• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics 35

32 posts in this topic

Here is a great copy of Detective comics #35! A classic cover with a deep color strike, sharp edges, clean and flat. Interesting to note that both Matt Nelson and Steve Borock had the same reaction when examining the book, " This baby really glows!". Steve Borock graded this book a 3.5 but CGC was unwilling to slab the book. The 3.5 grade is a result of two spine splits. There is a 11/4 inch split from the top of the spine to just above the top staple and a1 3/16 inch split in the center of the spine. The book is firmly attached at the staples. Page quality is excellent, OW/W, with absolutely no brittleness. This is a solid book with great "curb appeal". Please call with any questions.

Price $8950.00 w/free USA shipping, exact shipping elswhere

We accept Personal checks and Money Orders

(916)331-9203, (916)508-6465, e-mail:brian@a-1comics.com

A-1 Comics 5361 Auburn Blvd. Sacramento, Ca., 95841

DetectiveComics35b.jpgDetectiveComics35.jpg

Steve Borock graded this book a 3.5 but CGC was unwilling to slab the book.

They'll give a grade to a book they won't slab due to overhang?

:news:

I don't mean to derail your thread for this awesome book but I think that's shocking news.

Is it only for walk-through level books?

I don't mean to derail your thread for this awesome book but I think that's shocking news.

was probably an "on the spot" grade given by borock (maybe at a con (shrug) ), as cgc won't grade or assign grades to books they cannot slab (due to overhang, etc)...

Hi,

your description of the book didn't mention whether any resto work or pressing has been done to the book.

Has there been any?

I believe when I previously inquired, there was no resto, and would be hard to press a book with those spine splits (unless a pressing caused the spine splits?)...

give brian a call... I have bought books from them, always pleased

rick

Why would CGC not encapsulate this book? There does not appear to be an overhang, and Tec 35 typically does not have an overhang problem anyway

I have seen this copy several times in Brian's store and at Wondercon---it is not due to overhang, but rather, because CGC believed slabbing would cause the spine splitting to worsen--i.e. detach the cover...I recall a Marvel #2 in CGC 2.0 that Rick bought from C-link having this issue---the book was fine but during shipping the FC had fully detached and slid in the slab (shrug)

This copy is REALLY nice though :applause:

was probably an "on the spot" grade given by borock (maybe at a con (shrug) ), as cgc won't grade or assign grades to books they cannot slab (due to overhang, etc)...

To my knowledge, Brian sent the book to CGC....

Ben can't they just add one of those spine braces like they use to have in some of the older GA slabbs to hold it a bit more secure? Must be one heck of a spine split. Maybe its time to get a professional to add some tape along the inside of the cover so it can get slabbed? Just a thought.

Ben can't they just add one of those spine braces like they use to have in some of the older GA slabbs to hold it a bit more secure? Must be one heck of a spine split. Maybe its time to get a professional to add some tape along the inside of the cover so it can get slabbed? Just a thought.

:o :o :o :o :o :o (tsk)

Yay tape! Making out of reach books more affordable daily!

First off I want to say that I have dealt with A1 on EBay before and they are indeed A1. Secondly, I don't want to derail his thread so maybe this is a topic for another forum but if the spine split is big enough and precarious enough to keep CGC from slabbing it then putting tape on it will probably help avoid the inevitable, no? I still say a slabbed book with a tape notation sells for more than raw book that can't be slabbed for the above noted reasons. A1 my apologies, didn't mean to soil your thread. Great book. (thumbs u

First off I want to say that I have dealt with A1 on EBay before and they are indeed A1. Secondly, I don't want to derail his thread so maybe this is a topic for another forum but if the spine split is big enough and precarious enough to keep CGC from slabbing it then putting tape on it will probably help avoid the inevitable, no? I still say a slabbed book with a tape notation sells for more than raw book that can't be slabbed for the above noted reasons. A1 my apologies, didn't mean to soil your thread. Great book. (thumbs u

Wouldn't tape added now constitute restoration?

No. Remember how that MMC#2 looked after Rick bought it from Comiclink and the cover fell off during shipping. Well it was retaped from top to bottom, still had a blue label. I'm sure I can find tons of other examples.

Nope, the book didn't have tape on the spine when it was printed, so taping it isn't restoring it to its original condition.

I sent several books in to be graded and was surprised to receive the Tec 35 back unencapsulated. When I questioned Steve about it he told me that he had graded it a 3.5 due to the spine splits but it was not slabbed as CGC was concerned about damaging the book. Now, I am not in the loop as tight as most board members so i don't know how common this is. I have had several book from the Central Valley Pedigree which were not encapsulated due to overhang (as well as a large amount of Modern books!). I also would not want anyone to believe you can get a CGC grade without getting the book slabbed. This just happened to be an instance where i contacted Steve right after he was done grading the book but before he knew it would not be encapsulated. Hopefully that answers all questions. No restoration on the book. Brian Peets.

I sent several books in to be graded and was surprised to receive the Tec 35 back unencapsulated. When I questioned Steve about it he told me that he had graded it a 3.5 due to the spine splits but it was not slabbed as CGC was concerned about damaging the book. Now, I am not in the loop as tight as most board members so i don't know how common this is. I have had several book from the Central Valley Pedigree which were not encapsulated due to overhang (as well as a large amount of Modern books!). I also would not want anyone to believe you can get a CGC grade without getting the book slabbed. This just happened to be an instance where i contacted Steve right after he was done grading the book but before he knew it would not be encapsulated. Hopefully that answers all questions. No restoration on the book. Brian Peets.