• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another batch of Overgraded books from a major dealer... RANT!!!

264 posts in this topic

Through the mylar it looks great, take it out and you're in for a big shock.

Seems to me to be a case of "grading through the bag" syndrome... doh!

Kinda of the same when shopping in a con. I don't know of too many people that will let you take the book out and examine it and maybe/maybe not purchase it.

I won't pay good money for a book at a con unless either I take it out or they take it out...(the comic that is)... ;)

Me too.

Most people I deal with at shows let me whip it out ;)

The book that is :gossip:

Right there on the table? That can't be sanitary man :sick:

Not a problem! Nik always has a bottle of Fast Orange or GoJo in his back pocket.

Avengers 100 is such a tough, tough, tough book. I would never buy one without holding it. Sucks the guy burned you on it. I woulda been just as upset I had to settle for a fine copy, but I actually got it for 15.00 so I cant complain.

If we're taking bets my money's on Ted at Superworld. :whistle:

mine too.

haven't deat with him in years. i told him i had lost confidence. acting like a nice guy while charging top $$$ on overgraded raw books rubs me the wrong way!

Some quick thoughts on this thread:

- Name the dealer or don't bother with threads like this...the reason is that you have one dealer (who may or may not be the one you are referencing) whose name has been speculated about in the thread and is getting dragged through the cyber-mud, (possibly for no reason). That alone should be reason enough to avoid threads that breed rampant speculation...its unfair to those being speculated about.

Right, because if I put a name out there he wouldn't be dragged through the cyber-mud?

- A simple solution for your problems. Buy CGC 8.5s and 9.0s that present well, many of which can be had for under Guide in many instances, break them out, slip them in Mylar, and whammo....well graded high end books at reasonable prices.

Interesting concept, I'll have to try it.

(thumbs u

For the sake of argument, let's say it WASN'T Superworld. Then Superworld just got dragged through the mud for something they didn't do.

It would probably be better to get a refund first, then bring it up on the boards based on the outcome. (thumbs u

Bought several great raw books from Ted over the years (always at shows). Indeed, conventions have long provided, and continue to provide, an unparalleled opportunity to peruse and purchase unencapsulated gems. Here are just a couple from Ted:

Raw NM- for under $400:

JIM93.jpg

Now all alone as the top census 9.0 copy:

TOJ10front.jpg

Just thought I'd point out that it takes two to do the tango. Some buyers are simply unsatisfied with raw books no matter who they're ordered from and what the grades are. Not saying that's the case here, but instead pointing out that it ain't always the dealer who is off-base with their grading. Ask any long-time dealer.

Furthermore, if the dealer in question accepts Lord's returns with no questions asked, then what exactly is the problem?

rantrant

Absolutely true. That is why I accept unconditional returns within a set period of time.

Bought several great raw books from Ted over the years (always at shows). Here are just a couple:

Raw NM- for under $400:

JIM93.jpg

Now a top census 9.0 copy:

TOJ10front.jpg

Those are nice books but isn't this a case of "What have you done for me lately?"

Everyone says Metro is great, but I will never buy another raw book from them again. Every one of them was overgraded by a full grade to grade and a half...One bad experience ruins it for that person.

No matter WHO you buy from if you order a raw book from online there's ALWAYS the chance it's just a crapshoot

If that's your experience, then restrict your raw purchases to instances when you can look at the books, such as at conventions. (thumbs u

Frankly, I'm amazed at how many board members will buy raw books through E-Bay from unknown dealers, often with inferior scans. Talk about a crapshoot!

If that's your experience, then restrict your raw purchases to instances when you can look at the books, such as at conventions. (thumbs u

That WAS my point (worship)

Been burned too many times...

The reason I'm not "naming" him is that most on here have done business with him and have made up their own minds on what they are willing to accept from him, which is obviously overgraded books. It's not like this is some new dealer out there that I feel I need to warn everyone about. This is an established dealer who does not need to be "outed". Plus it's not like this is the only dealer out there that overgrades. Matter of fact, how many don't?

With all due respect, then this thread was a complete waste of anyone's time who read it. It has nothing to do with "outing". It has to do with a customer's opinion. Every opinion is helpful.

New people sign on to these boards nearly every day, and just because a topic was discussed yesterday doesn't mean it won't have value to someone today.

If you want a real rantrant it is threads like this. So many people complain about dealer X and dealer Y yet are not willing to do anything about it. Businesses react to customer opinion, whether they sell televisions, stereos or comics.

I also don't see as how "I'm doing the same thing and giving him a pass". I'm returning the books and if anyone ever asks how his grading is the answer will be "horrible". Not hit or miss, just straight miss.

Ok, how was his grading?

But the answer is useless to me if I don't know who you are talking about.

