• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover fading...How much does it affect?

88 posts in this topic

My response is simple - 10 or 15 years from now I'll have to get it reslabbed antway because no one will buy a book that has been slabbed for that long. In 2020 I certainly won't be willing to buy books that has been sitting in the same slab for 15 or 20 years without a regrade.

I honestly think that CGC will be forced, by the buyers, to institute a "Date Graded" field on the label, and make this information freely available to *any* interested buyer.

In 10+ more years, any buyers left will be very hesitant to trust the number the label.

I'm surprised this hasn't already been instituted. CGC recommends re-holdering after seven years, so it would seem to make sense to inform the owner when a slab's expiration is about up. Probably two dates, date graded and date encapsulated, are warranted.

that have severely faded with just the flourecent light

Fluorescent lights are excellent emitters of UV spectrum that is most likely to cause fading.

Even materials that protect against UV will not necessarily protect against the part of the spectrum that causes the most damage. Ernie Gerber ran tests to prove that back in the 90s and put out a brand of mylars that would effectively protect against UV. It's possible that the formula is used today in some/all mylars but I don't know that and so am very cautious about light exposure.

The CGC reholdering to a new a case every 7 years is upsurd.

If you keep the CGC comics away from the sunlight and decent climate with little humidity those CGC cases and books will look perfect just as you bought them years after you age and die.

I have had comics that I storage in my basement away from the sunlight with low humidity and I just brougtht them ut and they are in perfect conidtion and I dodn't even have them in a mylar or anything, just a normal bag and board.

Especially with Egerbers Mylites 2, those should last you years and with proper caring of your CGC/Raw books they will look great!

The CGC reholdering to a new a case every 7 years is upsurd.

If you keep the CGC comics away from the sunlight and decent climate with little humidity those CGC cases and books will look perfect just as you bought them years after you age and die.

BUT WHAT IF THE CURRENT OWNER DOES NOT TAKE CARE OF THEM??

That's the point. :makepoint:

In 10-15 years, under bad conditions, cover colors fade, page quality goes from white to brown, and that CGC 9.6 W you bought is now a 4.0 with Brittle Pages.

And it does happen - there are lots of people on here who display their CGC books in full light, and others where improperly stored CGC books have rusted.

The CGC reholdering to a new a case every 7 years is upsurd...

It's an urban myth around here -- CGC has never stated or recommended books be re-slabbed every 7 years.

Someone from CGC stated that microchamber paper loses its effectiveness at around 7 years. The "spent" microchamber poses no risk and causes no harm. It simply stops working. In effect, the book is no worse off than if it had no microchamber paper after that period. It does not NEED to be re-slabbed.

It's an urban myth around here -- CGC has never stated or recommended books be re-slabbed every 7 years.

Someone from CGC stated that microchamber paper loses its effectiveness at around 7 years. The "spent" microchamber poses no risk and causes no harm. It simply stops working. In effect, the book is no worse off than if it had no microchamber paper after that period. It does not NEED to be re-slabbed.

Thanks for putting me at ease.

But this conversation has nothing to do with micro-chamber paper. doh!

It concerns a faded CGC comic, and the prospect that this could happen to older books, along with other types of storage-related damage like lowering the PQ, rusted staples, etc.

You are correct. The reason for re-holdering is not to replace the case but to swap out the microchamber paper, which of course would necessarily require a new case.

Per Borock: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=434833#Post434833

Did guys you know that a high-fat diet and an sedentary lifestyle can lead to extremely high cholesterol levels and potential health issues?

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

that have severely faded with just the flourecent light

Fluorescent lights are excellent emitters of UV spectrum that is most likely to cause fading.

Even materials that protect against UV will not necessarily protect against the part of the spectrum that causes the most damage. Ernie Gerber ran tests to prove that back in the 90s and put out a brand of mylars that would effectively protect against UV. It's possible that the formula is used today in some/all mylars but I don't know that and so am very cautious about light exposure.

This is SO true.As a lizard keeper I have some species that MUST have UV light from flourescents or their metabolism cannot process calcium causing metabolic bone disease.From a technical standpoint,ALL comics should be viewed under incandescant light,never UV or natural sunlight.Supposedly only a brief exposure can contribute to the breakdown process.

As for the book in question,I've seen worse although I still wouldn't give it a 7.0.Maybe a 6.5 at best.The real question here is how much should the ASM 1 cost? It would probably be a safe buy at the 3k level but not much more.I personally stay away from faded books unless it is scarce,very cheap,or I want to read it REAL bad.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Did guys you know that a high-fat diet and an sedentary lifestyle can lead to extremely high cholesterol levels and potential health issues?

Hey, everyone is posting facts that have nothing to do with the thread, so I thought I'd keep the derailing going.

Hey, everyone is posting facts that have nothing to do with the thread, so I thought I'd keep the derailing going.

(worship)