• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen art - Frank Miller & Dale Keown

23 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Well, this has to be the worst post I've had to write to the board.

It should be a huge art day notice but instead, it's the anti-art day

email.

The following 2 pages of art were stolen on transit from a seller in France -

Frank Miller (!!) Daredevil 182 page 25

Dale Keown Incredible Hulk 375 page 12

I'm pretty sick about it, as is the seller. The art was insured

(thankfully) so the seller is going to be following up on what happens

next with making a claim. If any one has any insurance claim

experience, either as a seller in France, or as a US buyer on the

end of lost art, your input is HUGELY appreciated.

Scans of both the pages have been added to CAF -

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=57673

If anyone sees or hears of the pages being offered for sale, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Simon

www.gotsuperpowers.com

Hey All,

Well, this has to be the worst post I've had to write to the board.

It should be a huge art day notice but instead, it's the anti-art day

email.

The following 2 pages of art were stolen on transit from a seller in France -

Frank Miller (!!) Daredevil 182 page 25

Dale Keown Incredible Hulk 375 page 12

I'm pretty sick about it, as is the seller. The art was insured

(thankfully) so the seller is going to be following up on what happens

next with making a claim. If any one has any insurance claim

experience, either as a seller in France, or as a US buyer on the

end of lost art, your input is HUGELY appreciated.

Scans of both the pages have been added to CAF -

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=57673

If anyone sees or hears of the pages being offered for sale, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Simon

www.gotsuperpowers.com

From experience. I have had pieces get stuck in US customs on the way in and they fell off the "tracking map" for a few days. But inevitably I get a phone call needing some piece of information.

I hope something like this has happened to your pieces, then you have a shot at a happy ending.

Chris

Simon

You did the right thing by posting here and the CAF. Those were high end pieces and having gotten the word out it should deter anyone from either buying or selling those pieces.

I agree with Chris, the best thing would be a hold-up in customs. What shipping method was used, Fedex, UPS??

S

well, within the US it was delivered via DHL. To clarify though, it's not that the package didn't arrive, it did, just without any art in it. This is making a happy ending to this sad story even less likely.

I'm going to be calling DHL later today to find out what, if anything, they suggest as my next course of action.

Ah, the fun to be had with comic art collecting... :o

Well, this has just got even worse.

As Felix suggest to me, the Miller Daredevil page is happily placed in a collection out west. This guy lifted the scans for both pieces of art from Heritage's website and cropped the watermarking from them. he's admitted to me he never had the artwork and right now, isn't offering to refund me my money. he mailed an empty package to me with the hopes of placing an insurance claim, or just telling me to run and jump.

Thanks to Felix for his detective work and invaluable assistance.

Are there any French collectors in, or close to St. Etienne on the list? Anyone know Julien Gaillard? eBay ID jugl2883

Please email me if you can help.

Cheers

Simon

www.gotsuperpowers.com

Should I repeat things on both boards?

^*(&(*&()*^)(!!!!

Good thing Felix is connected and told you where the real one is (hence the term the godfather..)

I hope it works out for you and you get your money back!

Malvin

Should I repeat things on both boards?

^*(&(*&()*^)(!!!!

Good thing Felix is connected and told you where the real one is (hence the term the godfather..)

I hope it works out for you and you get your money back!

Malvin

It was just sheer luck. The guy who owns it is a comic collector, not an OA collector. He doesn't have a CAF gallery, so I don't think many people would know he has this. He has it framed in his office along with the preceding page. They have special significance for him. I knew it was unlikely he would have sold them.

He also used to be one of the most prominent posters on these boards...maybe he'll make a return appearance? hm

Digging a little deeper, we have found out quite a bit about Julien. Hopefully, Simon will have a positive outcome soon.

Well, this has just got even worse... This guy lifted the scans for both pieces of art from Heritage's website and cropped the watermarking from them. he's admitted to me he never had the artwork and right now, isn't offering to refund me my money. he mailed an empty package to me with the hopes of placing an insurance claim, or just telling me to run and jump.

wow - I'm speechless - very sorry to hear about this Simon :(

Simon

My condolences on an unfortunate situation. Hopefully DHL, Ebay (and Paypal) will pursue fraud charges against him.

As you may recall, when I first started posting my art on my personal website I watermarked my art. When I joined CAF, I continued with that practice. I received some flack from some fans but my explanation was simple. I caught a few people on ebay trying to sell art they did not own by trying to use my digital images for their auctions.

Before ebay changed their policy, I even contacted all the bidders notifying them of the seller's deceit. Ebay now makes it impossible to warn other bidders.

Heritage's watermarks tend to be on the borders only so the art does not get covered up. Unfortunately, this allowed the dirtbag to crop the image.

Kudos to Felix for his amazing "rainman" ability to recall who has what in their collection.

Cheers!

N.

For those not following along on Comicart-l, to me the most shocking aspect of all of this is the alleged scammer went public to do the following:

(a) admit to the alleged scam

(b) state that he was allegedly trying to defraud the insurance company to do the "right thing "

© which was to pay back Simon his money AND

(d) get upset with Simon about not going along with the alleged insurance scam "privately."

Folks, you just can't make this stuff up.

Also, kudos to Nelson for sensing this trend long before this event!

Best regards.

- A

P.S.: Note judicious use of word "allegedly." ;)

Wow. This is unbelieveable. Simon, I wish you the best in all of this. I myself have been on the recieving of fraud (though not nearly on this level) and I know what a terrible state it is to be in. Good luck and hopefully you don't let this experience sour your passion for the hobby...