• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, jpepx78 said:

This was originally posted in August 2013 but the pictures are gone from a defunct image hosting service. I will slowly resurrect a few of my posts with missing pictures as time allows.

Here is a reason why I find newsstand photos with comics to be fascinating.

These 2 photos were taken by Marjory Collins of two workers looking at newspapers while waiting for a trolley after work in Baltimore Maryland in April 1943.   baltimore%204-43b_zps6z1i8966.jpg

baltimore%204-43a_zpsptfkjdcb.jpg

Look closely and see there are 8 different comics in the photos and one of them is Gift Comics #3. Gift #3 is a 324 page squarebound of different Fawcett titles printed at the same time as the individual original comics bound inside. So based on the appearance of the other comics and the April 1943 issue of Esquire magazine pictured, here is evidence that Gift #3 was published in 1943 and not in 1949 as indicated in the Overstreet guide and the Grand Comics Database. You read it here first.

Can you identify the other 7 comics?

Notice the Hi Ho Inn restaurant/bar sign over the worker's shoulder. The Hi Ho restaurant was located on 308 East Baltimore so these pictures were taken at the corner of East Baltimore St and North Holliday St in downtown Baltimore.

Matchbook cover from the Hi Ho Inn

hi%20ho%20inn_zpskownl0ph.jpg

Batman 17

On 30/09/2016 at 5:51 AM, iggy said:

And was surprised to see this newsstand photo with comics up on the gallery wall as fine art!

9gc08j.jpg

The photo was dated 1954.

Which I think is correct. Specifically, the WDC&S top right is the April 1954 edition. The Wedding Bells is cover dated June 1954.

3 hours ago, tricolorbrian said:

Hmmm...that didn't really blow it up, but you can tell it's Marvel #1...

58a63cc5b1e0e_newsstand-13-Marvel-1Sup-3.thumb.jpg.d840cd151c99683012e1b6eb3b10e099.jpg

That's definitely Blue Beetle 2 in the photo....... BB 1 was Winter '39 and # 2 was early 1940...... so it is possible, especially considering the mystery behind the two different cover dates for MC 1 is unsettled. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 minute ago, jimjum12 said:

That's definitely Blue Beetle 2 in the photo....... BB 1 was Winter '39 and # 2 was early 1940...... so it is possible, especially considering the mystery behind the two different cover dates for MC 1 is unsettled. GOD BLESS...

See the two horizontal white lines on the cover of the marvel?  Go compare that to a pic of marvel #1...there is no mystery to this... lol

1 minute ago, tricolorbrian said:

See the two horizontal white lines on the cover of the marvel?  Go compare that to a pic of marvel #1...there is no mystery to this... lol

I'm inclined to believe you....... it would suggest that if MC 1 was on the stand in 1939, it was at the very, very end of the year. GOD BLESS...

1 minute ago, jimjum12 said:

I'm inclined to believe you....... it would suggest that if MC 1 was on the stand in 1939, it was at the very, very end of the year. GOD BLESS...

So...this could be very exciting news...fascinating...even...We may have solved a long-standing mystery about when Marvel #1 came out.  What do we get for that?  A No-prize?  (shrug)

8 minutes ago, tricolorbrian said:

So...this could be very exciting news...fascinating...even...We may have solved a long-standing mystery about when Marvel #1 came out.  What do we get for that?  A No-prize?  (shrug)

....... probably just more argument from people who can't live without arguing about something. I always wondered if Jacquet held back on MC 1 so he could market the MPF premium as original material..... planning to release MC 1 immediately after the ink was dry on the MPF print run.... or something of that nature. It's interesting to see a photo of it on the stands with other books. It would be illuminating to deduce the other titles in the photo....and their release dates. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12