• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers/JLA #2 Out Today <mild spoiler>

24 posts in this topic

Are you kidding?

I mean, it's progressing EXACTLY as it should. sleeping.gif

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... sleeping.gif

I'm not even impressed with Perez's art-- which is saying something because I'm the biggest Perez fan you'll ever want to meet. frown.gif What the hell was wrong with She-Hulk's face? Does she have the mumps or something?

So the Thor Supes clash on cover was a tease frown.gif

I wish! You should see all the Thor fanboys on the Thor and Avengers message boards going absolutely nuts that Superman took Thor out. Here is just a mild taste:

"Kurt, I have been an avid Thor and Superman fan for over 30 years. I feel your take on their fight was very unfair. While I believe Thor is more powerful I do believe that if they fought 100 times it may be a split decision. What I do know is that Thor has fought Galactus, the Celestials and numerous other beings much more powerful than Supes. Thor was never knocked out completely by them with one punch or by one cosmic bolt. What I am saying is I would love to debate this fight with you I do not believe I could ever change your mind. I feel you have sold Thor out by the way in which he lost. Please go back and read some of Thors greatest fights with the Hulk, SilverSurfer and the Celetials way back in the 290-300s. You may change your opinion about Thor. Sorry to see that you were so one sided in this fight."

Fortunately, Kurt Busiek is a regular poster on the Avengers message board, and has no problem replying:

"Sorry you didn't care for it. Superman's fought being more powerful than Thor, too -- superheroes are known for fighting villains that dwarf them in power, and finding a way to win.

> Thor was never knocked out completely by them with one punch or by one cosmic bolt. >

Nor was he here. Have you read the issue?"

Man, if the Thor fans go this nuts, can you imagine how crazy the Superman fans would be if he had lost? makepoint.gif

- D.

I have always thought of Thor as the lesser of the two. And a pre-Crisis Sups would really mop the floor with Thor. I'd also be willing to bet the M. Manhunter could top Thor as well.

Did it also seem that the story suggested that Bats was the smarter and Cap was the slightly better hand to hand fighter? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OK - just read it after the horrible Yankee loss and it wasn't a tease but not the way I thought it would have gone? Did Supes actually pick up/lift Mjolnir since that enchantment has held thru the years and Supes is supposedly susceptible tomagic as well as Kryptonite....I thought that aftermath with Thor laying on the floor was disturbing and couldn't see that ever happeneing and the pileon Supes that followed suit was even more laughable? I like the contests to get the items but I didn't quite understand the ending...Krona wants to destroy the universe for knowledge, yet the Marvel "Gameboy" tries to stop him, yet by gathering all the 12 items of power, wipe out the universe anyway??? HUH?

Thor fanboy = oxymoron...didn't know there was such an animal...

And it is just astounding! Busiek and Perez are crafting a classic. The Batman/Captain America showdown is just the way it should be.

893applaud-thumb.gifsmile.gifthumbsup2.gif

- D.

Captain America and Batman "no-fight" was one way to go I guess. I thought they were gonna kiss each other there for a second.

As far as Supes kicking Thor's butt. Maybe, but not in 1 punch.

Are u saying that Busiek just gave in and kowtowed to the bigger audience in determining who would lose that fight...odd thing is neither died? So did anyone really lose? What if it was 2 of 3 pinfalls or some such?

The Thor conspiracy theorists are saying that Busiek is a DC shill, but Kurt has responded on more than one occasion that no one swayed his storyline decisions. He also mentioned that Thor would win some battles with Supes, but that Superman would win the majority.

One thing Kurt has mentioned, and has caused quite a stir, is that the Marvel heroes are not as powerful (generally speaking) as the DC heroes. I think this is rather obvious, and is why many prefer the Marvel universe - it is a bit more realistic. While some see this as a knock on the Marvel heroes, I see it as the other way around.

By the way, Supes doesn't have a Kryptonite-type adversity to magic, he simply has no real defense against it.

Can't wait for ish #3!

- D.

I have always thought of Thor as the lesser of the two. And a pre-Crisis Sups would really mop the floor with Thor. I'd also be willing to bet the M. Manhunter could top Thor as well.

Did it also seem that the story suggested that Bats was the smarter and Cap was the slightly better hand to hand fighter? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I dunno - I didn't see Bats whipping out a Time/Dimension Travelling vehicle that he had arranged for with his allies.

I am not up on DC - do they have a version of Reed Richards?

- Dave

all the fight scenes were great, but what made me laugh out loud was the Watcher cameo. Even having said this you'll still be surprised when it shows up!

"Contest of Champions" anyone? 893frustrated.gif

Having the Flash continually outrace Quicksilver was literally running the speed concept thing into the ground... The new Captain Marvel travels at the speed of light doesn't she?

Plot, story, everything else 2 out of 10

Would the framing of a few pages fall into the "everything else" category? Cause I found that to be a 2 out of 10 as well. It seemed to structured. You had the opposite opponent on the exact opposite of the page. So, even though the art looked good, it did little to enhance the story telling.