- Name the dealer or don't bother with threads like this...the reason is that you have one dealer (who may or may not be the one you are referencing) whose name has been speculated about in the thread and is getting dragged through the cyber-mud, (possibly for no reason). That alone should be reason enough to avoid threads that breed rampant speculation...its unfair to those being speculated about.

Right, because if I put a name out there he wouldn't be dragged through the cyber-mud?

- A simple solution for your problems. Buy CGC 8.5s and 9.0s that present well, many of which can be had for under Guide in many instances, break them out, slip them in Mylar, and whammo....well graded high end books at reasonable prices.

(thumbs u

For the sake of argument, let's say it WASN'T Superworld. Then Superworld just got dragged through the mud for something they didn't do.

Exactly. (thumbs u

As for the suggestion of buying CGC 8.5s and 9.0s and breaking them out, you'd be surprised how many nice books you can acquire that way for a reasonable price. My all time favorites were the Mannarino books, many of which were legitimate Light Tan to Off-White in page quality, but many were no worse then CRM/OW. Structurally however, they were 9.2s-9.8s sitting in 8.0/8.5 holders and available for dirt cheap because of the page quality. Several of which I know were cracked out and resold for much more because they were just SO nice in Mylar.

There will never be any reason for any dealer to change his/her ways if their conduct is not openly identified and others can rely upon your views as a means by which to arrive at their own decisions.

If you are not willing to name the person at this time, perhaps you should first approach the dealer and register your complaint to see if they will accept returns or give you a credit. You can then let us know the response and who the dealer is, and we can use that additional information to weigh our own opinions for future transactions.

I disagree. If everyone returns what they think are badly overgraded books, eventually he will either have to change his grading or go out of business because no one buys from him. It's much easier to influence people with your wallet.

So the moral of this story is you just wanted to waste our valuable time to satisfy your own personal problem? I am not going to guess who you were talking about. We don't need to read into your insinuations or hints. If you had a problem with someone, say so. Thanks so much for being helpful. Another perfect example of why the General Section is simply a waste of time. meh

Why won't I learn! doh!:tonofbricks:

What bugs me about this is when a dealer who "grades old school" also sells CGC books, yet lists the same "NM raw" books at 1/3 the price.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm. hm

That is one thing that makes me always wonder and it's worse on

e-bay seeing crappy scans of overgraded raw books and the same seller

listing graded books at the same time. Those are the sellers that know

they are over grrading.

JC,

Didn't you mean to say charge 1/3 more for "NM raw" (shrug)

Just thought I'd point out that it takes two to do the tango. Some buyers are simply unsatisfied with raw books no matter who they're ordered from and what the grades are. Not saying that's the case here, but instead pointing out that it ain't always the dealer who is off-base with their grading. Ask any long-time dealer.

Furthermore, if the dealer in question accepts Lord's returns with no questions asked, then what exactly is the problem?

rantrant

Absolutely true. That is why I accept unconditional returns within a set period of time.

Thats great but you never have any books I need. (shrug)

(thumbs u

It would probably be better to get a refund first, then bring it up on the boards based on the outcome. (thumbs u

It's obviously him. If it wasn't, don't you think he would have told us?

There will never be any reason for any dealer to change his/her ways if their conduct is not openly identified and others can rely upon your views as a means by which to arrive at their own decisions.

If you are not willing to name the person at this time, perhaps you should first approach the dealer and register your complaint to see if they will accept returns or give you a credit. You can then let us know the response and who the dealer is, and we can use that additional information to weigh our own opinions for future transactions.

I disagree. If everyone returns what they think are badly overgraded books, eventually he will either have to change his grading or go out of business because no one buys from him. It's much easier to influence people with your wallet.

So the moral of this story is you just wanted to waste our valuable time to satisfy your own personal problem? I am not going to guess who you were talking about. We don't need to read into your insinuations or hints. If you had a problem with someone, say so. Thanks so much for being helpful. Another perfect example of why the General Section is simply a waste of time. meh

Perhaps you missed the big RANT in the title of the thread. Oh wait...no... you probably missed the large "WARNING - RANT" at the top of the thread. No? Hmmm... Well then I can't help you if you decided to read this even with the attached disclaimers. You're a lawyer, you should be used to disclaimers.

Uh, he warned that his post was going to be a rantrant right from the get-go.

Anyway, the seller was named implicitly and that's good enough for me.

(thumbs u

This makes zero sense to me. People are guessing it's Ted because presumably they have dealt with him and gotten overgraded books or they would have no idea that he overgrades. If they've gotten overgraded books, that is a legitimate gripe with his business model that they are voicing here. How is that dragging him through the mud. If he was a spot on grader most of the time, why would anyone assume it's him?