• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, tricolorbrian said:

Wait...how do we know this photo is from 1939.  It's just a bunch of kids on steps reading comics.  It could be a photo from 1940.  There's nothing to prove those were all new books...

My mistake.....thought it was a newsstand you copied from..... for what it's worth, the Wonderworld is probably # 9 (January 1940)while the Adventure looks to be # 45 (December 1939). GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

9 hours ago, tricolorbrian said:

See the two horizontal white lines on the cover of the marvel?  Go compare that to a pic of marvel #1...there is no mystery to this... lol

Yes I see them now - no doubt that that's Marvel Comics #1.  I note as well what looks like Whiz 5 (4) cover dated May 1940.  If that's the case, it may explain the long sleeve shirts.  Could mean that the photo was taken March/April 1940.

I also think that I see Superman 3...

1 hour ago, lpsunburst said:

I was drawn straight to the Fox books, Science Comics 3 Blue Beetle 2 and Wonderworld 11.

There's a lot of early books in the pic..... I can't help but wonder if there was some purpose that it originally served... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

The comics are the star of the show here but all that vintage advertising stuff just ads to it all for me anyway.

I see me some Centaurs 

7 minutes ago, woowoo said:

The CC punch 12 is at 3500 6 days left. I would not mind paying 10k for your 6.0 :whistle:

The 4.0 will go a few bucks from that and mine is the last to go or the wife throws it away (:

I don't think this has been posted before, I ran across it in a book called "Chicago: City on the Move". Kind of a crappy photo of the page, I don't have a scanner. There was no date listed and the comics are hard to make out, but I think I see an All Winners #19 and Superman #42, so it's somewhere around August or September 1946 probably.

009.JPG

Nice photo find, catman76!

I found the source of the original picture in the Chicago Transit Authority Archives on Flckr. The photo captures everyday life around July 1946 in front of the 58th "L" station on the South Side Main Line in Chicago that is 3 blocks south of Garfield on today's Green Line. That station had a rare island platform instead of a side platform.
If you notice the signs on the right, this newsstand offered other services such as magazine subscriptions, utility bill payments, notary services and issued city & state licenses.

nsh5nkVI

In a closeup of the comic rack, there is a key Timely- All-Winners 19 & Superman 42 that were identified. Some of the other books I was able to identify were Crime Does Not Pay 47, Calling All Kids 4, Calling All Boys 6, Captain Aero 26, Airboy 31, Super Rabbit 8, Buzzy 9, Polly Pigtails 7, Daredevil 39, More Fun 114, Ha Ha 33, Archie 22 & Movie Tunes 3.

bxjpnrEP

This is another full service Chicago newsstand also on 58th Street from about February or March 1946. You could get magazine subscriptions, easter cards, marriage license duplicates, birth or death certificates or get your taxes done. It’s interesting that the comics were on the top shelves out of reach from kids. Some of the comics I could identify are: Action 95, Flash 71, Boy Commandos 14, Modern 49, Batman 34, Shadow 61, Real Fact 2, All Funny 11, Super Duck 7 & Detective 110.

gy8PtoE5

2 hours ago, jpepx78 said:

Nice photo find, catman76!

I found the source of the original picture in the Chicago Transit Authority Archives on Flckr. The photo captures everyday life around July 1946 in front of the 58th "L" station on the South Side Main Line in Chicago that is 3 blocks south of Garfield on today's Green Line. That station had a rare island platform instead of a side platform.
If you notice the signs on the right, this newsstand offered other services such as magazine subscriptions, utility bill payments, notary services and issued city & state licenses.

nsh5nkVI

In a closeup of the comic rack, there is a key Timely- All-Winners 19 & Superman 42 that were identified. Some of the other books I was able to identify were Crime Does Not Pay 47, Calling All Kids 4, Calling All Boys 6, Captain Aero 26, Airboy 31, Super Rabbit 8, Buzzy 9, Polly Pigtails 7, Daredevil 39, More Fun 114, Ha Ha 33, Archie 22 & Movie Tunes 3.

bxjpnrEP

This is another full service Chicago newsstand also on 58th Street from about February or March 1946. You could get magazine subscriptions, easter cards, marriage license duplicates, birth or death certificates or get your taxes done. It’s interesting that the comics were on the top shelves out of reach from kids. Some of the comics I could identify are: Action 95, Flash 71, Boy Commandos 14, Modern 49, Batman 34, Shadow 61, Real Fact 2, All Funny 11, Super Duck 7 & Detective 110.

gy8PtoE5

Always great stuff Jeff. :)