• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Killin' villains...

3 posts in this topic

Here's the situation: After many years of writing stories for back-up issues and no-name second string characters, you get a shot at the big leagues, one of your favorite characters or books. You also get to introduce a radical change, namely killing a supervillian forever. This guy/gal/it will be gone forever, never to return to continuity unless some ruthless marketing exec. hits the reset button.

So... what villian would you kill, why, and how?

My vote is Bane from Batman. He was created by the marketing department to ride the coattails of the sales volume generated by Superman's death. I find him uninteresting and not in line with the insane/sinister/out there nature of Batman's rogues gallery. He's a big strong guy. Consider Killer Croc, who is also a big strong guy and infinitely more interesting.

As for his death, there's only one character who could truly do it right and that's the Joker. I see a small, simple death from the Joker's smile venom. No long drawn out battles, not multi-issue epics, just the Joker deciding that he doesn' t like the fact that Bane has overpowered Batman. That's the Joker's job.

I would want to do a mini series around deadman where he finally finds the guy who killed him and then in a most gory manner dispatches him to hell. I would also include the spectre in this plot (performing his role of vigilante to those who should not have died) and I would use Batman as the foil representing the do not kill camp.

I think this would be a killer of a series. Adams would do the art.

This whole idea matches with what Fugitive the movie did for those fans of fugitive the series.

As for his death, there's only one character who could truly do it right and that's the Joker. I see a small, simple death from the Joker's smile venom. No long drawn out battles, not multi-issue epics, just the Joker deciding that he doesn' t like the fact that Bane has overpowered Batman. That's the Joker's job.

Good thoughts there with the Joker. It has been interesting lately where they have been playing with the angle that Joker is as jealous as a girlfriend of Bats other villans.