• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #64 Cloak & Dagger 1st app.

10 posts in this topic

I was in Queens with my wife and she mentioned that there were some comics in an antique store close to her friends store. I was surprised when I looked into the box and saw about 25 copies of PPSSM #64 featuring the 1st appearances of Cloak and Dagger. All the comics were in the VF 8.0 to NM 9.2-9-4 range. I picked out the best 9 and bought them for $23. Should I go back and get the rest? Is there a demand for VF copies of this comic? Was this issue over produced like She-Hulk #1, Rom #1, Dazzler #1 and Alpha Flight #1? Btw, there were a few copies of Alpha Flight #1 as well as a copy of the 2nd appearance of Cloak and Dagger in PPSSM #69. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Agreed. I saw a 9.8 of this issue fetch between 400-500USD on ebay. Huge in 9.8 but anything else is a drop off.

Either way I think you got a solid 1st app book at a great price and will make money off of it if you choose to sell it's just too bad they weren't all 9.8's.

Drop offs in CGC grades blow my mind such as this next example:

A copy of ASM268 - blue label CGC 9.8 -$26.00USD

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-SPIDERMAN-268-CGC-9-8_W0QQitemZ130208694908QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And my copy I sold of the same book just one grade higher in CGC 9.9 mind you it had a double cover - $850USD

I tried to find the link but as I sold it over 3 months ago I guess this does not exist in the available ebay memory. lol.

Mind blowing though what ppl will pay for such a similar book with a ever so slightly higher grade.

Richard

Mind blowing though what ppl will pay for such a similar book with a ever so slightly higher grade.

And the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6 is often times negligible. With my ASM 201-328 run I have been very careful to buy the book and not the grade. Some are 9.6 and some are 9.8 but if you covered up the grade, you wouldn't know the difference. A spine tick can be the difference between a $26 dollar book and a $150 dollar one (and that is just for Copper). That is mind blowing.

Congrats on your sale!

And the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6 is often times negligible. With my ASM 201-328 run I have been very careful to buy the book and not the grade. Some are 9.6 and some are 9.8 but if you covered up the grade, you wouldn't know the difference. A spine tick can be the difference between a $26 dollar book and a $150 dollar one (and that is just for Copper). That is mind blowing.

Congrats on your sale!

Thanks Bruce.

YEah well you have a good run on your hands in 9.6 or 9.8.

I had the entire run at one point or another of 200-300 as you may or may not have seen from a 10K deal I did with Spunky-Do - my buddy John who was #1 in the ASM200-300 set type deal ahead of EMAN last year. You can still see his 2006 ranking at #1 with the award beside his name.

A few good buys were ASM202 at $350 which I sold for around $750. Most of my buys were even money on the sell back but the really rare ones grabbed alot. I bought ASM220-CGC-9.8 for around 505USD and sold for the same thing. Thankfully I didn't lose really anything on it. Not sure if Eman has even added the book into his Set type yet.

ASM-CGC-9.8's are pretty much blue chip in the comic market as long as you have a clue and buy at a reasonable price.

I tried to pry GhostTown's ASM230 off his hands when I was going for the full run of ASM200-300 as that was the only book for 200-300 I needed for the entire run of 9.8's but damn you get overwhelmed buying constantly 200-400 dollar books.

I am currently if I don't run into cash problems going for a nice set of just black costume books.

After my major sale of:

ASM221-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM222-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM224-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM225-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM226-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM233-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM234-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM235-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM236-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM238-CGC-9.8-SS - Sick that I got rid of this 1/1 SS 9.8 - got 1400 for it though

ASM239-CGC-9.8-SS - Another ouch

ASM245-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM250-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM251-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM252-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM258-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM259-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM260-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM264-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM269-CGC-9.8-SS - OK I kept this one Firelord 9.8 SS Sweet book Rub sign

ASM275-CGC-9.8-SS

ASM282-CGC-9.8-SS - Kept this one too Layton sign

ASM285-CGC-9.8-SS - Kept this Gang war beauty

ASM286-CGC-9.8-SS - Kept it

ASM288-CGC-9.8-SS - Kept it as well as I could afford to for now. Hppe that doesn't change.

I had to count but I brought 25 of the 34 or 35 books in SS CGC 9.8 to the market with the help of Anthony / Jon and Kevin who were all great to deal with.

I cracked about 7/8K in 9.8 blue labels to do it but there was only 8 or 9 books that were graded in SS 9.8 before I pulled that fiasco.

With the amount I pumped out at one time they probably looked very "unrare" but the lucky few:

ComicBubba &

QV500 which was supposed to be QV5000 as his ebay name is grabbed them all:

Except for the few I kept:

here's a link to the test site to scans of what I have left and hope I keep em bud.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2283996&page=1#Post2283996

I love spidey.

Hope to fill a full run of black costume spidey books in the ASM 200's.

Good luck in your future collecting as well Bruce! :-)

Richard

That was a great collection you put together and quite the SS goal! I saw a lot of what you have posted on the boards. Good choice in keeping 269 and 285 - great covers. Selling the 238 and 239 had to hurt a little.

I'm pretty sure I bid in a few of your auctions and I think I've lost a few times to Comic Bubba. Need to put my set in the registry sometime soon - might make that a goal for the summer.

A full black costume spidey run is a great collecting goal.

Thanks for the info Richard. Always fun and informative to read what other spidey collectors are doing.

-Cristian

people try to sell them for $15, but $5-$12 is probably a more realistic expectation based on actual completed auctions rather than ebay store prices..

9 copies for $23 isn't fantastic from a pure flipping perspective, but if you're looking for a flip and don't feel like holding out for top dollar for the next 10 years, you can auction them off once every 1-2 weeks, start with the highest grade copies for maybe a $6.99-$9.99 opening bid and once you're down to the VFs like a $4.99 opening bid, but it'll depend on how much bidding you get.