• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This otherwise NM book is missing a staple?

23 posts in this topic

I went back about a year, searching the archives for this subject but came up empty handed. So if this has been brought up numerous times before, I apologize.

I have an #113 issue of (my favorite) Turok Son of Stone. This book is especially important to me because it is a .30 cent variant and I think it might be kind of rare. All other issues that I have seen are .35 cent books. The book is a dead ringer for a 9.4, possibly higher except for the fact that it has no bottom staple, though there are holes where the staple should be. This has me puzzled. Can it be a production flaw? I don't think it was removed because of rust because there is no evidence of rust on the paper and the top staple is shiny as new.

I would love to have the book slabbed but i'm worried about what kind of drop in grade the book will have to take, because of the staple issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Bill

55622-turok-113-30-cent-variant.jpg.5cdcb0b66aeb6c4e0469c558e4c543c6.jpg

I suppose one thing I could do is open the book to see if the staple had penetrated all the way through to the centerfold and through it. If it didn't, then that might suggest that it is a production flaw but i'm afraid that I might damage the book by checking it. I have bad luck like that. doh!

What I would really like to know is whether or not it is possible to get a nm grade on a book with a missing staple?

You'll have to check the book. Personally, I have never seen a book with staple holes in the cover only - my guess is the staple is just missing. Trust me, you will not damage the book by just looking at it. :eek:

You will not get a NM 9.4 grade without a staple. The assumption is, if there are holes there, there was once a staple there. Take a vintage staple from another book of the same title, perhaps even the same issue and carefully "restore" it to its original condition. :grin:

You'll have to check the book. Personally, I have never seen a book with staple holes in the cover only - my guess is the staple is just missing. Trust me, you will not damage the book by just looking at it. :eek:

You will not get a NM 9.4 grade without a staple. The assumption is, if there are holes there, there was once a staple there. Take a vintage staple from another book of the same title, perhaps even the same issue and carefully "restore" it to its original condition. :grin:

:(

hm I just happen to have a raw, 35 cent issue and also a CGC 9.6 35 cent copy. :devil:

But what about disclosure? :sorry:

I'm curious about this...open the book and see if all the interior pages have staple holes. If so the staple has been removed. If not, it is possible during the binding proccess that the staple (for whatever reason) didn't penetrate the entire book and just fell away. In this case it might be considered a production error and garner a green lable. You will have to check. The fact that it might be rare (price variant), I would look into it.

btw: that is a great cover! (thumbs u

hm I just happen to have a raw, 35 cent issue and also a CGC 9.6 35 cent copy. :devil:

Due to your self-expressed fascination with the title, I assumed you were slabbing and keeping the variant for yourself. hm You may disclose it to yourself :grin: and also when you sell it after it's slabbed (if it doesn't come back with a Green Label) if you wish. I don't think there is any duty (or procedure) to disclose it to CGC - they'll either notice it or they won't. :)

Due to your self-expressed fascination with the title, I assumed you were slabbing and keeping the variant for yourself. hm You may disclose it to yourself :grin: and also when you sell it after it's slabbed (if it doesn't come back with a Green Label) if you wish. I don't think there is any duty (or procedure) to disclose it to CGC - they'll either notice it or they won't. :)

But we'll know now, won't we? :gossip::grin::sumo::kidaround::hi:

Damn, I opened the cover and there was the staple. The cover evidently popped off of the staple. Can't even tell from the outside.

Thanks anyways for your views Divad. (thumbs u

No NM for this one. :sorry:

:tonofbricks:

Damn, I opened the cover and there was the staple. The cover evidently popped off of the staple. Can't even tell from the outside.

Thanks anyways for your views Divad. (thumbs u

No NM for this one. :sorry:

:tonofbricks:

:tonofbricks: :tonofbricks:

:whistle::hi:

:whistle::hi:

I'm beer posting! :acclaim:

Carefully wiggle the staple back thru the cover. It can be done. It has been done.

Just make sure you tuck the paper back in underneath the staple properly and it should hold in place. Then put it up on eBay, flip it without disclosure as a price variant, and spend the funds on a new copy! lol