• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lexington April 5th/ Gem City Con April 6th weekend

63 posts in this topic

For what its worth, I don't think this show promoter does much in the way of advertising unfortunately.

I told some regular customers who I knew would be interested about the show and kirkman. They had no idea it was going on but said they were now going. At the very least the guy could send flyers to stores in the area.

It stinks that I can't get there at the end of the show to snag some good deals from people going home ..but at least I get to hang out with comics all day at work :).

For what its worth, I don't think this show promoter does much in the way of advertising unfortunately.

I told some regular customers who I knew would be interested about the show and kirkman. They had no idea it was going on but said they were now going. At the very least the guy could send flyers to stores in the area.

It stinks that I can't get there at the end of the show to snag some good deals from people going home ..but at least I get to hang out with comics all day at work :).

My LCS had them up all over the place and someone wallpapered half price books with them also.

It's also on comicbookconventions.com where all the geeks go.

ah good to know pirate, I guess cons in ky are so rare that they don't frequent that website although they are pretty net savvy people.

maybe I will see you there...but you got to get there early!!

not a bad show. Out of the 10 dealers there, all had old books. I didn't see a modern in the place really lol. Found some judge dredd trades, Kirkman gave me 3 free WD trades :), sold some junky midgrade silver thors and came home with more money than I left with.

Kirkman and Kidwell were as cool as usual and Nate Bellegarde (atom eve) showed up also. Looking forward to part 2 tomorrow in Dayton.

Saw forum members

Mushie (drove from Indiana for kirkmania)

Cheetah

Dale Roberts

Moonlite

I got there late in the afternoon. My wife had plans for much of the day and the announcement I got forwarded from Kenn Minter (had an artist table) said it was at Ramada Inn on Newtown Pike. I wasted about a half hour trying to find a Ramada on Newtown before I checked a phone book and realized it had to be the one on N Broadway!

By the time I got there about 3:25, almost all the dealers were shutting down. Nostalgia Zone was still set up, so I spent some money there. Prices were OK with 20% or 50% off but I probably bought stuff I normally wouldn't have just so it wasn't a total bust.

No bargain bins in sight, so I hit the 50¢ bin at Collectibles Inc and spent more than I did at the show.

Only person I met from CGC forum was Dale, but didn't buy anything from him because his boxes were already closed up.

Jack

not a bad show. Out of the 10 dealers there, all had old books. I didn't see a modern in the place really lol. Found some judge dredd trades, Kirkman gave me 3 free WD trades :), sold some junky midgrade silver thors and came home with more money than I left with.

Kirkman and Kidwell were as cool as usual and Nate Bellegarde (atom eve) showed up also. Looking forward to part 2 tomorrow in Dayton.

Saw forum members

Mushie (drove from Indiana for kirkmania)

Cheetah

Dale Roberts

Moonlite

Yes it was good to see Anthony again, well ok maybe :).

He and Dale were the only ones I saw. Unfortunately I didn't see to many deals but there were tons of GA and SA there and lots of HG of those. The promoter kept saying there was $1million worth in that room...probably right with just the 10 dealers.

I bought a couple things so it wouldn't be a bust and decided to use some "found money" to treat myself to a VG X-men #3 to add to the collection.

Other comments on the show I will withhold for private discussions or PMs.

I was there too early for Kirkman.

One note: why bring boxes packed TIGHT to a con with books with no backboards (only bagged). Couple places I looked at, I couldn't even search the boxes cause they were too tightly packed. I didn't want to bend up the books or have to go moving their books around so I just passed.

Here are a couple of pics from both days. Forgot to really take pics today. Bought some UK Judge Dredd trades, some mainstream trades, a halfway decent Conan 275, Ronin 5 and a nice X-Men page from Billy Tan. Also bought one of Andrews Archie con exclusive pins.

Jonjesper found me a cgc 9.6 Conan #24 and a raw #24. :luhv:

Sold a bunch of midgrade silver so came home today again with more than when I left.

th_gem010.jpg

th_gem009.jpg

th_gem008.jpg

th_gem007.jpg

th_gem006.jpg

th_gem005.jpg

th_gem004.jpg

th_gem002.jpg

I haven't had a chance to photgraph them yet, but I bought an R2-D2 on a SW card that has a 32 back sticker on it. It is a 12 back card - the 32 back sticker on the the lower half of the back of he card has figures from the first wave of Empire. It's a pretty rare card variation. The other figure is a 20 back Fett offer Jawa, which has the red "offer extended" sticker on the back of the card. I got them for a song because the proof-of-purchases had been neatly cut from both. The bubbles are still sealed though and in great condition. The cards are c8 if not for the cut POP's. They display great in their Star Cases.

If you understand anything in this post, I'll be really impressed! :-)

I understand more than you probably think :) I haven't collected in a while and didn't know they used stickers on the back, so just learned something new.

This probably won't be the kind of report you're looking for. Just a few random thoughts about the Gem City Con. Hadn't been to a Con before. And wasn't sure what to expect.

Bottom line? I loved it. Mostly went just to see what it was like. But ended up spending $$$. Like a kid at a carnival. Mid grade raw to fill runs mostly. I told a collector buddy of mine that it was a good thing my wife was along. She tempered my spending. A lot. Lots of good bargains on my main interest - silver and bronze.

Had to give my wife a quick lesson in what to look for. Then she went searching for titles on my want list. She never read comics. Didn't understand why those long boxes in our bedroom closet are so important. Or why someone would pay me 40 bucks for a 15 cent 1971 issue of Green Lantern. I think she understands now.

Anymore, I'm really not much of a collector. Lately, I've mostly been looking to sell some of my mid grade stuff. And I've never considered submitting or buying CGC books. Let alone, seen one in person.

But, wow. There's something compelling about holding one of those CGC slabs. Even more, when it holds a 8.5 grade copy of the first book I bought in the 70s. My Batman 215 is barely readable now. To see a copy of that pristine beauty in that case was tempting.

Fell in love with a couple of Neal Adams covers I'd not seen before...Flash 195 specifically...Flash, a mad dog, and an angry mob. But with a CGC price in the 200s, I had to pass. Big Neal fan...King Kirby too.

Later, I mentioned to my wife that I was surprised that Stephen Ritter wasn't set up there. Told her about the AF guy from Beavercreek that was going online to sell his collection soon. She mentioned overhearing someone talking to one of the dealers about his website going online soon, with over 10,000 books to start. Must have been him. A shame I missed him.

Sorry, no pictures. Maybe the next con I attend. When's Mid-Ohio?

BTW, Dale...where were you located on the floor? Did I buy a Gold-Key "Steve Zodiac and the Fireball XL5" #1 from you?