• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover fading...How much does it affect?

88 posts in this topic

Fading is a huge defect, at least in my eyes its just not possible for that book to be a 7.0.

I know I mentioned in another thread that a good reason to mylar the CGC slab, besides looking spiffy and not getting scratches, is that the mylar provides 99+ percent UV protection, while the CGC slab does not offer any to the comic. So for a show dealer, it would make sense to mylar the books, if you are just leaving the books boxed in your momas basement, then no need to mylar bag the CGC books.

Fading is a huge defect, at least in my eyes its just not possible for that book to be a 7.0.

I know I mentioned in another thread that a good reason to mylar the CGC slab, besides looking spiffy and not getting scratches, is that the mylar provides 99+ percent UV protection, while the CGC slab does not offer any to the comic. So for a show dealer, it would make sense to mylar the books, if you are just leaving the books boxed in your momas basement, then no need to mylar bag the CGC books.

You just derailed JC's derailment. (tsk)

I know I mentioned in another thread that a good reason to mylar the CGC slab, besides looking spiffy and not getting scratches, is that the mylar provides 99+ percent UV protection

I didn't know that there are CGC mylars.

The CGC reholdering to a new a case every 7 years is upsurd.

If you keep the CGC comics away from the sunlight and decent climate with little humidity those CGC cases and books will look perfect just as you bought them years after you age and die.

BUT WHAT IF THE CURRENT OWNER DOES NOT TAKE CARE OF THEM??

That's the point. :makepoint:

In 10-15 years, under bad conditions, cover colors fade, page quality goes from white to brown, and that CGC 9.6 W you bought is now a 4.0 with Brittle Pages.

And it does happen - there are lots of people on here who display their CGC books in full light, and others where improperly stored CGC books have rusted.

Putt your CGC books in a CGC cardboard boxes or whatever a nd then put them in a room with no sunlight or in a cool dark closet, and no fading or mishandling should happen.

Unless you juggle your CGC when your bored! :juggle:

Ok... I'll be the lone voice in the wilderness...

And let me state that I don't like fading at all, BUT...

This book is NOT faded **that** badly. On a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being barely perceptable fade, 10 being totally bleached out... this book is no worse than a 3 or 4. The dark colors are almost unaffected and the reds/oranges are not severely affected.

Does it deserve a 7.0? I dunno... but I'd take it over books with chipping, pieces missing and/or a nasty dust shadow running across the cover.

(shrug)

I know I mentioned in another thread that a good reason to mylar the CGC slab, besides looking spiffy and not getting scratches, is that the mylar provides 99+ percent UV protection

I didn't know that there are CGC mylars.

Yes, they are the legal-size mylars.

Putt your CGC books in a CGC cardboard boxes or whatever a nd then put them in a room with no sunlight or in a cool dark closet, and no fading or mishandling should happen.

doh!doh!doh!

I hereby nominate you to personally check that each and every one of the CGC books in circulation are being properly cared for, and to physically remove any CGC comic that is on display.

Okay? Get to it!!

Do books fade from just being in a regular room on display exposed to just the regular light from the electricity in lamps or spot lights etc...?

doh!doh!doh!

I hereby nominate you to personally check that each and every one of the CGC books in circulation are being properly cared for, and to physically remove any CGC comic that is on display.

Okay? Get to it!!

(shrug)

Caring for your comics is very easy, I have never had one of my comics fade or be damaged because I mis-handled them to de-value them.

Just be careful, its not rocket science.

The dark colors are almost unaffected and the reds/oranges are not severely affected.

(shrug)

I disagree, the reds, particularly on Spidey and the Torch look quite faded.

doh!doh!doh!

Okay? Get to it!!

Mine are OK. :acclaim:

hm The search continues :)

-"Baby, they find that gorilla done got out the zoo and punched you?"

-"N...n...no mama... the soich continues"

Sorry, had a moment there after reading through this thread and the horrible dangers that people are leaving their multiple thousand dollar books laying on tin foil next to a Florida swimming pool. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

This seems to be a very nice book the only thing that REALLY keeps me from wanting this book is the fading on the cover.

Does anyone know how much of the grade the fading is affecting?

Such a shame :(

cgc-asm-1-cgc70.jpg

It's possible the Spidey may not be that faded in person. It may've been scanned with low contrast or low color saturation. The "tell" is how washed out the blue CGC label looks, but in this case you can only see the lower part of the blue gradient. Who knows. (shrug)

Having said that, I remember getting a CGC 9.2 off eBay that was cover faded. Not severly faded, but enough to make me leery of what's allowed in grade. :eek:

I'm going to have to post my copy of Green Lantern #1 in the "Hey Buddy, Can You Spare A Grade?" section and let you guys tell me what you think it grades out at. The colors are VERY washed out on that cover...otherwise it's not in bad shape. I too was wondering how much to deduct for the color loss on that issue. I'll see if I can't get it posted tonight if you guys will look for it and let me know what you think. Been pondering whether to send it in for grading or not.....

Thanks!

Mike

I'm not trying to derail Count's thread, but I've posted my Green Lantern #1 in the Hey Buddy, Can You Spare A Grade section. For those frequenting Count's thread, if you will please take a look at my issue and let me know what you grade it out as.

Thanks!

Mike

Do books fade from just being in a regular room on display exposed to just the regular light from the electricity in lamps or spot lights etc...?

If the room is lit by flourescent lights, then yes definitely. Incandescents I believe are safer. There are companies that manufacture low-uv lamp bulbs and uv-filters for flourescents.

If the room is lit by flourescent lights, then yes definitely. Incandescents I believe are safer. There are companies that manufacture low-uv lamp bulbs and uv-filters for flourescents.

So at comic conventions the dealers are exposing the comic books to bad light then as well I am assuming???

This seems to be a very nice book the only thing that REALLY keeps me from wanting this book is the fading on the cover.

Does anyone know how much of the grade the fading is affecting?

Such a shame :(

cgc-asm-1-cgc70.jpg

It's possible the Spidey may not be that faded in person. It may've been scanned with low contrast or low color saturation. The "tell" is how washed out the blue CGC label looks, but in this case you can only see the lower part of the blue gradient. Who knows. (shrug)

Having said that, I remember getting a CGC 9.2 off eBay that was cover faded. Not severly faded, but enough to make me leery of what's allowed in grade. :eek:

I asked the seller and this is the response I got:

the scan may have lightened the colors a bit but it is also slightly faded as well. That's most probably one of the reasons it graded as a 7.0 and not higher. It really is a very nice book.