• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover fading...How much does it affect?

88 posts in this topic

Just for fun, here's a visual matchup of my low-grade copy and the 7.0. If anything, the fading is actually more significant than I thought...

Strong colors are a preferred must for me...Orange and Reds tend to fade the most...

Caring for your comics is very easy, I have never had one of my comics fade or be damaged because I mis-handled them to de-value them.

And you can speak for everyone else?

That's my point, you and I might know the deal, but there are people on the forums right now with their CGC books on display and more than a couple who have had staple rust from improper storage.

So unless you can personally visit each and every owner of each and every CGC comic, and educate them, then we have a problem.

Caring for your comics is very easy, I have never had one of my comics fade or be damaged because I mis-handled them to de-value them.

That's my point, you and I might know the deal, but there are people on the forums right now with their CGC books on display and more than a couple who have had staple rust from improper storage.

So unless you can personally visit each and every owner of each and every CGC comic, and educate them, then we have a problem.

Ok, I thought u were mocking me at first.

Gotcha, (thumbs u

Do books fade from just being in a regular room on display exposed to just the regular light from the electricity in lamps or spot lights etc...?

If the room is lit by flourescent lights, then yes definitely. Incandescents I believe are safer. There are companies that manufacture low-uv lamp bulbs and uv-filters for flourescents.

So at comic conventions the dealers are exposing the comic books to bad light then as well I am assuming???

You are correct.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

p.s. That's why a strong color strike is at the top of my list with PQ and QP

Do books fade from just being in a regular room on display exposed to just the regular light from the electricity in lamps or spot lights etc...?

If the room is lit by flourescent lights, then yes definitely. Incandescents I believe are safer. There are companies that manufacture low-uv lamp bulbs and uv-filters for flourescents.

I have wondered if I should start to hoard some incandescents. I have switched to energy saving mini-flourescents in much of my home but not where I keep my comics. If incandescents are banded (rumours abound), perhaps filters will be a must.

:blahblah:

If mylar blocks UV rays, it sounds like CGC should use mylar for their inner bags. If you're spending all that money to get a slab, you might as well get that extra protection.

I fail to see why this is such a huge problem for you JC. This is perhaps the biggest non-issue I've ever heard of in regards to problems with CGC books. Unless you're BLIND and your seeing eye dog is the one doing your CGC shopping, I think you're safe from the ever present horrific disaster that is faded CGC books.

This seems to be a very nice book the only thing that REALLY keeps me from wanting this book is the fading on the cover.

Does anyone know how much of the grade the fading is affecting?

Such a shame :(

cgc-asm-1-cgc70.jpg

Fading is one of many things which are only considered a defect if it occured while someone was trying to improve the book.

If this book had more color but was minutely faded in one spot because someone cleaned it, this would probably be an "apparent 3.5" in a purple label and you would be well cautioned to avoid this like the plague to put your money into something, anything, which is untouched with the taint of the intent to improve.

The same principle applies to cover markings, tears, dents, dings, folds, glue, lightening, darkening, and others.

General principle: If it was done with the intent of improving the book it will greatly affect the grade and earn a purple label and you must avoid it at all costs.

If, on the other hand, it was done accidentally, or by a natural phenomenon, then it is no big deal and will not necessarily affect the grade

If, on the other hand, it was done accidentally, or by a natural phenomenon, then it is no big deal and will not necessarily affect the grade

BS, and Steve has stated otherwise in previous threads. I posted my X-Men 94 CGC VG 4.0, which is an obvious "wall book" - 9.X otherwise, but very faded, and I think that's where the "no better than a 4.5" comments came from.

I fail to see why this is such a huge problem for you JC.

Because it has the potential to be a HUGE problem down the road, in terms of fading, staple rust, and page quality.

But knowing this, I should really just blow off all my CGC books and not worry about it, as I can just imagine me buying some 15+ year old slab that some guy's been storing in his attic in Florida. :o

>> Strong colors are a preferred must for me

Yes, me too. This issue has cropped up before with GA books - Fiction House books in particular. I'm undecided whether the problem is fading or whether the ink ratio was off during the printing process.

And sometimes you can't tell a book is dull or faded until you see it next to one that isn't.

Here's part of the cover on two copies of Rangers 37:

rangers_comparison_01.JPG

And here are the two highest graded copies of Rangers 23, both in CGC 9.0:

rangers_comparison_2.jpg

Once you've seen the vivid colors on one copy, the muted colors on another copy look really flat and lifeless by comparison.

And here are the two highest graded copies of Rangers 23, both in CGC 9.0:

rangers_comparison_2.jpg

Once you've seen the vivid colors on one copy, the muted colors on another copy look really flat and lifeless by comparison.

Yep. Combine what's allowed in grade with online scans that can be easily 'tweaked' with higher contrast/color levels, plus 'no returns for CGC graded books'. :eek: Makes online shopping a risk.

BS, and Steve has stated otherwise in previous threads. I posted my X-Men 94 CGC VG 4.0, which is an obvious "wall book" - 9.X otherwise, but very faded, and I think that's where the "no better than a 4.5" comments came from.

I was going to cite books I've seen with obvious color fading that occured long before slabbing and yet the books nonetheless got high grades, but then I saw someone did that in another post with some Rangers comics as examples. I think the average person on this board has also seen enough examples of high-graded books with sun and dust shadows (again, which obviously occured before slabbing) that I need not post those to counter the observation is not "BS." It is not BS to say that CGC takes very much into account HOW a book got its defect; they've said it over and over again, and they've said dealers and customers want it that way. It is not BS to point out what is not only obvious, but has been reinforced time and again. If it offends because it feels like it makes less sense than it should, then perhaps more dealers and customers should say defects should be treated like defects regardless of how they occurred.