• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

First one that jumped out at me was the Patsy Walker, not sure why. But if I was that kids age and had to pick I am sure I'd go for the Coo Coo or Goofy.

Funny too how all those big title logos stick out, no wonder they made the titles really big like that with comics in racks like that. Then the DC's with their tiny titles totally get lost in there, you barely notice them.

First one that jumped out at me was the Patsy Walker, not sure why. But if I was that kids age and had to pick I am sure I'd go for the Coo Coo or Goofy.

Funny too how all those big title logos stick out, no wonder they made the titles really big like that with comics in racks like that. Then the DC's with their tiny titles totally get lost in there, you barely notice them.

I thought the exact same thing! I barely spotted the Adventure Comics and it's right up front. By the way, which one did the kid grab? The Three Little Pigs?

Yes, the kid grabbed the Three Little Pigs = Four Color # 218. On lower right, there's also Four Color # 217 - Bugs Bunny. At that age, I believe I would have picked one of those two as well rather than the Coo Coo or Goofy even. I always went for that kind of digest at that age with Pif or Placid et Muzo et aussi parfois Rahan :cloud9:

0032333b.jpeg

I find it interesting that the picture was taken in February, and while the Adventure has a cover date of March which you would expect, the Patsy Walker is the May issue. Even though it was a bimonthly, I would have thought the March issue would still be on the stands (or maybe the picture was taken right after new books had been put on the rack?). I love seeing these old newsstand pics.

Edited by IngelsFan

blue%20front%202-17-49_zpspxm4aqyr.jpg

Great story! As a side note, if mom was only going to let you get one comic from this rack, which one would you pick? For some reason that Pep Comics seems to grab me...

They all grab me would love the whole rack and all. Hey the bag in front of them looks like CGC slabs.

Edited by woowoo

Great story! As a side note, if mom was only going to let you get one comic from this rack, which one would you pick? For some reason that Pep Comics seems to grab me...

Awesome photo!

Oh, I would jump that Cap. And if I whined a little I might go home with that Marvel Mystery as well...

A few observations. A pretty wide variety of titles there. Some stuff I rarely see on these racks are Starlet O'Hara, Mopsy, Bruce Gentry and even a Matt Baker romance comic. Odd there are no Crime titles as they were pretty big then. Also they way they were displayed, I notice a lot of red and yellow mastheads to grab attention. Comics are displayed full cover now.

Also since comics were returnable back then, I wonder if newsstands ordered how ever many copies they would think they could sell of each title like is done today? I suspect the distributors just delivered what they wanted and the dealers just put them out returning what they didn't sell?

I want the Captain America but it looks like Mom is pushing the Three Little Pigs ....

Original caption for photo taken at the store on 2/17/49:

For a five-year-old, choosing one comic book from a whole stand of them is like trying to select the biggest, reddest apple from a bushel basket.

Russell Whitehead, kindergarten pupil at Perry School, decided on "The Three Little Pigs," but not until he had given a dozen other offerings the twice-over.

His mother, Mrs. Barry Whitehead of 711 Arch St., figured it wouldn't be long until Russell huffed and puffed and blew his way through "Pigs."

Then they'll probably be back at the magazine stand.

Almost all genres of comics can seen on the racks here and the only genres that are not seen are crime and horror.

Given that the pic was taken in early 1949, they would have been hard pressed to have any horror comics on display, in that there really weren't any at the time. AFA the crime genre, most likely placed at the far right of the pic. Notice the Kerry Drake, and the book above it possibly starting with the letter C, for Crime.

Given that the pic was taken in early 1949, they would have been hard pressed to have any horror comics on display, in that there really weren't any at the time. AFA the crime genre, most likely placed at the far right of the pic. Notice the Kerry Drake, and the book above it possibly starting with the letter C, for Crime.

I personally think it is a "G" for Georgie

Georgie_Comics_Vol_1_23_zpsgscte5ne.jpg

The layout seems haphazard so a teen comic could be right next to a crime book

Edited by archiefan

I personally think it is a "G" for Georgie

Georgie_Comics_Vol_1_23_zpsgscte5ne.jpg

The layout seems haphazard so a teen comic could be right next to a crime book

(thumbs u

Venus or Captain America

Cap or MM for me....but I'm also spotting that sweet Baker book in newsstand fresh condition

I find it interesting that the picture was taken in February, and while the Adventure has a cover date of March which you would expect, the Patsy Walker is the May issue. Even though it was a bimonthly, I would have thought the March issue would still be on the stands (or maybe the picture was taken right after new books had been put on the rack?).

I believe Patsy Walker was published quarterly. According to this site

http://www.dcindexes.com/features/comic.php?comicid=54812#http://www.dcindexes.com/features/comic.php?comicid=54812#

this May issue of Patsy Walker was on sale Jan 26, 1949.

This was originally posted in August 2013 but the pictures are gone from a defunct image hosting service. I will slowly resurrect a few of my posts with missing pictures as time allows.

Here is a reason why I find newsstand photos with comics to be fascinating.

These 2 photos were taken by Marjory Collins of two workers looking at newspapers while waiting for a trolley after work in Baltimore Maryland in April 1943.   baltimore%204-43b_zps6z1i8966.jpg

baltimore%204-43a_zpsptfkjdcb.jpg

Look closely and see there are 8 different comics in the photos and one of them is Gift Comics #3. Gift #3 is a 324 page squarebound of different Fawcett titles printed at the same time as the individual original comics bound inside. So based on the appearance of the other comics and the April 1943 issue of Esquire magazine pictured, here is evidence that Gift #3 was published in 1943 and not in 1949 as indicated in the Overstreet guide and the Grand Comics Database. You read it here first.

Can you identify the other 7 comics?

Notice the Hi Ho Inn restaurant/bar sign over the worker's shoulder. The Hi Ho restaurant was located on 308 East Baltimore so these pictures were taken at the corner of East Baltimore St and North Holliday St in downtown Baltimore.

Matchbook cover from the Hi Ho Inn

hi%20ho%20inn_zpskownl0ph.jpg

2 hours ago, jpepx78 said:

This was originally posted in August 2013 but the pictures are gone from a defunct image hosting service. I will slowly resurrect a few of my posts with missing pictures as time allows.

Here is a reason why I find newsstand photos with comics to be fascinating.

These 2 photos were taken by Marjory Collins of two workers looking at newspapers while waiting for a trolley after work in Baltimore Maryland in April 1943.   baltimore%204-43b_zps6z1i8966.jpg

baltimore%204-43a_zpsptfkjdcb.jpg

Look closely and see there are 8 different comics in the photos and one of them is Gift Comics #3. Gift #3 is a 324 page squarebound of different Fawcett titles printed at the same time as the individual original comics bound inside. So based on the appearance of the other comics and the April 1943 issue of Esquire magazine pictured, here is evidence that Gift #3 was published in 1943 and not in 1949 as indicated in the Overstreet guide and the Grand Comics Database. You read it here first.

Can you identify the other 7 comics?

Notice the Hi Ho Inn restaurant/bar sign over the worker's shoulder. The Hi Ho restaurant was located on 308 East Baltimore so these pictures were taken at the corner of East Baltimore St and North Holliday St in downtown Baltimore.

Matchbook cover from the Hi Ho Inn

hi%20ho%20inn_zpskownl0ph.jpg

I see a Batman, a Detective, a Crack, a More Fun and a Wow...:whistle: