• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gus'? Action 1 on eBay....

1,649 posts in this topic

I have seen some of the later issues of this collection up FS on ebay a while back. I do agree that more time and effort should have went into the auctions descriptions. I wish I owned an Action run of #1 through #200.

I believe a fellow board member/well known collector actually owns this run, and must have consigned to SA (shrug)

to the few here on the boards, that know of past SA tactics (intentional? and inaccurate grading, poor/deceptive descriptions, shill bidding, misrepresentation, etc) we know to stay clear, but to the myriad of collectors out there in ebay land that don't have a clue....well, they are like salivating piranahs at the chance to own these books...just look at the recent batman OR collection... if one can't put 2 and 2 together, well, what can I say

I believe a fellow board member/well known collector actually owns this run, and must have consigned to SA (shrug)

to the few here on the boards, that know of past SA tactics (intentional? and inaccurate grading, poor/deceptive descriptions, shill bidding, misrepresentation, etc) we know to stay clear, but to the myriad of collectors out there in ebay land that don't have a clue....well, they are like salivating piranahs at the chance to own these books...just look at the recent batman OR collection... if one can't put 2 and 2 together, well, what can I say

hm I'm glad I didn't bid on any of his books.

let me clarify, that I don't think the consignors are the problem...if they are like me, they are receiving unsolicited inquiries from SA about consigning books to them (from ebay listings that close not meeting reserves, etc), and grandiose promises of "great prices", etc are being made...I think there is plenty of evidence that some (note, I am not saying all, or even most, just "some") of these auctions are, however, being manipulated and blatently dishonest practices are involved...

WTF?! If you click for a larger pic of the Action #10 it takes you to an ended auction for Action #7.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220209005289&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

I noticed that yesterday on a 'Tec 27 that redirected to another 'Tec 27. I think eBay is screwed up.

let me clarify, that I don't think the consignors are the problem...if they are like me, they are receiving unsolicited inquiries from SA about consigning books to them (from ebay listings that close not meeting reserves, etc), and grandiose promises of "great prices", etc are being made...I think there is plenty of evidence that some (note, I am not saying all, or even most, just "some") of these auctions are, however, being manipulated and blatently dishonest practices are involved...

But anyone buying at this level of the game would be coming in with some knowledge, or at the very least consulting with someone who knows better. So posting a auction in this format just begs a much reduced final price. The guy is effectively cutting off his nose to spite his face taking this kind of auction format. And on such a book it'll be measure in ten's of thousands lost doh!

Understood! (thumbs u BTW, I'm still glad I didn't bid. :grin: There seems to be more "Action" than I can afford here on the boards. ;)

But anyone buying at this level of the game would be coming in with some knowledge, or at the very least consulting with someone who knows better. So posting a auction in this format just begs a much reduced final price. The guy is effectively cutting off his nose to spite his face taking this kind of auction format. And on such a book it'll be measure in ten's of thousands lost doh!

oh, I don't totally disagree at all... this auction style is definitely doing an injustice to the book from "our" perspective...I actually looked at this copy up close in SDCC in 2006...it is a really great copy that has its issues ... and for the right price, the owner knows I would/will buy it, but I always hope for the best results for folks, so if he can get a better price, I am happy for him...do I think SA will get that price, you never know, many of their big $ sales have come off ebay via some manipulative rhetoric (I have first hand knowledge/experience of this), but the interest originated from the ebay listing...

and without that beautiful cover, its nothing but the second appearance of superman book. ;)

To me he is proabably just advertising this book in hopes of an off ebay sale, and whoever buys it will know what they are doing. Thus the sloppy description. I can't imagine this would go through as an ebay sale using paypal and book shipped by mail.