• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Fun with Dr. Occult

59 posts in this topic

Don't think we have had a Dr. Occult thread yet. Love the pre-hero More Fun with great artwork by O'mealia in 2 different series: Fang Gow in China and Bob Merritt flying adventures.

P3210019.jpg

P3210018.jpg

Here is Dr. Occult from MF #15 Superman prototype. Think he got an anti-gravity belt in #16?

P3210020.jpg

Excellent!!! :applause:

Most of my More Fun books are slabbed, but I will check to see if I have any raw copies I can scan some pages from.

If anyone is interested, here are the More Fun issues I have on display:

EsquireComics' More Fun Collection

in the entire mythos, do not leave out the key books of New Fun 6 AND Comic Magazine 1 (psuedo-DC issue) (Story-wise More Fun 14 picks up from CM#1- except for the flipping of names and adjectives)(Sorry to go grammatical on you)

The two stories in these two books are so important that it makes my hair hurt (if i had any). If brave enough, I might see what i can do about reproducing.....(I have no excuse, I own no slabbed books)

By the way in my opinion #6 is the rarest of the New Funs......

jb

Most of my More Fun books are slabbed, but I will check to see if I have any raw copies I can scan some pages from.

in the entire mythos, do not leave out the key books of New Fun 6 AND Comic Magazine 1 (psuedo-DC issue) (Story-wise More Fun 14 picks up from CM#1- except for the flipping of names and adjectives)(Sorry to go grammatical on you)

The two stories in these two books are so important that it makes my hair hurt (if i had any). If brave enough, I might see what i can do about reproducing.....(I have no excuse, I own no slabbed books)

jb

Go Jonny, Go Jonny, GO GO GO :grin:

By the way in my opinion #6 is the rarest of the New Funs......

jb

i do have a scan of the #6 already.....I will get to the Comic Magazine later

oh as a bonus here is the only known mailer with New Fun pin which was first advertised in New Fun 3 (when i bought my 3 and 4, they came with an extra front covers). So when i put this together, i used the "extra covers". The New Adventure pins are there 'cause I did not know where else to place them.....This is the earliest of DC memorabilia.....jb

54964-newfun6page.jpg.fea43b3be62e3b335e6ebec639af1ab0.jpg

54965-NewFunDisplay.jpg.5dc5cb7ffe7523145eff800810375423.jpg

After talking with Aardvark about wanting to eventually get all the Dr Occult stories up on the net for people to see, we have a thread started! Nice!

I will work on making nice hi-res scans of the stories for the ishs I have. I have most of the early stuff. The New Fun 6 = ya, right! I don't think i've ever seen one in person before. Jon's collection is SICK!

I'm planning on making a webpage dedicated to Dr. Occult with all his stories posted there so that one of the most important comic characters in history -IMHO- can be 'read' by anyone with out having to go through what we have to - just to find these books. Jon, if you have a really hi-res pic you could send me of the New Fun 6 page with Occult that I could use, I'd appreciate it (since I doubt i'll ever own one to scan).

Jon, that display is incredible. What is the story behind the extra covers? Were they unused cover sheets? Are they just the front covers or the backs too?

Nice white pages on the New Fun 6 by the way. I don't think I've ever seen anything close to that for that book.

Jon, that display is incredible. What is the story behind the extra covers? Were they unused cover sheets? Are they just the front covers or the backs too?

Nice white pages on the New Fun 6 by the way. I don't think I've ever seen anything close to that for that book.

It is actually "whiter" than that. Many of my New Funs came from Gary Carters books....the 6 i grade as a solid VF-, back to paper stock...When sold to me, the 3 and 4 came with an "extra set" detached covers to 3 and 4.

I had them in mylars for the longest time. when i got the certificate with the pins, i came up with idea to display them and put the detached covers to use. The pins have black velvet behind them. The black mat with black core really zings up the display. It is how i have all my original art framed.

I have always been a big fan of the #6 and consider it The Book of the run, altho the 3 has a great cover and the number 1 historical.....

True Story (My 1 which has a married back cover....I bought it twenty plus years ago. Never had seen a New Fun....got it from Danny Dupchak of Fantazia (spelling)(for those who do not know an absolutely unscrupulous dealer). When i got it i called him- "Danny, shouldn't this book have a back cover?" (The front was perfectly attached)) Danny: "Geez,I don't know."

Eventually, truth came to the surface and I paid $300 instead of $500. Ah the days of the Wild West of comic dealing.......

jon