You have to get it in one of those Frame it Again Sam frames!

While i'm not one of the dealers who saw this at the Con, let me be the first to say that this looks "WAY" better than an apparent 6.0.

I read danny's statement about the resto and it got me to wondering if that's entirely true. I always used to think that the grade given was what the book actually looked like after the resto. hence the chosen word, Apparent.

now i'm not sure although i suspect that imperfect resto work would be both visible and cause for downgrades. at first i thought that the grade was a result of trimming (which is considered destruction and a serious cause for downgrade, but i just don't know).

in any event. that's a BEAUTIFUL copy, restored or not and a GREAT reason to reflect on why someone would prefer an unrestored 2.0-2.5 for the same money.

and, as FFB pointed out a couple of years ago, this books value in restored condition is proportionately higher than most others.

IMHO, the stigma attached to resto due to purple labels is a gross overeaction.

here's a book that you can proudly display. If i were keeping it i'd break it out of the slab, put it in the Mylar of choice with a Fullback and some microchamber paper and show it off to everyone i know in the hobby........... :sumo: (thumbs u

I'm one that prefers blue label vs purple but I just could not afford a book that presents this well in blue without seriously going broke. Given the choice between this PLOD and a blue 2.0 - 2.5 to me I would rather have the PLOD :shrug:

Obviously lol

Since the ASM 1s are somewhat slightly more affordable I'm hopping to find my other grail in a blue label soon...but...not too soon. :)

Congrats, Count. I's amazing to see how many of these books are trimmed - I just saw in GPA that there are 33 sales of resto with trimmed cover. I am sure that in a few years when the PLOD stigma wears out you will be holding a piece worth its weight in gold. And it's a beauty to display, as well - You have to get it in one of those Frame it Again Sam frames!

"Frame it Again Sam frames"?

Or commission a custom frame from....

0W5.jpg

:shy: